braid or fluoro for jigs

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
dobynsforlife
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

braid or fluoro for jigs

Post by dobynsforlife » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:34 am

trying to decide if i want to go with fluoro or braid for my new jig set up. It's going to be an all around jigging set up. I mostly throw 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigs.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: braid or fluoro for jigs

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:12 am

Both. One of my rigs has FC (#16 Sunline Sniper FC) and the other has Daiwa Samurai braid. It really depends where you'll be putting the bait. Grass, vegetation and wood - braid. Rocks, break walls and zebra mussles - FC.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 am

Tokugawa wrote:Both. One of my rigs has FC (#16 Sunline Sniper FC) and the other has Daiwa Samurai braid. It really depends where you'll be putting the bait. Grass, vegetation and wood - braid. Rocks, break walls and zebra mussles - FC.
x2. I use both as well. Braid gets my vote for dirtier water and in vegetation. FC gets my vote of more abrasive areas and when pitching jigs in sparse cover in super clear water.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Staceydude
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Staceydude » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 pm

X3 I normally use Fluoro but in certain conditions Braid is called for.

I do not have two set up currently but I always have a reel spooled with Braid so I can stick it on if it warrants.

I just got a reel and need the rod to match it and will have one of each with me at all times.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Both. One of my rigs has FC (#16 Sunline Sniper FC) and the other has Daiwa Samurai braid. It really depends where you'll be putting the bait. Grass, vegetation and wood - braid. Rocks, break walls and zebra mussles - FC.
I use both also just use the line that will benefit you the most on the type of cover your fishing.

bh54lf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bh54lf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 pm

what setup did you get? im skeptical with throwing braid on really heavy action rods, you get a little shock absorption with fluoro.

i throw jigs primarily on 20 lb fluoro

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I use both...fluoro for open cover and braid around heavy cover. I typically use about a 3 foot leader of fluoro on my braid incase the fishes are finicky. Plus, it is also easier to break off fluoro than braid. Another plus if you use a fluoro leader is that the braid on the spool will last a very long time. I am still using braid that I spooled up over two years ago.

The reason I like braid is because of the sentivity and the no stretch for that near instant hookset. If you opt to use braid for jigging, just do not swing too hard on the hookset or back-off the drag a bit so the spool will give some on the hookset so you do not tear the bass' mouth.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 pm

bh54lf wrote:im skeptical with throwing braid on really heavy action rods, you get a little shock absorption with fluoro.
Like others, I throw fluoro where abrasion could be an issue. As far as throwing braid on heavy action rods, I don't think it is any issue at all. For the jig weights you have listed, I'd be using a heavy power rod - 4 or 5 power (current sticks is Dobyns DX744 or DX745). I use 40# or 50# braid.

When using really powerful rods, e.g. punching heavy mats with a 1 1/2oz weight on a Dobyns DX795, I'm using 65# braid.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I prefer Braid as I find Fluoro too brittle for my taste. When necessary, I'll tie a leader (P-Line CXX) to combat any abrasion issues.

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm

i use both too, but when I use braid, i don't tie a leader.
I use Daiwa Samurai braid

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:00 pm

I just use 15 - 20lb floro depending on cover.

dobynsforlife
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dobynsforlife » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 pm

i have a dobyns 703C with a revo sx. bh54lf where in mass are you from?

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

I think both would be the idea option but recently I've been using strictly braid with a FC leader. Basically I just got tired of having to respool the fluoro so often because of line memory. Most lakes I fish are very clear and I don't think it has necessarily cost me bites but I still worry about it sometimes (when not getting bit lol). I think this year I will probably try out a couple new fluoros since the majority of my fishing is in open water, around laydowns or rocks.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 am

breezy wrote:I think both would be the idea option but recently I've been using strictly braid with a FC leader. Basically I just got tired of having to respool the fluoro so often because of line memory. Most lakes I fish are very clear and I don't think it has necessarily cost me bites but I still worry about it sometimes (when not getting bit lol). I think this year I will probably try out a couple new fluoros since the majority of my fishing is in open water, around laydowns or rocks.
I think the memory has more to do with the brand of FC. I've had the same spool of Seaguar InvisX on a reel for two seasons. I'm thinking I MIGHT change it this spring.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:45 pm

They both have their time and place. I choose braid probably 90% of the time, don't fish many lakes with clear water. But when I do use fluorocarbon I choose SeaGuar InvizX.

SJ