Finesse baitcaster under 220ish

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
d510addict
Angler
Angler

Finesse baitcaster under 220ish

Post by d510addict » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:23 pm

All,
I've been hunting for an Alphas CTSV in left hand for awhile but it seems the lefties require a steep premium. Is there a reel, JDM or USDM that rocks for baits in the 1/8th to 1/4 oz range for under 220? Or possibly a cheaper reel that can be upgraded readily with a shallower and lighter weight spool? I can almost get where I want with an old Daiwa AIRD. It performs surprisingly well compared to my equally old Lews Speed Spool LFS and Johnny Morris Pro Qualifier. But the bearings arent the best and im sure surf casting 3 -5 ounces didnt do it any favors.
I also have an SLX BFS which works great but I am worried about its durability....it feels like a cheap toy.

My end goal is to throw Ned baits that will range from 4.5 to 6.5ish grams depending on the plastic design, with a light powered rod.

Thank you,

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finesse baitcaster under 220ish

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:02 am

You have a ton of options. Does the ability to skip the bait have any importance to you?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:48 pm

See if you can locate an OG Aldebaran BFS or Aldebaran MG7 and drop a finesse spool into it.

Also, a 34 mm LH Daiwa gives you a lot of finesse/BFS spool options.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:32 pm

Not alot to skip under. What year aldebaren?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:08 am

d510addict wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:23 pm
All,
I've been hunting for an Alphas CTSV in left hand for awhile but it seems the lefties require a steep premium.
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/r10 ... ch_suggest

This will be about 165 tyd.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:28 am

d510addict wrote:
All,
I've been hunting for an Alphas CTSV in left hand for awhile but it seems the lefties require a steep premium. Is there a reel, JDM or USDM that rocks for baits in the 1/8th to 1/4 oz range for under 220? Or possibly a cheaper reel that can be upgraded readily with a shallower and lighter weight spool? I can almost get where I want with an old Daiwa AIRD. It performs surprisingly well compared to my equally old Lews Speed Spool LFS and Johnny Morris Pro Qualifier. But the bearings arent the best and im sure surf casting 3 -5 ounces didnt do it any favors.
I also have an SLX BFS which works great but I am worried about its durability....it feels like a cheap toy.

My end goal is to throw Ned baits that will range from 4.5 to 6.5ish grams depending on the plastic design, with a light powered rod.

Thank you,
Are you not a fan of the current Alphas SV TW? The JDM shallow spool lefty can be had for ~$190 from at least one well known retailer. Seems like a no brainer unless I'm missing something. It would be my first pick to do exactly what you are looking to do.

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:25 am

I've been eyeing it. Have you used one?

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:48 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:28 am
d510addict wrote:
All,

Thank you,
Are you not a fan of the current Alphas SV TW? The JDM shallow spool lefty can be had for ~$190 from at least one well known retailer. Seems like a no brainer unless I'm missing something. It would be my first pick to do exactly what you are looking to do.
Ive never put hands on the Alphas. But I keep reading that the reels lower limit isn't much below 1/4oz. I would hope that not to be the case as my AIRD launches 1/4 oz baits. I know it's a smoking deal, what are the spool options for it?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:06 pm

d510addict wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:32 pm
Not alot to skip under. What year aldebaren?
2013 Alde BFS: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbfsvt3airfinalpt1.html

OG 2009-2012 Aldebaran:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoaldebaran.html
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:33 pm

d510addict wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:48 am
Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:28 am
d510addict wrote:
All,

Thank you,
Ive never put hands on the Alphas. But I keep reading that the reels lower limit isn't much below 1/4oz. I would hope that not to be the case as my AIRD launches 1/4 oz baits. I know it's a smoking deal, what are the spool options for it?
Good point. It might not be the best option for 1/8 oz but would be great for 1/4 oz. I have the Alphas Air but not the Alphas SV TW. I don't know of any 32mm spools available, but I'm sure others can comment on that.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:51 pm

Another reel worth considering is an Alphas SV 105.