Magnesium vs aluminum frames on similar reels and rigidity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Magnesium vs aluminum frames on similar reels and rigidity

Post by Bigfella123 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:40 am

Hello all!

Im wondering about magnesium frames vs aluminum frames and how rigid each are when compared to similar frames. Im refering to a steez A vs steez ltd sv tw, or a bantam vs metanium.

I like aluminum reels for their rigidity, and I know magnesium alloy is softer, but I was wondering if the frames/housing is similar to that "locked down" tight tolerance feel that higher end aluminum reels feel like.

Also a follow up question, what alloys are magnesium reels made of? Is it Mg-Al?

Thanks

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Magnesium vs aluminum frames on similar reels and rigidity

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:23 am

Yep "magnesium" reels are an alloy of magnesium and aluminum with a higher magnesium content. They are ridged but can have some flex. I would experience some winding resistance under load with my Steez LTD 8:1 that I would not with my 8:1 Zillion HD. The Steez LTD does have a zaion (plastic) handle side plate and set plate (part of the side plate that twist locks into the frame) so that rather than the frame is the likely cause of the flex I was getting although is was a tiny bit more winding resistance than a Fuego CT 8:1 with similar plastic side plates so maybe there is some credence to the magnesium frame flex.

No doubt that the #1 thing to getting a solid feeling reel is rigid side plates. As long as your magnesium reel has a magnesium side plate and set plate or core body then you should be set. I would think the 2020 met would be pretty solid. The JDM Zillion while not a mag reel is pretty light and super solid feeling.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:01 am

Depends on the alloy of the aluminium and the alloy of the magnesium...

But magnesium is pretty strong and stiff when used in the right ways - hence aerospace.
Attachments
Screenshots_2023-04-07-00-59-51.png
Screenshots_2023-04-07-00-59-51.png (92.38 KiB) Viewed 2618 times

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:21 am

To me it seems likevaluminum reels feel more solid, I have a 22 Bantam and several Metaniums, the Bantam feels more rigid and I prefer it to the magnesium Metanium.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:53 pm

I would take a bare titanium reel over anything else, just so it could be harder to scratch and safe for fresh and saltwater. If not, i'd go with magnesium on everything. Worrying about rigidity when fishing for bass is silly, unless your reel is made out of plastic, and you're fishing in heavy cover.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:11 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:53 pm
I would take a bare titanium reel over anything else, just so it could be harder to scratch and safe for fresh and saltwater. If not, i'd go with magnesium on everything. Worrying about rigidity when fishing for bass is silly, unless your reel is made out of plastic, and you're fishing in heavy cover.
Rigidity?
Hook into a 10lb + Largemouth, shallow water, grass and wood, Pucker Factor increases to Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:47 am

The rigidity of magnesium alloy is the reason that it doesn't feel as solid as aluminum, if that makes sense. It is so rigid that it doesn't absorb vibrations as well as aluminum, so you feel more through the reel while reeling against the resistance of the bait. Simply put, MG alloy is more susceptible to harmonics than other metals, which is why some people describe it as a "hollow" feel. I personally tell people to use a MG reel with some type of hearing protection, then see if you notice the hollowness. Almost every time, I've had those folks come back and say, "I guess it was some sort of low-level sound, because the same reel "feels" crazy-smooth with ear muffs on".
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:41 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:47 am
The rigidity of magnesium alloy is the reason that it doesn't feel as solid as aluminum, if that makes sense. It is so rigid that it doesn't absorb vibrations as well as aluminum, so you feel more through the reel while reeling against the resistance of the bait. Simply put, MG alloy is more susceptible to harmonics than other metals, which is why some people describe it as a "hollow" feel. I personally tell people to use a MG reel with some type of hearing protection, then see if you notice the hollowness. Almost every time, I've had those folks come back and say, "I guess it was some sort of low-level sound, because the same reel "feels" crazy-smooth with ear muffs on".
I won't debate the fact of magnesium alloy's rigidity BUT i'm not sure if that's what I'm sensing in my hands. There is a diffence in hand-feel between the new Zillion and the Aluminum Steez II. The II has no flex, the opposite of what the Zillion feel like.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:44 pm

Honestly how rigid you need a reel to be for fishing those damn it large mouth bass?

Take good care of your gears (ie. don't drop it on the ground) they will be fine. ;)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:48 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:41 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I won't debate the fact of magnesium alloy's rigidity BUT i'm not sure if that's what I'm sensing in my hands. There is a diffence in hand-feel between the new Zillion and the Aluminum Steez II. The II has no flex, the opposite of what the Zillion feel like.
The Steez SHOULD feel more rigid, as the top part of the reel is actually an integral part of the frame, not a separate, screwed-on plastic top hood like the new Zillion has. Palm that Zillion when reeling in a fish and that top piece will indeed flex as you squeeze tighter. I noticed the same thing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:07 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:48 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:41 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
The Steez SHOULD feel more rigid, as the top part of the reel is actually an integral part of the frame, not a separate, screwed-on plastic top hood like the new Zillion has. Palm that Zillion when reeling in a fish and that top piece will indeed flex as you squeeze tighter. I noticed the same thing.
That exchange reminded me of the Ancient Greeks debating "Universal Truths".