All new steez sv tw

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: All new steez sv tw

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

So to be certain I am understanding this correctly, the new Steez has a tension knob/cast control cap that cannot be physically moved or adjusted either way. It is literally stuck and fixed?

I have newer Daiwa reels with the zero adjuster tension knob like the Zillion HD for example but it can still be backed off or tightened it just obviously requires more effort and force than cast control caps of the past.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 am

It can be moved, there is a tool inside the box that allows you to adjust it.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 am
It can be moved with the tool. It cannot be adjusted. The dial does nothing to change spool tension.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:11 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 am
Real Pudd legend wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:04 am
It can be moved with the tool. It cannot be adjusted. The dial does nothing to change spool tension.
exactly. pinion shaft is gone now meaning gone are the tension adjustment if that helps some understand.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:03 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am
So to be certain I am understanding this correctly, the new Steez has a tension knob/cast control cap that cannot be physically moved or adjusted either way. It is literally stuck and fixed?

I have newer Daiwa reels with the zero adjuster tension knob like the Zillion HD for example but it can still be backed off or tightened it just obviously requires more effort and force than cast control caps of the past.
The new “zero adjuster” knob can be moved with the tool supplied in the box but the only thing it’s used for is to gain access to the pinion bearing. The new design no longer has a floating spool shaft which in past designs was the thing that actually applied the tension to the spool. Daiwas trying to force a “true zero adjust” concept by having a fixed spool tension set from the factory

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

I had no idea the new Steez had that new pinion design. Is there still a hole in it or is it solid now?

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm
I had no idea the new Steez had that new pinion design. Is there still a hole in it or is it solid now?
No hole

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am

Looks like another reel I will pass on then. I too prefer to have control over the spool tension that actually helps tighten the tension or make it lose.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am

There's gotta be a stack of shims under the palm side spool bearing like most reels. Removing one of these should free up some side to side movement of the spool.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am
There's gotta be a stack of shims under the palm side spool bearing like most reels. Removing one of these should free up some side to side movement of the spool.
with this design the only way to achieve spool tension would either that or to shim out the spool bearing

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am

One thing I would add for anyone who decides to become an early adopter of a brand new design reel buying directly from japan is to wait for like 2-6 months after its released if possible or if you already bought it periodically check the manufacturers website for any notices regarding it. Biggest example was the 23 SS Air had a big recall in japan due to defective braking rings that would break off the sideplate. And it’s kinda hard and a massive pain in the butt to return a recalled reel from across an ocean.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 am

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am
One thing I would add for anyone who decides to become an early adopter of a brand new design reel buying directly from japan is to wait for like 2-6 months after its released if possible or if you already bought it periodically check the manufacturers website for any notices regarding it. Biggest example was the 23 SS Air had a big recall in japan due to defective braking rings that would break off the sideplate. And it’s kinda hard and a massive pain in the butt to return a recalled reel from across an ocean.
I follow this for sure now. I bought a Stradic FM and had to send it back due to a tick, bought it the second they were in stock. Bought a Conquest SE right when they were available, watched it daily. It had grease all over the gear that turns the brake dial and none on the actual dial (opposite my working reel). Either way a guy from Thailand messaged me on YouTube and said he and a few others experienced the same issue with their Conquest and it was just an early run mistake.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm

When I had an issue with a zillion a few years back, Japan lure shop sent me an RMA with paid postage back to Japan. I had a replacement zillion in about 2 weeks.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:07 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm
When I had an issue with a zillion a few years back, Japan lure shop sent me an RMA with paid postage back to Japan. I had a replacement zillion in about 2 weeks.
Digi took care of me VERY quickly, so did JLS when they sent me the wrong model Conquest. I choose to fix my Conquest SE problem myself because I felt I had upset them. They sent a message that said something like "odd you have two returns already" so I felt bad and fixed it myself. Digi still would have taken the Conquest SE back, just made me feel odd to return 2 reels back-to-back. It could have been lost in translation but was in fact 2 real issues.

JDM_Guy2
Angler
Angler

Post by JDM_Guy2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:56 am

Any particular reason why they took away the tension adjustment knob and made it static?