21 Zillion TW - larger capacity spool suggestions?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

21 Zillion TW - larger capacity spool suggestions?

Post by 78Staff » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:13 am

Liking the 21 Zillion, but in some cases I am finding the Boost Spool lacking for line capacity, ie for larger braid or or fluro. Heck I just about emptied the spool on a cast to clear up some loose braid loops the other day :(.

Assuming the common Daiwa 34mm variants, ie Steez 100H, TD-Z V-spool, SLC Deep/RCS 1016 etc but those spools are getting hard to find... are there any other option, that are somewhat available ;) I have a few of those in various reels currently, worse case I can move a few around, but looking for alternatives...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: 21 Zillion TW - larger capacity spool suggestions?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:49 am

The current Zillion HD spool holds 20 yds more of 14# line than the standard zillion spool. It is really special with 1/2 oz and up.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:50 pm

78Staff wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:13 am
Liking the 21 Zillion, but in some cases I am finding the Boost Spool lacking for line capacity, ie for larger braid or or fluro. Heck I just about emptied the spool on a cast to clear up some loose braid loops the other day :(.

Assuming the common Daiwa 34mm variants, ie Steez 100H, TD-Z V-spool, SLC Deep/RCS 1016 etc but those spools are getting hard to find... are there any other option, that are somewhat available ;) I have a few of those in various reels currently, worse case I can move a few around, but looking for alternatives...
Any of the mag-Z spools, ie the 1016 mag-z (stock spool of the steez a tw) or the mag-Z boost (stock spool of the steez a2 and the zillion hd should be enough. since i use braids rated by the pe system idk what the average USDM equivalent would be but the normal sv boost spool holds 150m of #1.5 pe for me while both the 1016 mag z and mag z boost hold 150m of #2 pe

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:03 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:50 pm
78Staff wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:13 am

Any of the mag-Z spools, ie the 1016 mag-z (stock spool of the steez a tw) or the mag-Z boost (stock spool of the steez a2 and the zillion hd should be enough. since i use braids rated by the pe system idk what the average USDM equivalent would be but the normal sv boost spool holds 150m of #1.5 pe for me while both the 1016 mag z and mag z boost hold 150m of #2 pe
Ah I had forgotten about the Steez A spool and that it is a 1016... I had a bunch but sold them all when I went on a Zillion SV Spool kick, most of which have since been replaced lol. I've got a few spares I can play with - an OG 100H spool, a few Zillion SV (although, I don't think they hold much more than the Boost), and a couple R+ spools that would work. And the two RCS 1016's and a HLC that I currently have in other reels at the moment. Also some NRC's now that I think about it. I might have to play some musical spools unless I come across a couple 1016 rated spools out there.... thanks.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:52 pm

I got rid of my sv boost spool inside the zillion since i got the reel in 21. Large capacity spools i've been using on this reel is the rcs1016 from the t3, the magz spool with the tapered inductor from the megabass orochi cover hacking and a couple of the zpi rc-001 spools. All performing perfectly in the 21 zillion.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 am

yeah I moved some spools around last night, have a few PG's and a few NRC's, a SLC Deep, and in once case an R+. I have two RCS 1016's but they are in two good setups, TDZ 100ML's with spacers and 7.1 gear upgrades for my SwimBait and SwimJig setups. But I could pull them and go with R+'s in those probably. But figured I would change a couple, do some testing on the water and them go from there, before I revamped every combo lol...