2024 SLX with MGL 3 spool.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

2024 SLX with MGL 3 spool.

Post by raychoi » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:08 pm

https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/product/ ... chqac.html :D

This one is going to be the new king of Value :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2024 SLX with MGL 3 spool.

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:49 am

The Tatula 70/80 are pretty damn impressive overall values as well. That frame and gearing/internals being shared with other high end Daiwas combined with exceptional casting performance, is a helluva nice package for the price.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:36 am

The new slx mgl better be as fun to use as the slx dc xt or it has tough competition against a small packaged reel like the tatula 70/80. Those reels are quite impressive for what they are.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:22 pm

mousetank wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:36 am
The new slx mgl better be as fun to use as the slx dc xt or it has tough competition against a small packaged reel like the tatula 70/80. Those reels are quite impressive for what they are.
And the Tat 80 can be had for $110 from aliexpress, while the Tat 70 SV is about $165 there. Which do I prefer, you may ask? Put it this way. I got a Tat 80, then bought a Tat 70 SV. I then bought another Tat 80 and sold the Tat 70. I'm seriously considering a third Tat 80, after I sell a couple other reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:03 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:22 pm
mousetank wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:36 am
And the Tat 80 can be had for $110 from aliexpress, while tge Tat 70 SV is about $165 there. Which do I prefer, you may ask? Put it this way. I got a Tat 80, then bought a Tat 70 SV. I then bought another Tat 80 and sold the Tat 70. I'm seriously considering a third Tat 80, after I sell a couple other reels.

I’ll have to check. I already have a tat 80 and man it’s a really nice reel. I wouldn’t mind another.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:04 am

Is this another Tatula thread? :-k Love clicking on a thread about a new reel just to read about a different companies product :doh:

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:11 am

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:04 am
Is this another Tatula thread? :-k Love clicking on a thread about a new reel just to read about a different companies product :doh:

Ha ha.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:25 am

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 pm

I'm interested to see what the durability is like--everyone always comments that after a year of use the SLX are not nearly as smooth as the Curado counterpart. If the longevity and durability is there...this might be a low key killer.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:21 am

The reason I mentioned my Tatulas is that the SLX I had went geary before the end of last summer. I just ran a lipless bait(and a squarebill) with it, so no logical reason for that to have happened. I bought it for $65 and sold it for $50, so I wasn't really out anything, but I'm still puzzled as to why that happened.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:40 am

This Shimano rep has all the jargon and lexicons down... professional use of superfluous corporate verbiage. He is an astute student of Shimano marketing.

Still, I have too many fishing acquaintances here with the SLX reels and after 1-2 seasons, I'm not impressed with what the gears have exhibited for "wear in". I just met a younger fisher a couple of days ago at Sharp Springs and his SLX from two years ago is already defunct because the gears became grindy, and FWIW, he thinks his Lews are an upgrade (?). Funny thing is that the beater TDZ 103H he got from me over a year ago is still being used for shallow-mid cranks and no issues.

FWIW, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, my initial post was in reference to this new SLX being the "King of value"...it's too early to say, but I'll put my money on the Tat 80 for the same $$$.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:39 pm

godshippy wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 pm
I'm interested to see what the durability is like--everyone always comments that after a year of use the SLX are not nearly as smooth as the Curado counterpart. If the longevity and durability is there...this might be a low key killer.
At one time, I owned a regular STX, a STX XT, a STX MGL, and a STX DC. Every one of the reels became geary and noisy in a short amount of time reeling moving baits. I installed new gears on every one of them and they became geary again. Sometimes it only took one trip. I installed new gears again and sold them all, and of course, lost money. I shake my head when I read reviews about how smooth these reels are. Also dislike the thumb bar.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:40 pm

joekaz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:39 pm
godshippy wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 pm
At one time, I owned a regular STX, a STX XT, a STX MGL, and a STX DC. Every one of the reels became geary and noisy in a short amount of time reeling moving baits. I installed new gears on every one of them and they became geary again. Sometimes it only took one trip. I installed new gears again and sold them all, and of course, lost money. I shake my head when I read reviews about how smooth these reels are. Also dislike the thumb bar.
That's pretty much the consensus of what I've read about online--it doesn't take much time for the gears to start feeling bad.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:41 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:40 am
This Shimano rep has all the jargon and lexicons down... professional use of superfluous corporate verbiage. He is an astute student of Shimano marketing.

Still, I have too many fishing acquaintances here with the SLX reels and after 1-2 seasons, I'm not impressed with what the gears have exhibited for "wear in". I just met a younger fisher a couple of days ago at Sharp Springs and his SLX from two years ago is already defunct because the gears became grindy, and FWIW, he thinks his Lews are an upgrade (?). Funny thing is that the beater TDZ 103H he got from me over a year ago is still being used for shallow-mid cranks and no issues.

FWIW, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, my initial post was in reference to this new SLX being the "King of value"...it's too early to say, but I'll put my money on the Tat 80 for the same $$$.
Just thought I’d post the video since it was just released.

Hands down my money goes to the tatula 80. I have a couple slx mgl reels and while they are good reels. One has taken a beating and is still going strong. The other I can feel it’ll give into the geary conundrum any outing no matter how often I service it. My slx dc xt has been used last season as much as my ‘21 zillions have and it’s going strong as the day I took it out of the box. Different beast for sure but that is one mighty fine slx. I don’t see this new one being a killer out of the box but who knows. Could still be a run reel to use.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:38 pm

mousetank wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:41 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:40 am

Just thought I’d post the video since it was just released.

Hands down my money goes to the tatula 80. I have a couple slx mgl reels and while they are good reels. One has taken a beating and is still going strong. The other I can feel it’ll give into the geary conundrum any outing no matter how often I service it. My slx dc xt has been used last season as much as my ‘21 zillions have and it’s going strong as the day I took it out of the box. Different beast for sure but that is one mighty fine slx. I don’t see this new one being a killer out of the box but who knows. Could still be a run reel to use.
That's good to hear on your SLX experience, for me I won't take another shot with Shimano until they figure out the gear design maladies on their current reels, whether it's the MM or the HEG redesign used in the Tranx 200.