Are you using any Chinese manufactured reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Are you using any Chinese manufactured reels?

Post by garza7585 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:03 am

They have an "Exist" clone on one of those sites, don't remember if it was Temu or Aliexpress, but it was 30 bucks, I'm have way tempted to order it and try it. I've spent 30 dollars on worse. I'm more paranoid about spending money on the platforms than anything though, all that stuff looks super sketch.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm

If I can afford I would buy trusted brand name Shimano/daiwa. If I cannot Walmart reel Abu, or alike would do me better than getting something I don’t know and no warranty whatsoever. You get what you paid still count. I’d rather buy used reel in flemarket. I have some low price reel as disposable when I’m on kayak or as loner like SLX, Exceler LT Fuego LT as well as conquest 100 DC or zillion HD or Ballistic FW.
Another thing that I’m afraid to buy from this big box Chinese online is brand name expensive stuff that sell for a lot cheaper. It might be B grade or rejected stuff from Manufacturers. I’d rather pay more and have it shipped from Japan.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:46 pm

Friend handed me his “just out of curiosity“ buy the other day - the Soloking Acura. I expected hot trash but in the end I was blown away how smooth, non-geary, nothing-weird it performs. Spool is fast, retrieve nothing to complain about. You get a lot for 40 bucks. Just feels like a cheap frame that’s too bulky for a UL reel. No clue how it does under load and over time. He uses it for trout so probably no big change.
Again, 40 bucks. 32 on sale. Ridiculous

nossuc242
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nossuc242 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:59 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:46 pm
Friend handed me his “just out of curiosity“ buy the other day - the Soloking Acura. I expected hot trash but in the end I was blown away how smooth, non-geary, nothing-weird it performs. Spool is fast, retrieve nothing to complain about. You get a lot for 40 bucks. Just feels like a cheap frame that’s too bulky for a UL reel. No clue how it does under load and over time. He uses it for trout so probably no big change.
Again, 40 bucks. 32 on sale. Ridiculous
The Soloking Acura is a pretty sweet small reel great for BFS or finesse Bass fishing with the deeper spool. I'll see how it holds up in overtime, but can't beat it for the price.

I bought 100 size reels like Soloking GKA200 and variants like Seasir Commando. I don't like how they sit on the reel seat and palming unformtable with its larger hump. Probably will return it. Reels feel pretty solid feeling and smooth, especially the Commando which has Aluminum gears vs GKA200's brass. The Seasir feels smoother though. If you have bigger hands, it'll probably be good options.

You all should check out the "pricier" CDM rods with Toray 1100G and M40x. Those are rather impressive for the price. 8-)
Last edited by nossuc242 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:01 am

Avoid plastic frame chinease reels with aluminum gears like the plague. If you do get a chinease reel when get one with an aluminum frame and side plate with brass gears.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 am

I'm really curious about the brand Loongze. Their round bfs reel looks like a tank with all that clean machining.
just hotdogin it