Abu Garcia Revo aficionados question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Abu Garcia Revo aficionados question

Post by Freddie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:15 am

I'm the owner of a 2018 Revo4 Premier with the IVCB brakes and actually really like it. The only major issue I have with it is the large capacity spool 145 yards of 12# line is way too much for the uses that I need here on the east coast chasing river smallmouth. Despite the large capacity spool it still casts finesse lures surprisingly well(down to 4 grams although it struggles to go much lower).
I believe the 10 gram spool+IVCB brakes contribute to this.

I've noticed that the Japanese have a shallower spool version of the same thing called the Elite8 IVCB that is also available in a 8.0:1 gear ratio. I'm guessing these spools are interchangeable? Although it's not a lot shallower of a spool anything would be better.

The Japanese also have the older Elite7/8 reels that also have IVCB-6 brakes and are also more shallow. Are these spools interchangeable with the REVO4 Premier? Also the Revo4 Ike and STX reels...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Abu Garcia Revo aficionados question

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:52 am

Pretty sure the Revo4 models below Premier have spools with the shaft through design, so those spools will not work in the Premier.

I've not handled the JDM Elite8, so cannot comment on compatibility with that reel.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:27 pm

Maybe. There are some shared spools between gen 3 and 4 reels. I have a gen 3 Revo Elite i converted to IVCB from Doyo dual brake. I used the gen 3 deez spool which is a shallow light weight IVCB spool and a doner race from an MGX.

They sell a Deez spool for the 4th gen Revo Elite and that would probably be your best bet as long as you like blue. Ebay wants a bit much for it but you can probably find it on Japanese market sites. You would have to verify that the Deez spool is indeed shallower than your stock spool.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:26 pm

I've seen those blue Deez spools on the Bay but the only info I can find indicates they are for the 2013 version of the Elite7/8 which would be the REVO3 I believe.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:20 am

Freddie wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:26 pm
I've seen those blue Deez spools on the Bay but the only info I can find indicates they are for the 2013 version of the Elite7/8 which would be the REVO3 I believe.
Revo 3 and 4 will share spools depending on the reel. I'm pretty sure a revo 3 deez spool would drop into your revo 4 premier. Is it worth it? It's not much shallower and it's blue. I found a complete gen 3 deez kit for $67 with spools, nut retainer and spool knob. Still would need to get a bunch of AMO abu blue parts to complete the look. I doubt it would really cast any better with the spool being marginally shallower. It would be a labor of love for a unique gen 4 IVCB reel.
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:37 am

Measure off about 50 - 75 yds of "X#" test as your primary line and fill from spool to X# with backing. I've been doing it for decades and it works fine.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:51 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:20 am
Freddie wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:26 pm
Revo 3 and 4 will share spools depending on the reel. I'm pretty sure a revo 3 deez spool would drop into your revo 4 premier. Is it worth it? It's not much shallower and it's blue. I found a complete gen 3 deez kit for $67 with spools, nut retainer and spool knob. Still would need to get a bunch of AMO abu blue parts to complete the look. I doubt it would really cast any better with the spool being marginally shallower. It would be a labor of love for a unique gen 4 IVCB reel.
Can anyone confirm this?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:05 am

Cant confirm the compatibility of Revo3 & 4 spools... my memory doesn't go that far back :lol:

But... just as an FYI in case you're feeling like spending the money, the current gen Zenon MG-LTX has a spool rated for 100yds of 12lb test... the reel is equipped with IVCB-4 ... but it's pretty pricy and an Mg reel vs aluminum.
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:09 am

Oh actually...

Revo 4 Premier = IVCB-6

Revo3 Premier = IVCB-4

Not to say the spools wouldn't still fit in each of the other reels, but the brakes are not the same... they'd still work if the fit is right.

Gen 3 STX had the Infini brake system though it is a non-shaft through spool:
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 am

Some gen 4 share spools with some gen 3. You can also just buy an AMO 4 arm IVCB brake and potentially fit it to an AMO magnetic spool. AMO sells both. Not sure on the installation process.

Some spool that fits both some gen 3 and some gen 4

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:54 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:05 am
Cant confirm the compatibility of Revo3 & 4 spools... my memory doesn't go that far back :lol:

But... just as an FYI in case you're feeling like spending the money, the current gen Zenon MG-LTX has a spool rated for 100yds of 12lb test... the reel is equipped with IVCB-4 ... but it's pretty pricy and an Mg reel vs aluminum.
Are the Zenon spools all 32mm diameter?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:52 pm

Freddie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:54 am
Are the Zenon spools all 32mm diameter?
The MG-X is close... when I measure them to approximate volume, I measure to the bevel, not outer diameter of the spool.. MG-X measured at 31.5mm to the bevel, so likely 32mm to the outer rim of the spool.

I did not measure the MG-LTX because Zander intends to write that one up. However, I seem to recall playing around with swapping spools in the MG-LTX and MG-X and the spools were not compatible with one another, so... 🤷‍♂️
Cal, Managing Editor

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:28 am

Thank you for the info! It looks like the new LTX is the replacement of the MGXtreme2 but with a slightly shallower spool and possibly a drag clicker? I can't wait to see the review of the MG-LTX.

Daiwa and Shimano get a lot of love on here and for good reason...I have a lot of their equipment too but I think Abu is really close to the top with some of there flagship reel designs.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:34 am

I'd be interested in knowing if the 3 Zenon MG reels all share the same diameter spool?