Features Daiwa and Shimano Never Add (Hopefully)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Features Daiwa and Shimano Never Add (Hopefully)

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:39 am

Just had an oddball thought, I would gag if I saw a Metanium or Zillion with a line indicator dial. Are there any other features you feel this way about? The flip out hook keepers aren't terrible, but still kinda tacky. Other than that, flipping switches feel cheap to me. I understand equipping things like this on cheaper reels, just takes the swagger and sleek appearance away from a flagship or other high end model.

I feel like some felt this way about the T-wing to an extent. Anything else I missed?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Features Daiwa and Shimano Never Add (Hopefully)

Post by bronzefly » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:53 am

I am a fan of the T-wing, so we'll get that one out of the way first!

Now, the "hood" on the T3 platform was atrocious. Despite the impressive performance of the T3 1016 (and the spool itself) I absolutely couldn't stand that design. I hope that design and concept get buried in the deepest dungeons at Daiwa GH :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:44 am

One man’s trash…

I would love it if my Daiwas/Shimanos would tell me line poundage and the date I spooled it on the reel somewhere.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:53 pm

Daiwa already did the line weight thing with the Aird Red Tune where the non functional mag dial became a line indicator.
Attachments
135 (1).png
135 (1).png (95.08 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:15 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Daiwa already did the line weight thing with the Aird Red Tune where the non functional mag dial became a line indicator.
Well in that case I am glad it didn't stick around. The hood on the T-wing was tough. I hate to say it because I almost bought one as my first BFS reel, but the Aldebaran BFS's exposed dial is so hard to look at. I really don't get that one, was hoping it would be a magnesium Coresolid body.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
All the way back to the 1980s with the PT series reels...line rating indicator AND flippin' switch.

But yeah, the whole non-functional mag dial "fascia" is totally wacky.
Last edited by dragon1 on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:03 pm

I think Shimano made a reel called the "Castaic" named after my home water.

Yeah....didn't go so well.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:42 pm

When i see a flip out hook keeper i think of Aliexpress grade baitcasters. If shimano or daiwa adds it to their high end reels oof.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:56 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:38 pm
LowRange wrote:
All the way back to the 1980s with the PT series reels...line rating indicator AND flippin' switch.
I still have a bunch of those reels put away
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:59 pm

:idea:

I'm more along the lines of function so line rating indicator is not a deal breaker for me, but anything that is another part to break or a hindrance to solidity of the frame is a no go for me.

Some items that I don't see making a comeback and should probably NOT be "reinstated": folding spinning reel handle, rear drag dial on spinners, required full side plate disassembly to access brakes on BCs.

Items needing a comeback or to be modernized and "reinstated": auto cast trigger on threadlines, center drag dial control a la Abu Suveran as well as lots of the near indestructible internals of the Abu Suveran, 3-D mag braking, drag with synchronized levelwind (a la Golden Age old school Daiwa), worm gear oscillation in Daiwa spinners as well as a modernized long stroke/long cast spool. Metal components on both Daiwa and Shimano on such components as drag stars and nut retainers, and metal frames on such classics as the Chronarch. Also, an updated Shimano HEG with the same or better toughness/reliability of the OG, and more Daiwa aftermarket customization at a reasonable cost. I also personally really like the Shimano attached hinged side plate for quick spool access, aside that there was usually always a small bit of play in the side plate when it was closed back up...so bring back a better version.

A few things off the top of my head.
Last edited by dragon1 on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:01 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:56 pm
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I have six, including an Ian tuned PT33C that I picked up NIB years ago. Three tuned/modded PT33SH rotate as my bomber power launching cranking reels and the other two for parts.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:01 pm
jwfflipper14 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I have six, including an Ian tuned PT33C that I picked up NIB years ago. Three tuned/modded PT33SH rotate as my bomber power launching cranking reels and the other two for parts.
I've never had a pt33sh how does it do with crankbaits
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:45 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm
dragon1 wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

IMO it's way too fast for most cranks, unless speed cranking is your deal. Also, the larger diameter and capacity spool generates roughly 33" IPTs, and the spool is heavy so anything under 1/2 that is not also streamlined, will not cast well. If you are tossing lures like 1/2-1 oz lipless and mag cranks, or spoons and metal baits, it'll send them flying with just about any type of line. There is no IAR and the drag is not very strong, so a modified hand cut Carbontex drag disc will help, as will a set of SIC bearings. I also added a Hawgtech 102mm swept carbon handle with Shimano Septon II power grips and fish mostly 30 braid + 17 leader. On one of my other PT33SH, I will put on some softer 10-12 lb copoly/mono and rip long casts with 1/2-1 oz Kastmasters and other long casting type lures like blade baits and tailspinners.

All this said, it is a near indestructible beast, and casts a helluva a long distance and has great line pick up and can be had for a song anymore. I just like old school reels for some power fishing techs as I dig the nostalgia and get a kick out of witnessing the effectiveness of these out of date reels when the power moving bite is on.

Also, a longer 7'6"+ rod in MH with a mod-fast to fast taper, and a deeper loading top section during casts, works best with these reels as it tends to engage with the heavier spool better for casting. I also make sure to pair with one of three rods that have a very low sitting reel seat or a minima build reel seat. These are tall and bulky reels and you want to get them to sit as low as possible IMO for all day palming and gripping.
Last edited by dragon1 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:55 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Here ya go...and FWIW, I really think that this female was actually in the 7 class now that I have had time to rethink. I was guestimating her weight at the time, but I was cold and shaking from the fight, pumped with adrenaline, and I wanted to get her back in the water so I didn't dig out my digital scale. I also didn't want to have to hook her in the gill area or poke a hole in her mouth.

Regardless, she was every bit as big and heavy as my other three CO 7lb class bass.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... nk#p453502

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:25 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:55 pm
jwfflipper14 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
jwfflipper14 wrote:
[quote=dragon1 post_id=715786 time=1670456304 user_id=4068

Here ya go...and FWIW, I really think that this female was actually in the 7 class now that I have had time to rethink. I was guestimating her weight at the time, but I was cold and shaking from the fight, pumped with adrenaline, and I wanted to get her back in the water so I didn't dig out my digital scale. I also didn't want to have to hook her in the gill area or poke a hole in her mouth.

Regardless, she was every bit as big and heavy as my other three CO 7lb class bass.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... nk#p453502
[/quote]
I've thought about bringing a pt33p to crank with but I just bought 3 Tatula 5.5. Lol
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon