All new steez sv tw

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: All new steez sv tw

Post by SPAZ » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:05 pm

I ordered one from Japan to test out. I'm not crazy about the finish/color but it does feel good in hand. I will report back in 1.5 weeks after I use it.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:47 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:51 pm
hit the other sellers on amazon tab and see if there is an amazon japan option
Well now this is a game changer.

I’ve been scrolling most of the day and it’s clear the current global state of fishing equipment goes like this;

*insert company name here* JDM: Here’s all of our premium level equipment at reasonable prices, minimal to free shipping, and to your door in a couple days. We appreciate your business.

*insert company name here* USA: You want our mid-range and below equipment? That’s gonna cost you a lot of money. Oh, you want our good stuff? That’ll cost you arms, legs, mortgage payments, and we’ll need to draw blood.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:12 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:47 pm
HellaBread wrote:

I’ve been scrolling most of the day and it’s clear the current global state of fishing equipment goes like this;

*insert company name here* JDM: Here’s all of our premium level equipment at reasonable prices, minimal to free shipping, and to your door in a couple days. We appreciate your business.

*insert company name here* USA: You want our mid-range and below equipment? That’s gonna cost you a lot of money. Oh, you want our good stuff? That’ll cost you arms, legs, mortgage payments, and we’ll need to draw blood.
Not to mention the cost of parts from the USA division sometimes…..I was quoted $66 for a replacement t wing from daiwa usa, part number J44-2501. $66 for a line guide….

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:12 pm
CFDoc wrote:
HellaBread wrote:

Not to mention the cost of parts from the USA division sometimes…..I was quoted $66 for a replacement t wing from daiwa usa, part number J44-2501. $66 for a line guide….
That's friggin' STOOPID.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:13 am

Ultimate line guide***

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:07 am

CFDoc wrote:
HellaBread wrote:

Yeah I used to think it was just an exchange rate thing but there is more to it than that. I can get USDM reels on Aliexpress in USD prices for JDM like discounts. It's like the USDM reels in the US have stupid high MSRP and none of the retailers want to compete with each other to offer the lowest price. EVERYTHING is crazy expensive in the US these days and it just gets hand waved away by "experts" when brought up. Something is cooking.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:28 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:07 am
CFDoc wrote:
HellaBread wrote:

Yeah I used to think it was just an exchange rate thing but there is more to it than that. I can get USDM reels on Aliexpress in USD prices for JDM like discounts. It's like the USDM reels in the US have stupid high MSRP and none of the retailers want to compete with each other to offer the lowest price. EVERYTHING is crazy expensive in the US these days and it just gets hand waved away by "experts" when brought up. Something is cooking.
It’s always been more than that. The biggest example is when the steez ct first came out in japan in 2019 the japanese msrp for it was actually lower than the 2016 steez sv tw msrp. So how does daiwa explain when they first started bringing over the 2019 ct (they officially imported and brought over the jdm model before the usdm revamp in 2019 if anyone remembers) to the states all of a sudden it jumps $200 over the sv tw retail price. even back then before the yen was in the toilet you could get a ct for like 400 something.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:48 am

I remember that. They added some 5 year service contract to justify the price increase for the USDM Steez CT.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:07 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:07 am
It's like the USDM reels in the US have stupid high MSRP and none of the retailers want to compete with each other to offer the lowest price.
Some of the companies have very strict MAP policies for what you as the vendor can price their products at and if/how much you can discount them that you have to follow if you want to keep your wholesale account with them. This is why you see a list of companies that will be excluded from a promotional discount code. One of my local shops had their account terminated because of this and can no longer carry that company’s products.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:37 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:48 am
I remember that. They added some 5 year service contract to justify the price increase for the USDM Steez CT.
It reminds me of the Jim Gaffigan joke about the French selling the US bottled water that’s free from any faucet. “How dumb do we think the Americans are? I’ll bet we could sell those idiots water.”

I can see Daiwa USA execs sitting at the meeting table going “How dumb are Americans? I’ll bet we can bring our products to the most powerful foreign currency composition reserve and DOUBLE the price on them. hahahaha”

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:13 am

Don’t think this has been posted yet but here’s a full teardown of the reel: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-OU2Xo1ZQg

No idea what he’s saying but looks a lot like when I tear down my 21 Zillions.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 am

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:13 am
Don’t think this has been posted yet but here’s a full teardown of the reel: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1-OU2Xo1ZQg

Once you know how to tear down one you pretty much know how to tear them all down. I can and have torn down and reassembled my daiwas in the dark (this is what happens when you’re a bored insomniac watching random stuff on youtube at 3am, no lights on, with reels on your desk) because i’ve done it so much.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:34 am

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 am
CFDoc wrote:

Once you know how to tear down one you pretty much know how to tear them all down. I can and have torn down and reassembled my daiwas in the dark (this is what happens when you’re a bored insomniac watching random stuff on youtube at 3am, no lights on, with reels on your desk) because i’ve done it so much.
Agreed. I can strip down pretty much any new Daiwa/Shimano. However, I do see more similarities in the intervals between this steez and the 21 zillion than the steez A frame.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m having trouble getting this reel to cast the way I want. And I think it’s this cast control knob. My bait always goes right of where I want when casting sidearm with my left hand. And it goes high of where I want when flipping. Exactly what happens when I fish with other reels and the cast control knob is too tight.

Anybody else having this issue with the steez? Is there a way to get a freer spool at the beginning of the cast?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:37 am

CFDoc wrote:
Maybe it’s just me, but I’m having trouble getting this reel to cast the way I want. And I think it’s this cast control knob. My bait always goes right of where I want when casting sidearm with my left hand. And it goes high of where I want when flipping. Exactly what happens when I fish with other reels and the cast control knob is too tight.
Either brakes too high, spool tension (i’m of the belief with modern reels and braking systems there should be 0 tension actually on the spool only enough to take out 99% of the slop), or the reel itself is just overbraked which you really can’t do anything about. I saw the 24 has a wonky spool tension knob but since i don’t own one idk if or how it would affect it.

I know for a while I saw a lot of people having trouble with daiwas and casting performance because they took the “zero adjust” as a feature literally and never touched the spool tension when in reality it’s more of a concept and a flawed one at that because it’s never set right 9/10 times in my experience.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:42 am

It’s definitely spool tension. I can put brakes on 0 and it still happens.

The cast control knob essentially does nothing on this reel as far as loosening/tightening the spool.

Bummer. It’s not as big of a deal on long casts. But flipping and skipping into tight spots gets frustrating.