Saltwater safe baitcaster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Heitman
Angler
Angler

Re: Saltwater safe baitcaster

Post by Heitman » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:06 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:56 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:15 am
Slazmo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:36 pm
Heitman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:22 pm
Bates reels made here in Texas are starting to draw a lot of interest. Look to be an amazing reel that will last in salt also. Bate's Hundo 5oz is what i'm eyeing next.
Not sure why they chose 6061 T6 billet as their choice for the frame?
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why theT6 hardened variety of 6061 is or isn't a good choice in this application. I do know that they use silicon and magnesium as the 2 alloy ingredients. Is the magnesium alloy agent a high percentage of the alloy, and if so, does this magnesium content preclude SW use due to low corrosion resistance?
Well most of us are aware with what Shimano did with the OG Chronarch Ci4 with their red disappearing red Magnumlite 7075 spool... While 6061 is better corrosion resistance in comparison, it's just a wonder why (here's me with my saltwater hat on), but if you guys fish primarily fresh it could be just fine with a HA coating as they state the reel gets. Just there's no internal rub plates for mechanics to work on and eventually it'll wear through to expose raw aluminium, and we all know stainless on aluminium aren't great bedfellows.

Looks like an interesting reel with all that machining but I'm done with reels as in company swapping - just too invested in Shimano and a light sprinkling with Daiwa at this point of my life, I like to pick them apart however.
Agreed. Stainless and aluminum don't care for each other, stupid galvanic corrosion.
As far as reel brands, I was nothing but Shimano with their original green curados (still have a couple). But slowly started checking out the Abu Revo series, they've been really good for me (STX and Inshore Gen 1). Bought the 13 Fishing Z reel during a Dick's Black Friday sale for $99. Figured no bearings to corrode ought to be great for wading. Well, it's been a good reel but not so much when wading. Mainly, I've found if the bushings get wet (it happens at times wading the surf) the cast control can get reel tricky. I mainly use it for chunking 1/2 to 1oz topwaters, between my bass and saltwater fishing.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:52 am

Heitman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:53 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:59 am
Heitman wrote:
I've been saltwater fishing my whole life. Born and raised 30mins from Galveston, TX. I still have Green Curados for saltwater use. The Abu Revo Inshore Gen 1 still putting in work,13 Fishing Z reel, and newest a Daiwa TWS Coastal. I throw nothing but lures when i fish (super spooks, mirrolures, soft plastics on 1/8th-1/2oz jig heads).
As with all equipment in saltwater, i spray off everything after fishing. Just a light spraying from the garden hose to get the salt off. Do plenty of wading during the summer in the surf and reels do accidentally get dunked sometimes. Saltwater will require more frequent break down and cleaning (flushing and relubing bearings or replacing bearings). Just the nature of it. But reels will last a long time just like my Green Curados have with routine maintenance.

I would never use a magnesium reel in salt. Don't care what the manufacturer says, one scratch on the protective coating and it's gonna get destroyed. Cleaned a buddy's Metainum and saw the internals showing degradation due to lack of preventative maintenance.

Bates reels made here in Texas are starting to draw a lot of interest. Look to be an amazing reel that will last in salt also. Bate's Hundo 5oz is what i'm eyeing next.
Which bates are made in Tx, I was under the impression they were made overseas?
As far as my research and understanding they are made in Texas. Not designed/engineered in the USA and manufactured by DOMO overseas. Tackle Tour highlighted them at ICAST and I'm sure they'll get all the answers though.
https://batesfishingco.com/blogs/news/b ... ufacturing

They are not made in TX

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:38 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:52 am
Heitman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:53 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:59 am
Heitman wrote:
I've been saltwater fishing my whole life. Born and raised 30mins from Galveston, TX. I still have Green Curados for saltwater use. The Abu Revo Inshore Gen 1 still putting in work,13 Fishing Z reel, and newest a Daiwa TWS Coastal. I throw nothing but lures when i fish (super spooks, mirrolures, soft plastics on 1/8th-1/2oz jig heads).
As with all equipment in saltwater, i spray off everything after fishing. Just a light spraying from the garden hose to get the salt off. Do plenty of wading during the summer in the surf and reels do accidentally get dunked sometimes. Saltwater will require more frequent break down and cleaning (flushing and relubing bearings or replacing bearings). Just the nature of it. But reels will last a long time just like my Green Curados have with routine maintenance.

I would never use a magnesium reel in salt. Don't care what the manufacturer says, one scratch on the protective coating and it's gonna get destroyed. Cleaned a buddy's Metainum and saw the internals showing degradation due to lack of preventative maintenance.

Which bates are made in Tx, I was under the impression they were made overseas?
As far as my research and understanding they are made in Texas. Not designed/engineered in the USA and manufactured by DOMO overseas. Tackle Tour highlighted them at ICAST and I'm sure they'll get all the answers though.
https://batesfishingco.com/blogs/news/b ... ufacturing

Appreciate the correction. I very rarely read Blogs, but may need to start perusing them.

They are not made in TX

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:16 pm

I have 0 issues personally with using any baitcaster in the salt. name of the game in keeping any low pro alive in the salt is purposeful preventative maintenance focusing at a few key areas. This means no matter what reel it is i’m tearing it down and preservicing to prep it for the salt. All non spool bearings get packed with grease as well as the cavity the drive shaft bearing sits in bc water likes to settle and pool inside the empty space and destroy that bearing first. almost everything inside the reel gets a light coating of grease. Initial preservice + regular maintenance schedule going forward is key for longevity in the salt