Shimano SLX BFS thoughts

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano SLX BFS thoughts

Post by montey » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:48 am

Been interested in the SLX BFS reel for bass BFS fishing. 1/8-1/4oz baits with braid.
Any opinions on the reel? It will go on a Phenix Feather L rod.

Thx

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano SLX BFS thoughts

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:48 am

It looks to share the same body as the Scorpion/Curado BFS. Pictures match up perfect, but you can see differences in the spools; the SLX doesn't have as many holes so it isn't quite as light as the Curado/Scorpion BFS spool. As far as bearings go, the SLX does have X-ship, so it has 2 pinion, 2 spool, 1 main shaft, and an anti reverse. The Curado/Scorpion BFS has the same plus one bearing per knob for 8 total.

I can't give you an honest thought on the SLX, but if the Curado BFS is that close, it should be a good reel. I think for the lure range you described, casting should be fine as long as you aren't using 10lb fluorocarbon or thicker. Know someone who sold a Curado BFS they used for bass BFS fishing because they used heavier line and the capacity affected them.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano SLX BFS thoughts

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:48 am

I really like the SLX BFS for bass fishing. Casts all those ned rigs, small hard baits and all that common with finesse bass fishing. The reel struggles with really lightweight stuff but, it wasn't made to cast UL lures.

It's basically the Curado BFS and Scorpion BFS for less money. Some small differences but, the biggest difference is the color.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing