Spinning reel for lighter crank and jerkbaits

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Spinning reel for lighter crank and jerkbaits

Post by VAsmallies » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:45 pm

Im looking to buy my first 3 or 4000 size spinning reel to maximize casting distance with hardbaits such as finesse balsa cranks and smaller 3/16 to 1/4 oz jerkbaits. Probably using 6-8 lb straight flouro most often. What larger arbor spinning reels would you recommend for maximum distance that still maintain a lower ipt (no hg xg reels). I tend to value smoothness and retrieve feel over light weight. All the better if it's a shallow spool and don't have to deal with backing. What do you recommend in the $200-$350 range? More broadly, I'd love to hear what spinning rod and reel combos you all have found effective for these techniques. Thanks!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning reel for lighter crank and jerkbaits

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:29 pm

Firstly, bear in mind that Daiwa 3000/4000 LT and Real Four sized spools graduate to larger diameters. Shimano 2500/3000 are essentially that same diameter, with the 3000 having a deeper spool and larger gears.

I would vote for something like the Daiwa Certate 3000S CH-Double Handle, it is very smooth, shallow spool, 3000 Daiwa diameter and 5.7:1 gear ratio. For Shimano, a 2020 Twinpower 3000MHG might be a good fit. You'll probably want a rod in the 7'3" or longer range for this sized reel.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure of what rod to recommend for such light baits with the size reels you want to use...perhaps a custom?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:38 am

For me that would be the Certate. I use a 2500 size with 6-8# fluoro but the 3K will also fit the bill. I use a 19 mostly but it seems they are selling out. A new one is coming soon.

I have also been pleased with the Luvias which pairs nicely with the lighter rods. Each of these come in a variety of rear ratios.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:19 am

stradic 3000.

but I would use a good quality mono like Sufix Siege or Elite rather than floro.

its too stiff on spinning gear