Third generation Tatula is coming next month

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Third generation Tatula is coming next month

Post by raychoi » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:35 pm

The most popular Daiwa workhorse will be renewed as 2024 model.

https://ameblo.jp/bassdamasii/entry-12830311619.html
Listed price is 23000
Real street price should be about 18000 yen. It is time to whale when the yen is low.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Third generation Tatula is coming next month

Post by reason162 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:15 pm

Aren't we on gen 11 or 13 with the Tatulas at this point? :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:13 am

The contours actually look good, plenty of pics on IG...

Wish they'd drop the Tatula namesake though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:15 am

I thought these were already out in the US? It's been on TW for a while now.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:14 am

raychoi wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:35 pm
Listed price is 23000
Real street price should be about 18000 yen. It is time to whale when the yen is low.
Do you buy reels here in the US?
2023 Tatula was already released after ICAST.

https://tackletrap.com/products/daiwa-t ... abbe&_ss=r

raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by raychoi » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:43 am

:D Sorry, I live in Japan and work in USA for few months. Please delete the post

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:44 am

Who cares

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:00 am

I like that it got the new hyper gears and aluminum side plate. Knobs look sort of like the high grip modern Daiwa knobs which are expensive individually. I just can't get past that shape. Turns out I'm a reel shape snob and don't like reels I think lool ugly like the Steez CT space egg and this pointy Tatula.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:40 am

I will have to handle one in person to confirm, but this new Tatula looks to be the most uncomfortable one to date. Protruding mag dial and crazy contours for the thumb rest. It seams like more reels these days are forcing the user to put their thumb in a certain spot. I like a nice flat area to put my thumb anywhere I want without feeling some kind of edge.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:14 am

It appears so short and tall, it really reminds me of the first cheap AliExpress reels that were available. So kind of 3 steps backwards.

Also the contour lines are very organic and rounded, maybe they’re going for the authentic spider body after all. I bet 20 on the next Tatula coming with 8 legs :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:13 am

joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:40 am
I will have to handle one in person to confirm, but this new Tatula looks to be the most uncomfortable one to date. Protruding mag dial and crazy contours for the thumb rest. It seams like more reels these days are forcing the user to put their thumb in a certain spot. I like a nice flat area to put my thumb anywhere I want without feeling some kind of edge.
It looks like it only protrudes on the top like the classic daiwa reels. In that case it occupies the vacant spot between your index finger and thumb when palming while offering ease of access to your thumb for adjustment. They got it right from the get go IMO. They later made the whole perimeter of the dial stick out then moved it to under the reel with the newest iterations making basically impossible to adjust while palming.

Old school and new school mag dial theory reference

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:33 am

It does appear to use the newer style dial with the rough edges. The old style dials used a smooth beveled edge and only offered a textured surface to index the dial deeper into the dial's surface which was only accessible via the side plate cut out. This allowed your hands to slide across it seamlessly when palming yet still offer ease of adjustment. The TD-Z and TD Zillion are the best examples of this.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:13 am
joekaz wrote:
It looks like it only protrudes on the top like the classic daiwa reels. In that case it occupies the vacant spot between your index finger and thumb when palming while offering ease of access to your thumb for adjustment. They got it right from the get go IMO. They later made the whole perimeter of the dial stick out then moved it to under the reel with the newest iterations making basically impossible to adjust while palming.

Looking at the front and palm side pics on Tackle Wharehouse there is a huge difference between this reel and the og Zillion.
I own some og zillions and I can't feel the mag dial with my pointer finger. I can't say that about any of the Tatula's. The Tatula 81 that I tried was not as bad as the others but it still didn't work for me. It's not just the dial, it's the ridge that sticks out under the dial that I feel to. I like a smooth side plate like most of the Shimano reels.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:48 pm

raychoi wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:35 pm

Listed price is 23000
Wow! What a huge surprise ! :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:03 pm

joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:13 am
joekaz wrote:

Looking at the front and palm side pics on Tackle Wharehouse there is a huge difference between this reel and the og Zillion.
I own some og zillions and I can't feel the mag dial with my pointer finger. I can't say that about any of the Tatula's. The Tatula 81 that I tried was not as bad as the others but it still didn't work for me. It's not just the dial, it's the ridge that sticks out under the dial that I feel to. I like a smooth side plate like most of the Shimano reels.
It reminds me more of the OG Alphas than the OG Zillion. Alphas palm pretty well but still have a slight non textured beveled edge on the outpost perimeter of the dial. This new Tatula has the style of dial with the textured leading edge. Still, I think that if the old Alphas palms well for you then thus new Tatula should too.
Also am I imagining things or does the Tatula look like it's frame could accommodate a larger diameter spool? Is this a native 36mm frame with 34mm spool? Maybe an HD version will come out with 36mm spool or some bay vertical jigging reell? Or is it a 34mm native frame with a 33mm or 32mm spool? We usually only see that with the SV variants. Seems like a few mils of wasted space if it is never used.