Daiwa Saltist TW PE Special

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Saltist TW PE Special

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:54 pm

Anybody have one or thinking about getting one? Looks like the 100xh could be a nice frog/light punch reel despite its saltwater pedigree. Or is it just a tatula with come pretty color?

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/product/iil1sna

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Saltist TW PE Special

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:06 pm

These looked different at first but they appear to be Tatulas with cooler paint jobs :-k

A kid from Canada
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by A kid from Canada » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:18 am

I wonder why Daiwa makes their Salt water reels only in high speed gear ratios like the Silver Wolf. I do like the faster level wind to prevent braid digging into itself, would like to swap some into my Tatula Elites.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:18 am

I absolutely love my Tatula 80s. The same reel, but with a deeper spool/higher line capacity is very appealing to me for heavier/thicker copolymer lines like CXX.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:37 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:18 am
I absolutely love my Tatula 80s. The same reel, but with a deeper spool/higher line capacity is very appealing to me for heavier/thicker copolymer lines like CXX.
So the Saltist is the exact opposite of what you want :(

Less line capacity and PE tuned braking sounds great to me, if it just wasn‘t blue…

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:12 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:37 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:

Less line capacity and PE tuned braking sounds great to me, if it just wasn‘t blue…
The spool appears to be deeper from the pics I saw. I didn't catch the rated line capacity, so maybe my eyes deceived me. If you're correct, at least I still have my HRF PE Special. It is exactly what I described, though built on the 100 frame, not the 80 frame. Still a really great reel, though not as compact as the 80 frame reels.
https://www.digitaka.com/item/4/4/2/4550133032318
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:38 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:12 pm
dennis_rf wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:37 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:

The spool appears to be deeper from the pics I saw. I didn't catch the rated line capacity, so maybe my eyes deceived me. If you're correct, at least I still have my HRF PE Special. It is exactly what I described, though built on the 100 frame, not the 80 frame. Still a really great reel, though not as compact as the 80 frame reels.
https://www.digitaka.com/item/4/4/2/4550133032318
It’s double compounded by the faster level wind which can reduce your actual usable capacity by a little since it’s not packing line in the most efficient manner which is usually why i end up swapping all my reels that did use a fast worm gear back to a standard one (silverwolf and gekka) Braid dig in was never an issue for me even down to 0.4pe if I spooled my reels with the appropriate amount of tension to begin with so all the faster worm gear did was make casting distance suffer and cut capacity for me.