All new steez sv tw

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: All new steez sv tw

Post by joekaz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:17 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:42 am
It’s definitely spool tension. I can put brakes on 0 and it still happens.

The cast control knob essentially does nothing on this reel as far as loosening/tightening the spool.

Bummer. It’s not as big of a deal on long casts. But flipping and skipping into tight spots gets frustrating.
You can still adjust a zero adjust reel. Just take the wrench that comes with the reel and loosen the knob until there is a tiny bit of wiggle, and you should be good to go.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm

joekaz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:17 pm
CFDoc wrote:

The cast control knob essentially does nothing on this reel as far as loosening/tightening the spool.

Bummer. It’s not as big of a deal on long casts. But flipping and skipping into tight spots gets frustrating.
You can still adjust a zero adjust reel. Just take the wrench that comes with the reel and loosen the knob until there is a tiny bit of wiggle, and you should be good to go.
Tried that. This new steez is different than the other zero adjust knobs. When you take the tool and loosen this knob, the knob essentially backs all the way off and will unscrew itself all the way off with barely touching it. It doesn’t remain friction with the threads as you loosen it like other cast control knobs.

Also, I took the knob all the way off and there was no noticeable difference in spool wiggle tension with the knob on or off. This knob essentially seems like it’s for cosmetic purposes only.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:08 pm

CFDoc wrote:

I looked it up it should have came with a tool that’s needed to adjust that knob apparently. nice job daiwa
Attachments
IMG_5208.jpeg
IMG_5208.jpeg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 434 times

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:12 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm
joekaz wrote:
CFDoc wrote:

Tried that. This new steez is different than the other zero adjust knobs. When you take the tool and loosen this knob, the knob essentially backs all the way off and will unscrew itself all the way off with barely touching it. It doesn’t remain friction with the threads as you loosen it like other cast control knobs.

Also, I took the knob all the way off and there was no noticeable difference in spool wiggle tension with the knob on or off. This knob essentially seems like it’s for cosmetic purposes only.
that’s actually terrible. it’s like the worst possible evolution of the 16 antares dc spool tension design

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:28 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm
joekaz wrote:
CFDoc wrote:

So with the cap on, there is some wiggle? If so, I guess that would make it like the zero adjust reels that have some wiggle set at the factory. Now you can't tighten it to eliminate any play.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:11 pm

I’ll try to clarify.

For me, it seems as if the cap makes no difference in spool tension. The cap can be in your pocket or turned as tight as the Daiwa tool will allow. In either scenario, the spool tension is the same.

Now describing what I feel is too much or too little wiggle is completely subjective. But for me, I would say the spool is too tight and there is very little, if any, wiggle.

My preference is to have the knob loose enough to where if I click the button, the bait looks like a free fall due to gravity to the ground. I then use the braking system only to control spool speed.

I like it this way because I skip almost every bait I throw. And I find in order to get king skips that run out a long ways, the tension knobs need to be loose.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:30 pm

Sounds like the cast cap - spool tension is truly preset. I'd assume that if it were somehow otherwise adjustable, tension lessened, it might get a bit squirrely. I also feel that a slightly loose spool tension is best for skipping, especially with SV braking. Some of the SV equipped reels can be a little over braked as is. I'm still super happy with my original 16 Steez SV TW reels, not to mention the other spool options. Don't like Boost spools nearly as much.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:07 pm

I think the reason the spool has no side to side play, even with the cc cap removed, is that spring under the on-board spool bearing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:07 pm
I think the reason the spool has no side to side play, even with the cc cap removed, is that spring under the on-board spool bearing.
That lil spring isn’t that strong. If there was any space for the spool move no matter how small you can definitely feel it with your fingers even against the minor spring pressure. Honestly I wouldn’t put it past daiwa to implement a fixed spool tension. It’s basically finally turning their zero adjust concept into a feature, a very bad feature

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:41 pm

My US version works like a charm! I've had a hard time putting it down, especially paired with the RC 73H. Long casts, pitching, and pinpoint accurate casts have all been a breeze. I'm really enjoying the new 2024 Steez SV TW 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:41 pm
My US version works like a charm! I've had a hard time putting it down, especially paired with the RC 73H. Long casts, pitching, and pinpoint accurate casts have all been a breeze. I'm really enjoying the new 2024 Steez SV TW 8-)
Is there a difference between the US and JDM version that would affect the spool tension?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Is there a difference between the US and JDM version that would affect the spool tension?
shouldn’t be. Honestly it’s probably a tolerance thing since having a fixed spool tension means daiwas really banking on their manufacturing tolerances to stay tight and not exceed a certain amount. If the shaft/whatever mechanism they got acting as the fixed spool tension is slightly short it’s fine you just got a tiny bit more side to side play than is ideal. When you go in the opposite direction then you got problems since it’ll be too tight for optimal performance and there’s no way to adjust it other than destructive means (grinding down the spool shaft slightly, etc)

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:53 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm
bronzefly wrote:
shouldn’t be. Honestly it’s probably a tolerance thing since having a fixed spool tension means daiwas really banking on their manufacturing tolerances to stay tight and not exceed a certain amount. If the shaft/whatever mechanism they got acting as the fixed spool tension is slightly short it’s fine you just got a tiny bit more side to side play than is ideal. When you go in the opposite direction then you got problems since it’ll be too tight for optimal performance and there’s no way to adjust it other than destructive means (grinding down the spool shaft slightly, etc)
I was going to hold off breaking this reel down but I may just go ahead and do it.

hoohoorjoo - which spring are you referring to? I put the parts diagram below.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:27 pm

Look on the spool bearing there should be a tiny spring and a rubber washer in front of it. All the boost spools so far had it. It’s daiwas version of shimano’s silent tune all it does is keep slight pressure on the bearing during a cast to quiet it down and keep it from oscillating

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:04 am

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:27 pm
Look on the spool bearing there should be a tiny spring and a rubber washer in front of it. All the boost spools so far had it. It’s daiwas version of shimano’s silent tune all it does is keep slight pressure on the bearing during a cast to quiet it down and keep it from oscillating
I assumed that, as well. Judging from the diagram posted, it looks like that spool doesn't have one between the spool and the attached bearing, like other boost spools have. Now that I have thought about it, that spring only holds the bearing in place. It doesnt affect the spool tension, unless it isnt sitting correctly and is rubbing the shaft.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.