19 Antares A weight

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

19 Antares A weight

Post by HellaBread » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:07 pm

I don’t know why it didn’t hit me until now but how in gods name did shimano manage to make this reel so heavy especially when it’s compared to its big brother the 21 dc. The 19 being the significantly smaller reel with a magnesium frame somehow only weighs 0.1-0.2oz less than the 21 which is both scaled up from the 19 and uses an alu frame + the weight of the dc system and spool. I get that the front and side plates are all aluminum on both but you would expect a bigger weight difference just from the size increase alone.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 19 Antares A weight

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:50 am

Not 100% sure, but I know there are some shared Conquest A parts in there. Most of those parts are heavy, say brass gears, so that fractionally adds some more. I want to say I saw a disassembly of an Antares back when they came out and dude commented on how thick the side plates were or something.