Saltwater safe baitcaster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Saltwater safe baitcaster

Post by jprice92 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:58 pm

Looking to get a baitcaster that is safe for light saltwater use, I'll be pairing it up with a studio composite transworld 3 power rod. It's going to be a do it all combo that I also want to able to use whenever I go to the beach once or twice a year. I was considering the conquest MD, daiwa silver wolf, antares dc. But also open to other options, I plan on getting it cleaned after beach trips.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Saltwater safe baitcaster

Post by a1712 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:01 pm

Shimano Chronarch G. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:18 am

Any good reel will work fine in saltwater, I would stay away from a magnesium frame, but other than that you should be good as long as you clean it thoroughly after using it in the salt

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:33 am

I've been using the Curado MGL 150 with good success for saltwater striper. Caught a big 20 pound bat ray that was stripping drag and took me a good 30 minutes to bring in on 12# test and it still runs smooth.

I rinse mine out after each trip and spray some Ardent anti corrosion on it and let it dry out on a towel.

A kid from Canada
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by A kid from Canada » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:14 pm

People seem to like the Daiwa Coastal reels.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:10 am

Nothing is "saltwater safe", but a proper pre-service will help with lubricants being in the right places, and if you get the right guy the internal frame and gearbox will be coated with lanolin or a water resistant grease.

Saltwater safe... Is a poor marketing term used for reels like the MG casting family and spin inc Stella FD, FE, FI to name a very small few.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:59 pm

I did have a new generation daiwa coastal that's now on the bottom of dead man's bay it was good but I prefer the new zillion in the salt vs the coastal for not much more money. The old coastal is a good reel, especially if you upgrade it and they were available for fairly cheap themselves. My first inshore reel was a first gen tatula type r that I still use, twice a year I wouldnt even worry about the salt unless it was a mg frame.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:22 pm

I've been saltwater fishing my whole life. Born and raised 30mins from Galveston, TX. I still have Green Curados for saltwater use. The Abu Revo Inshore Gen 1 still putting in work,13 Fishing Z reel, and newest a Daiwa TWS Coastal. I throw nothing but lures when i fish (super spooks, mirrolures, soft plastics on 1/8th-1/2oz jig heads).
As with all equipment in saltwater, i spray off everything after fishing. Just a light spraying from the garden hose to get the salt off. Do plenty of wading during the summer in the surf and reels do accidentally get dunked sometimes. Saltwater will require more frequent break down and cleaning (flushing and relubing bearings or replacing bearings). Just the nature of it. But reels will last a long time just like my Green Curados have with routine maintenance.

I would never use a magnesium reel in salt. Don't care what the manufacturer says, one scratch on the protective coating and it's gonna get destroyed. Cleaned a buddy's Metainum and saw the internals showing degradation due to lack of preventative maintenance.

Bates reels made here in Texas are starting to draw a lot of interest. Look to be an amazing reel that will last in salt also. Bate's Hundo 5oz is what i'm eyeing next.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:36 pm

Heitman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:22 pm
Bates reels made here in Texas are starting to draw a lot of interest. Look to be an amazing reel that will last in salt also. Bate's Hundo 5oz is what i'm eyeing next.
Not sure why they chose 6061 T6 billet as their choice for the frame?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:15 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:36 pm
Heitman wrote:
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why theT6 hardened variety of 6061 is or isn't a good choice in this application. I do know that they use silicon and magnesium as the 2 alloy ingredients. Is the magnesium alloy agent a high percentage of the alloy, and if so, does this magnesium content preclude SW use due to low corrosion resistance?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:59 am

Heitman wrote:
I've been saltwater fishing my whole life. Born and raised 30mins from Galveston, TX. I still have Green Curados for saltwater use. The Abu Revo Inshore Gen 1 still putting in work,13 Fishing Z reel, and newest a Daiwa TWS Coastal. I throw nothing but lures when i fish (super spooks, mirrolures, soft plastics on 1/8th-1/2oz jig heads).
As with all equipment in saltwater, i spray off everything after fishing. Just a light spraying from the garden hose to get the salt off. Do plenty of wading during the summer in the surf and reels do accidentally get dunked sometimes. Saltwater will require more frequent break down and cleaning (flushing and relubing bearings or replacing bearings). Just the nature of it. But reels will last a long time just like my Green Curados have with routine maintenance.

I would never use a magnesium reel in salt. Don't care what the manufacturer says, one scratch on the protective coating and it's gonna get destroyed. Cleaned a buddy's Metainum and saw the internals showing degradation due to lack of preventative maintenance.

Which bates are made in Tx, I was under the impression they were made overseas?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:05 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:59 am
Heitman wrote:

I believe all the Bates models are made overseas...the company is in Texas.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:56 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:15 am
Slazmo wrote:
Heitman wrote:
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why theT6 hardened variety of 6061 is or isn't a good choice in this application. I do know that they use silicon and magnesium as the 2 alloy ingredients. Is the magnesium alloy agent a high percentage of the alloy, and if so, does this magnesium content preclude SW use due to low corrosion resistance?
Well most of us are aware with what Shimano did with the OG Chronarch Ci4 with their red disappearing red Magnumlite 7075 spool... While 6061 is better corrosion resistance in comparison, it's just a wonder why (here's me with my saltwater hat on), but if you guys fish primarily fresh it could be just fine with a HA coating as they state the reel gets. Just there's no internal rub plates for mechanics to work on and eventually it'll wear through to expose raw aluminium, and we all know stainless on aluminium aren't great bedfellows.

Looks like an interesting reel with all that machining but I'm done with reels as in company swapping - just too invested in Shimano and a light sprinkling with Daiwa at this point of my life, I like to pick them apart however.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:41 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Heitman wrote:
Excellent machinability and corrosion resistance. Over built? Looks like it.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:53 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:59 am
Heitman wrote:

As far as my research and understanding they are made in Texas. Not designed/engineered in the USA and manufactured by DOMO overseas. Tackle Tour highlighted them at ICAST and I'm sure they'll get all the answers though.