PE Spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

PE Spools

Post by Salty Parrot » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:13 pm

Hi everyone, I have a question about PE spools on Daiwas SV reels, how is the braking actually different compared to the normal spools, I tried searching but the info was scattered and or with the older spools. What are the differences with these newer gen spools. Thanks for the help.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: PE Spools

Post by HellaBread » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:33 am

Salty Parrot wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:13 pm
Hi everyone, I have a question about PE spools on Daiwas SV reels, how is the braking actually different compared to the normal spools, I tried searching but the info was scattered and or with the older spools. What are the differences with these newer gen spools. Thanks for the help.
The braking close to the same between pe sv and sv and on most models the differences will usually be in the amount of shims used on the inductor if there are any.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:01 am

Some spools like the 2019 Morethan PE SV, are "regular" capacity flat bottom and incredible for braid...and not only in the factory reel. It rocks in an OG Zillion and TDZ as well.

Inductor thickness/length, spring stiffness rates, also affect the casting.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:17 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:01 am
Some spools like the 2019 Morethan PE SV, are "regular" capacity flat bottom and incredible for braid...and not only in the factory reel. It rocks in an OG Zillion and TDZ as well.

morethan pe sv spool (zillion based 2017 model 36mm spool) was still a shallow spool by comparison to the other 36mm spools, unless i’m remembering wrong. Or unless you’re referring to the morethan pe spool out of the 2019 steez based one which wasn’t an SV spool it was a magZ and OP specifically is asking about SV variants

EDIT: looked it up the morethan pe sv was the wonky spool it was a 1516 width spool but in 34mm bc the reel was based on the 1516 zillion i just assume they stuck in spacers for the spool then.

The 34mm morethan spool that swaps into everything is indeed a magZ spool and not an SV

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:51 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:01 am

Yes they do vary between different “family/variants” (ie: 1016sv G1 spool found in the steez vs the 1016sv G1 spool found in the old zillion have different inductor lengths) what I believe op is asking is directly comparing if there are any braking differences in for example the normal zillion sv boost spool vs the pe sv boost spool of the silver wolf being the zillions pe version. It’s pretty rare you’ll see anything more than a difference in washers

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:05 pm

Yep you are correct and I should know better since I own two of them...lol. It is a Mag Z spool specifically designed to handle braid.

https://japantackle.com/reg0000284.html
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."