Bearing oil

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Bearing oil

Post by green weenie » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:41 pm

My apologies if this goes in a different forum. Wasn’t sure. Wondering what bearing oil are you using for Shimano reels. I used to use yellow rocket fuel but I’m running low. What’s the standard out there currently.

Thanks.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Bearing oil

Post by tdm » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:24 pm

green weenie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:41 pm
My apologies if this goes in a different forum. Wasn’t sure. Wondering what bearing oil are you using for Shimano reels. I used to use yellow rocket fuel but I’m running low. What’s the standard out there currently.

Thanks.
Bantam Oil dude!

https://fishshop.shimano.com/collection ... ts/bnt4692

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:00 pm

green weenie wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:41 pm

Thanks.
An oldie but goodie reference chart:

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52000

I also like Max-01-001 Ball Bearing Oil, made in Germany. RC Hobby stores should carry it.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 am

I've been using Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil for years now with very good success. I know there is a love/hate relationship with Quantum Hot Sauce products, but the oil has been a very good performer for me. I still use the grease in a lot of my older Shimano reels, but I'm switching to the Daiwa Space Age Grease that comes in that old school acrylic paint type plastic accordion tube for all the reels that I haven't used Hot Sauce Grease in.

Another one that I've been dabbling with is Clenzoil. It comes in a very good bottle with a needle tip applicator and a cap that securely spins on and has one of those child proof type caps. It performs well and is easy to store in a bag without having to worry about leakage or a mess. I like to use this stuff on my spinning reels and keep a bottle in my tackle bag if I need a quick touch up on the field.

If you're using the oil for other moving parts like internal parts or bearings, then something a little thicker like the Shimano Bantam oil would be great--otherwise you might end up cracking it open and applying a bit more oil more frequently.