Every new Abu looking the same is incredibly dull and boring

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Every new Abu looking the same is incredibly dull and boring

Post by SSS » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:42 am

What is going on here? This is way worse than Daiwa bombarding us with the Tat frame for years. All new Abu reels have the same frame in different colors? How is anybody supposed to be excited for their new reels?

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Gar ... BUGAR.html

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Every new Abu looking the same is incredibly dull and boring

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:45 am

Are you new to Abu? This has been the case since the introduction of their Revo series however many years ago. It's nothing new. Having said that, the Revo and new Zenon line are different from one another.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:16 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:45 am
Are you new to Abu? This has been the case since the introduction of their Revo series however many years ago. It's nothing new. Having said that, the Revo and new Zenon line are different from one another.
Yeppers, since circa ~ 2006 and the Pure Fishing buyouts...
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:49 pm

I'd just like to see them add a spring under the drag star to eliminate showing threads between the handle and drag star. Would also like to see a true dual pinion support. Daiwa does it with a short shaft (and a long shaft supposedly on the Tatula 300) and Shimano does it with a long shaft. If Abu/Lew's/Doyo want to step up a bit, those 2 areas would be a good start.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:53 pm

I'd just like to see them add a spring under the drag star to eliminate showing threads between the handle and drag star. Would also like to see a true dual pinion support. Daiwa does it with a short shaft (and a long shaft supposedly on the Tatula 300) and Shimano does it with a long shaft. If Abu/Lew's/Doyo want to step up a bit, those 2 areas would be a good start.

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:11 pm

Not going to lie, I like the color scheme on the stx lp.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:00 pm

I kind of hope we’re saying the same thing about the new Zillion platform in 15 years. I didn’t think a frame could feel more right to me than a TD-Z but it sure does.

Joe

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:44 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:45 am
Of course not, but they used to have a couple of frames, and especially very different looks. Like the silver Revo Elite, Aurora and the gold Akatsuki all looked very different from eachother. I am looking at TT right now, and its as if its the exactly same reel from their highest end to their cheapest model. Makes zero sense, and said highest end reel feels cheap when it looks the same as their cheapest reel. Feels to me like Lews is slowly surpassing Abu.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:45 am

filthyPhil wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:11 pm
Not going to lie, I like the color scheme on the stx lp.
Looks like a cheapo Quantum :doh:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:47 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:44 am
]Of course not, but they used to have a couple of frames, and especially very different looks..
Nope.. all the Revo series since their introduction shared the same frame for each generation. Differences were in bearing counts, drag makeup, brake system, handle and knob materials, and finishes.

The new Zenon series may feel “cheap” to some because they are lighter and made with Magnesium frames instead of Aluminum. The Zenon MG-X is a wonderful reel.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:28 pm

These gen 5 reels looks awful. They bumped the price on the Revo X and made it out of plastic.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:13 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:47 am
SSS wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:44 am
]Of course not, but they used to have a couple of frames, and especially very different looks..
Nope.. all the Revo series since their introduction shared the same frame for each generation. Differences were in bearing counts, drag makeup, brake system, handle and knob materials, and finishes.

The new Zenon series may feel “cheap” to some because they are lighter and made with Magnesium frames instead of Aluminum. The Zenon MG-X is a wonderful reel.
Oh i am not just referring to revos, but the whole line up. Do they even have more than one frame for every reel they have?

As for the Zenon MG-X, its being sold for more than a USDM Met, let alone something that's quality and way less expensive like a zillion21. Plus, there's no reason to buy the USDM versions when you can get them for less than 2/3rd of the price directly from Japan.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:14 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:13 pm
Oh i am not just referring to revos, but the whole line up. Do they even have more than one frame for every reel they have?
Haven't seen the new Beast series yet, but yeah, that's the standard practice for them - one frame per family with internal upgrades

As far as I know, 2023 equals a refresh for Revo and the availability of Zenon with Zenon replacing the Revo MG-X and MGXtreme (two reels that formerly shared the Revo frame).

And the Zillion is not a comp for the Zenon because Zillion is Aluminum ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:17 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:14 pm
SSS wrote:
Haven't seen the new Beast series yet, but yeah, that's the standard practice for them - one frame per family with internal upgrades

As far as I know, 2023 equals a refresh for Revo and the availability of Zenon with Zenon replacing the Revo MG-X and MGXtreme (two reels that formerly shared the Revo frame).

On a tangent, the Zillion is Aluminum but something is different between the Aluminum of the Zillion vs the Aluminum Steez A II.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:30 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:14 pm
SSS wrote:

I would personally say that it is a competition for the Zenon, simply because the reel is light. The Zillion is not a tank like the Bantam is, so if you someone is looking for a quality light reel, the Zenon and the Zillion will be on the menu.