All new steez sv tw

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: All new steez sv tw

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:03 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:41 pm
My US version works like a charm! I've had a hard time putting it down, especially paired with the RC 73H. Long casts, pitching, and pinpoint accurate casts have all been a breeze. I'm really enjoying the new 2024 Steez SV TW 8-)
Is there a difference between the US and JDM version that would affect the spool tension?
I wouldn't think so, but I haven't looked. If you had a US version, you could send it in to an Executive Service center for inspection and repair free of charge. I was simply offering commentary on my experience with the US version which has been nothing but positive.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:38 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:03 am
CFDoc wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
My US version works like a charm! I've had a hard time putting it down, especially paired with the RC 73H. Long casts, pitching, and pinpoint accurate casts have all been a breeze. I'm really enjoying the new 2024 Steez SV TW 8-)
Is there a difference between the US and JDM version that would affect the spool tension?
I wouldn't think so, but I haven't looked. If you had a US version, you could send it in to an Executive Service center for inspection and repair free of charge. I was simply offering commentary on my experience with the US version which has been nothing but positive.
I can also send this reel back to Japan Lure Shop, JP angler, Japan Tackle, Asian Portal Fishing, etc. free of charge. I had a Zillion SV TW that came from the factory with a broken bearing retainer. I sent it back to JLS and they sent me a brand new Zillion, free of charge.

The notion that JDM dealers are somehow out to screw US customers over is false. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with them. And I’m not saying you’re accusing JDM dealers of acting that way but JDM dealers have offered services to me that match, or even exceed, services I’ve received from US dealers.

At current prices, I could buy a second copy of every part, have the parts assembled, put in a black box that says 24 Steez SV TW on it, and have my own Executive Service parts center for less money than a single USDM Steez. Which is insane.

I am glad to hear that tight spool tension is not in every Steez though. I had another member PM me and say their JDM spool wasn’t behaving like mine. Which means there is a culprit that I can probably figure out and either fix or send back to JLS.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:33 am

Also check your magnet rings to make sure they rotate when adjusting the dial.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:45 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:38 am
bronzefly wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:03 am
CFDoc wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
I can also send this reel back to Japan Lure Shop, JP angler, Japan Tackle, Asian Portal Fishing, etc. free of charge. I had a Zillion SV TW that came from the factory with a broken bearing retainer. I sent it back to JLS and they sent me a brand new Zillion, free of charge.

The notion that JDM dealers are somehow out to screw US customers over is false. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with them. And I’m not saying you’re accusing JDM dealers of acting that way but JDM dealers have offered services to me that match, or even exceed, services I’ve received from US dealers.

At current prices, I could buy a second copy of every part, have the parts assembled, put in a black box that says 24 Steez SV TW on it, and have my own Executive Service parts center for less money than a single USDM Steez. Which is insane.

I am glad to hear that tight spool tension is not in every Steez though. I had another member PM me and say their JDM spool wasn’t behaving like mine. Which means there is a culprit that I can probably figure out and either fix or send back to JLS.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of each of those JDM dealers always covering return shipping to Japan, doing repairs for free, or replacing them for free. They have stepped up their game if they're offering all this free service to US customers these days! I'm not sure where the notion that JDM dealers have nefarious intentions came from however as you're correct, I've written nor implied anything of the sort. Regardless, we all make our own choices for our own reasons. Best of luck with your reel issue!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:32 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:45 am

Interesting. I hadn't heard of each of those JDM dealers always covering return shipping to Japan, doing repairs for free, or replacing them for free.
And you forgot to mention at half the MSRP cost!

Brozefly wrote: I'm not sure where the notion that JDM dealers have nefarious intentions came from however as you're correct, I've written nor implied anything of the sort.
Well you came in here only offering a thinly veiled sales pitch for Daiwa US Executive Service, a subtle criticism for buying JDM, and no real insight as to what may be causing my issue. So I felt the need to defend my wonderful experiences with many JDM dealers.
Bronzefly wrote:Regardless, we all make our own choices for our own reasons.
Correct. And sorting through my emails from The Tackle Trap Shopify account shows that I’ve spent over $6k since 2018 on Megabass and Daiwa products.

Bronzefly wrote:Best of luck with your reel issue!
Thanks so much for your help!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:24 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:32 am
bronzefly wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:45 am

Interesting. I hadn't heard of each of those JDM dealers always covering return shipping to Japan, doing repairs for free, or replacing them for free.
And you forgot to mention at half the MSRP cost!

Brozefly wrote: I'm not sure where the notion that JDM dealers have nefarious intentions came from however as you're correct, I've written nor implied anything of the sort.
Well you came in here only offering a thinly veiled sales pitch for Daiwa US Executive Service, a subtle criticism for buying JDM, and no real insight as to what may be causing my issue. So I felt the need to defend my wonderful experiences with many JDM dealers.
Bronzefly wrote:Regardless, we all make our own choices for our own reasons.
Correct. And sorting through my emails from The Tackle Trap Shopify account shows that I’ve spent over $6k since 2018 on Megabass and Daiwa products.

Bronzefly wrote:Best of luck with your reel issue!
Thanks so much for your help!
And those orders are very much appreciated, thank you! Once again, I was simply commenting on my experience with my reel. I didn't quote you, I wasn't referring to your issue in any way whatsoever. There have been many different discussions in this thread and my reply was in reference to previous comments about the reel. Yes, I'll always highlight the fact that Daiwa USA Steez and Exist come with Executive Service, that's part of my job. It isn't a slight, nor a knock on anyone. As I wrote, we all make choices for our own reasons and I'm not laying any blame anywhere.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:
And those orders are very much appreciated, thank you! Once again, I was simply commenting on my experience with my reel. I didn't quote you, I wasn't referring to your issue in any way whatsoever. There have been many different discussions in this thread and my reply was in reference to previous comments about the reel. Yes, I'll always highlight the fact that Daiwa USA Steez and Exist come with Executive Service, that's part of my job. It isn't a slight, nor a knock on anyone. As I wrote, we all make choices for our own reasons and I'm not laying any blame anywhere.

We good :D

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 pm

So here’s my findings thus far. I’m 99% sure the reel is behaving as Daiwa designed it, I’m just gonna have to get used to it.

I spent a good many hours this weekend throwing a lot of different bait weights, various line types/weights, and several rods. I also did some comparisons against the Zillion SV TW where everything was the same between the setups, only the reel was different.

Essentially, this new Steez SV TW comes from Daiwa with a specific spool tension setting and there’s no option to change it. If you’re used to throwing various reels with spool tension close to what Daiwa has chosen for this reel, you should be fine.

For me, I now realize that I prefer to have extremely loose spool tension settings on my reels so I am having to get used to tighter spool tension settings to use this steez. My tendency for this steez is for a bait to go right of my target when throwing left handed side arm and high of my target when flipping/pitching.

Trends that I have found: heavier baits seem to make the issue go away and throwing lighter poundage line and not filling the spool to the top seem to help as well.

Still don’t know why Daiwa wouldn’t just let you adjust spool tension on this reel.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 am

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 pm
So here’s my findings thus far. I’m 99% sure the reel is behaving as Daiwa designed it, I’m just gonna have to get used to it.

I spent a good many hours this weekend throwing a lot of different bait weights, various line types/weights, and several rods. I also did some comparisons against the Zillion SV TW where everything was the same between the setups, only the reel was different.

Essentially, this new Steez SV TW comes from Daiwa with a specific spool tension setting and there’s no option to change it. If you’re used to throwing various reels with spool tension close to what Daiwa has chosen for this reel, you should be fine.

For me, I now realize that I prefer to have extremely loose spool tension settings on my reels so I am having to get used to tighter spool tension settings to use this steez. My tendency for this steez is for a bait to go right of my target when throwing left handed side arm and high of my target when flipping/pitching.

Trends that I have found: heavier baits seem to make the issue go away and throwing lighter poundage line and not filling the spool to the top seem to help as well.

Still don’t know why Daiwa wouldn’t just let you adjust spool tension on this reel.
Just checked over the schematic and saw there’s a washer behind the bearing of the spool. Just realized thats the way they’re probably achieving whatever spool tension daiwa has specified without just straight up gambling on tolerances. See if removing that and/or finding another that fits but is slightly thinner gets the effect you want.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

I was able to use the new Steez reel extensively this past weekend. I will say point blank I am not a fan of the zero spool tension crap. The first day we did not have windy conditions and casting the Steez was a dream. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience until day 2 when we had to cast into windy conditions. I could have the magnetic dial up to 20 and it just wasn't casting the same way as my previous Steez was. Sure, I could have used the wrench to adjust it to the conditions but to me why remove this feature in the first place? It wasn't ideal but even without the adjusting it was OK. The reel looks better in person and the finish definitely grows on you. It's a nice looking reel that feels really good in hand.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

HellaBread wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 am

Just checked over the schematic and saw there’s a washer behind the bearing of the spool. Just realized thats the way they’re probably achieving whatever spool tension daiwa has specified without just straight up gambling on tolerances. See if removing that and/or finding another that fits but is slightly thinner gets the effect you want.

I’m glad you pointed that out. Below are some pics of the spool bearing/washer assembly for the 21 Zillion SV TW and the 24 Steez SV TW. This first picture is how the parts diagram says the assembly should look. The Zillion is on top, Steez on bottom.

However, when I took mine down, this is how the assembly actually came from the factory.

The tiny second washer was in the wrong place! I’m gonna do some more experimenting with/without the washer and see how it goes.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am

SPAZ wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am
I was able to use the new Steez reel extensively this past weekend. I will say point blank I am not a fan of the zero spool tension crap. The first day we did not have windy conditions and casting the Steez was a dream. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience until day 2 when we had to cast into windy conditions. I could have the magnetic dial up to 20 and it just wasn't casting the same way as my previous Steez was. Sure, I could have used the wrench to adjust it to the conditions but to me why remove this feature in the first place? It wasn't ideal but even without the adjusting it was OK. The reel looks better in person and the finish definitely grows on you. It's a nice looking reel that feels really good in hand.
wrench doesn’t actually adjust anything there straight up isn’t a floating shaft in this reel like previous reels.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am

SPAZ wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am
until day 2 when we had to cast into windy conditions. I could have the magnetic dial up to 20 and it just wasn't casting the same way as my previous Steez
I’m at the house today and it’s blowing a good 20-30mph today. So off I went to test some into the wind carts.

I agree with you completely. I can set my zillion to cast just fine into the wind. This steez does not allow you to tune for good into the wind settings.

Why Daiwa, why?!?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 am

typically i’m not running any spool tension in any of my reels in general, as in there’s no physical pressure being exerted onto the spool by the knob it’s only just tight enough to take out 99% of the slop leaving a tiny bit so the spool is absolutely free and it stays at that setting never to be touched again.. I do all my adjustments on the dial. I’ve never really had any issues even in extreme wind but everyone’s casting stroke and line choice is different so that’s just a me thing. That’s why i just care about if daiwas fixed spool tension on this thing is actually free enough

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 am
That’s why i just care about if daiwas fixed spool tension on this thing is actually free enough
I would say we fish/cast the exact same way. As free of a spool as possible.

Out of the box, no, the steez spool tension is not as free as you would prefer. I’m still searching for workarounds though.