New Shimano Caius casting reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Shimano Caius casting reel

Post by joekaz » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:49 am

https://fish.shimano.com/en-US/product/ ... rvqas.html
So now a reel with a composite frame is 30 bucks more than the SLX with an aluminum frame and silent tune. With that said, I am going to try one out. It looks like it is going to be comfortable to grip.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Shimano Caius casting reel

Post by SSS » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:04 pm

I see a plastic cast control cap and i am automatically disgusted.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:48 pm

Super Free is the main technology in this reel...

Laughs in "2001 Curado SF".

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:23 am

joekaz wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:49 am
https://fish.shimano.com/en-US/product/ ... rvqas.html
So now a reel with a composite frame is 30 bucks more than the SLX with an aluminum frame and silent tune. With that said, I am going to try one out. It looks like it is going to be comfortable to grip.
Shimano isnt the only brand doing this. Abu did the same with the Revo X. It is now "C6 Carbon Frame", and $130 vs the previous aluminum frame version, which was $100.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:18 am

Looks like a new plastic platform to replace the old Casitas platform. This particular reel looks like the bottom of the barrel version like a Bass One but at Casitas money. Hard pass.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:40 am

This reel is 40 bucks more than the previous reel so i don't think it's going to sell very well. Why the hell did Shimano use brown on the reel. I checked out the previous reel but I did not like the comfort of it. The new one looks more like a Curado 200 without the wider nose. I have never used a reel with a plastic frame so I am going to get this reel to see how it holds up.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 am

You can get a Curado 150 MGL off Ali for $140...why would you buy this? The Curado 150 MGL is a far superior reel and a tank. I'm using mine for saltwater striper, halibut, and bat rays without a single issue. Casts jerkbaits and paddle tails like a rocket.

I put Daiwa's ultimate tournament drag grease on the stock washers of my Curado 150 MGL and it's smooth as butter with plenty of power.

I don't see why a plastic reel with all these plastic parts could be sold at $130...insane.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm

godshippy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 am
You can get a Curado 150 MGL off Ali for $140...why would you buy this? The Curado 150 MGL is a far superior reel and a tank. I'm using mine for saltwater striper, halibut, and bat rays without a single issue. Casts jerkbaits and paddle tails like a rocket.

I put Daiwa's ultimate tournament drag grease on the stock washers of my Curado 150 MGL and it's smooth as butter with plenty of power.

I don't see why a plastic reel with all these plastic parts could be sold at $130...insane.
I agree. I have a 151 MGL and love it. I still prefer the smaller 71 Curado's a little more though. Out of curiosity I'm going to get a little crazy and try the new Caius out. Another excuse to buy a new reel. I will be the TT guinea pig.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:27 pm

joekaz wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm
godshippy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 am

I agree. I have a 151 MGL and love it. I still prefer the smaller 71 Curado's a little more though. Out of curiosity I'm going to get a little crazy and try the new Caius out. Another excuse to buy a new reel. I will be the TT guinea pig.
Hats off to you sir hahaha