Still trying to dial in Met 20 JDM casting settings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Still trying to dial in Met 20 JDM casting settings

Post by green weenie » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:23 am

Hey all! I’ve been using these reels for about 6 months now but still don’t think I’m getting everything out of them that I can. I have them set on a slow controlled tension knob, 2 brakes on-across, and still need to be on 3-4 to keep from fluffing. I’m using different sizes of YGK upgrade x8. I want to have a little more aggressive settings increase distance and loosen up that spool tension as it restricts reel turn smoothness to some degree-no free spin when turned quickly and released, if that makes sense

Thanks in advance

Wes

KOmar
Angler
Angler

Re: Still trying to dial in Met 20 JDM casting settings

Post by KOmar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:13 pm

Ygk Upgrade is too soft for BC

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:26 pm

KOmar wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:13 pm
Ygk Upgrade is too soft for BC
Just this morning, I was using the 40lb YGK + 15lb Tatsu leader with my Ian tuned Steez Limited SV 105, the spool has a Type R+ spring and German GRW bearing, and I was slinging a 1/3 oz Zip N Ziggy a damn good distance with excellent control...so it may not be the YGK unless he's using a really low test rating. Honestly, I think 45lb & 50lb YGK X8 Upgrade would do better on most BC reels.

Sorry no input from me on how to set up your Met 20, aside maybe trying different brake block sizes?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by green weenie » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:43 pm

Yea, thanks, 40.50, and 60 lb. I’m close just seem to be a bit off, like I’m missing the juice!

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:11 am

Set your cc to just remove side to side, put ALL 4 blocks on (this will not make you less manly), set the dial to 4 and adjust down from there. If you can go down to under 2 on the dial, lock 2 brake blocks up, set your dial to 6, and move down from there. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:32 am

Don't have the reel, but i am always hearing that 2 brakes on these is too low, especially if you put your own ultra light oil in the spool+side plate bearings. So 3 brakes is probably the best option, and tight'ish cast control shouldn't be needed in any high reels.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:34 pm

a1712 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:11 am
Set your cc to just remove side to side, put ALL 4 blocks on (this will not make you less manly), set the dial to 4 and adjust down from there. If you can go down to under 2 on the dial, lock 2 brake blocks up, set your dial to 6, and move down from there. Brian.
This is how mine are set up, all brakes on and dial ~2. Any brakes off and its backlash city for me. I remember reading back when SVS first came out that four blocks on was equivalent to two blocks in the old VBS

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:20 pm

Try stripping some line off the reel?

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 pm

Since I’ve bought some UL spools, I had to take 2 brake blocks from somewhere so I took them out of my JDM Mets. Never had any problems just using 2 blocks with the Met.

2 blocks on, minimal side play, 2.5-5 on the dial for
Berkley X9 from 10-14LB on ML to MH rods.

Contrary to what has been said I strongly believe going thinner on the braid is crucial to gaining distance. If a 14lb FC is sufficient for a situation, 14lb braid with a 14lb FC leader is too. If I’d use a thick 50lb rope I’d waste distance for gaining nothing. Especially if:
- the braid soaks up some water after a couple of casts, that weighs down big time
- we’re talking total lure weights of 1/4-1/2oz. 1oz lures might not be effected as much.

With this setup my Mets send my lures to the moon.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:50 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 pm
Since I’ve bought some UL spools, I had to take 2 brake blocks from somewhere so I took them out of my JDM Mets. Never had any problems just using 2 blocks with the Met.

2 blocks on, minimal side play, 2.5-5 on the dial for
Berkley X9 from 10-14LB on ML to MH rods.

Contrary to what has been said I strongly believe going thinner on the braid is crucial to gaining distance. If a 14lb FC is sufficient for a situation, 14lb braid with a 14lb FC leader is too. If I’d use a thick 50lb rope I’d waste distance for gaining nothing. Especially if:
- the braid soaks up some water after a couple of casts, that weighs down big time
- we’re talking total lure weights of 1/4-1/2oz. 1oz lures might not be effected as much.

With this setup my Mets send my lures to the moon.
That's true to a certain extent, in this case 40lb YGK X8 Upgrade is about the same diameter of 10-15 X9. Also, reels with wide spools and slow level winds don't play nice with thin braids. Additionally, a hard hookset on lighter braid will snap it due to shock force and no give, especially when a stiffer rod is used on a shorter slack line...this is especially true with a stout hook bait like found on most bigger jigs.

Essentially, there is no way ~ 14lb YKM or X9 will be able to withstand hard/short slack line hooksets with a heavy powered/fast action rod on a large diameter single hook lure, without snapping. 14lb fluoro, mono, co-poly, yes that is possible, and even then that's a bit light with a heavy+ rod in heavy cover. All things being equal for line diameter, as test rating is subjective and 20lb PP or 832 is much thicker than 20lb in X9 and especially in YGK X8 Upgrade.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:44 am

That would make the upgrade the first braided line that has a significantly higher breaking strength than any other at the same diameter. Essentially if you look at the PE rating, they’re all pretty much the same. PE2.0 x9 = 30lb Asian, PE2.0 YGK upgrade = 30lb Asian. I’ve just used the US pound test strength for the x9 as I thought that’s what everyone here is the most familiar.

What you’re describing is not a job for 15lb straight FC, so I wouldn’t have said use a PE2.0 braid then. That would work with 20LB FC so I‘d go with a PE2.5 / 20LB US / 37LB Asian plus 20lb leader.

Still I feel like you can generally go thinner than the usual 50 or 60lb braids used in the US by using a leader with a proper FG knot to dampen the shock. With a long leader length, I never had a break-off during the hookset. That’s 14 feet of leader usually.

I have downgraded to PE3.0 / 30LB US / 45LB Asian for my shore pike setup throwing 2-4oz lures quite a while ago. XXH Tailwalk Fullrange, Bantam MGL, no problemo. Just a little more casting distance.

But if you can’t compromise on line size, that extra distance we‘re trying to achieve isn’t possible with the Met. In my mind it’s the limiting factor here.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:39 pm

Yep that makes sense...a longer leader does forgive a lot of the shock load on a lighter braid. Also, a longer more mod-fast tapered rod also helps, and still provides for a good hookset.