Daiwa spool capacity question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DaveT63
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa spool capacity question

Post by DaveT63 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:28 am

I see all kinds of different spools with numbers on them. Like the SLP Works spools have:

RCSB 1000 spool 1012
RCSB 1000 spool 1016
RCSB SV Boost 1000

How do you know what is a shallow or a deep spool? Do these numbers tell me that? I'm looking for a deeper 34mm spool with some nice line capacity I can use in an SV103 for longer casting applications like traps/lipless baits. I have the stock spool which I think will hold plenty of line, but I'd like to get a purple spool to dress this up a bit, and don't want to accidently get a shallow spool. It would also be nice to just understand the numbering system as well.

Thanks,

Dave

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa spool capacity question

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:51 am

I believe the SV103 has the deepest SV spool made. For a purple, deep distance friendly spool I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe a Steez EX spool but I'm not sure how that would behave in an SV103. Is this a stronger magnet reel or is the SV103 stock spool just a stronger braking spool? I forget but I know they have a reputation as being overbraked in stock form. The Steez EX has weak magnets so any spool that is just right in that platform will be overbraked in others. If you don't mind a slight loss in capacity then the Zilion 1000 SV Boost spool in purple would be nice.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasteezexxspg2.html

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:51 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:51 am
I believe the SV103 has the deepest SV spool made. For a purple, deep distance friendly spool I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe a Sreez EX spool but I'm not sure how that would behave in an SV103. Is this a stronger magnet reel or is the SV103 stock spool just a stronger braking spool? I forget but I know they have a reputation as being overbraked in stock form. The Steez EX has weak magnets so any spool that is just right in that platform will be overbraked in others. If you don't mind a slight loss in capacity then the Zilion 1000 SV Boost spool in purple would be nice.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasteezexxspg2.html
I believe it's primarily due to the stock spool. It opens up nicely with the 2016 Zillion TW SV spool, which is what I run in mine, though still not what I think most would consider a distance caster. I would probably go with a Magforce Z breaked spool or the SV Boost spool would likely work as well, I just don't have any experience with those yet. Your options are likely limited if searching specifically for a purple spool with higher capacity.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:34 am

Older spools: 1012 is more shallow, 1016 is deeper...
Newer spools: 1000S is more shallow, 1000 is deeper...

Or so it seems to me anyway.

https://slp-works.com/category/bait_reel_spool
-use translate function in your browser.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:15 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:34 am
Older spools: 1012 is more shallow, 1016 is deeper...
Newer spools: 1000S is more shallow, 1000 is deeper...

Or so it seems to me anyway.

https://slp-works.com/category/bait_reel_spool
-use translate function in your browser.
And 103 is deeper - 105 is shallow. Although 1012 and 105 aren't exactly shallow, more mid depth, not bfs.

DaveT63
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DaveT63 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:56 am

Thanks for the info, time to start looking!

Dave