Who makes a good co-poly?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who makes a good co-poly?

Post by husonfirst » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:31 am

Yozuri and Izorline.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 am

McCoy Mean Green is just fine! I have used it for many years after a recommendation from a guide. 12# for inshore fishing; 15-17# for bass. I have tried many others...the McCoy seems to last longer.
TB

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 am

So what you have is pretty much votes for every manufacturer of co-poly lines. I go back to what I said originally, they all are good lines, it's a matter of preference and also if you get an oddball bad batch every once in a while. I tried Yo-zuri hybrid and didn't like it. Thought it was too stiff on a spinning line at 6lb's. Love Silver Thread Excalibur at 6lb's and also use a company called Carbotex, which sent me 50 lines for free to try out. Reviews on it are that it's too stiff at lighter weight, but I think the 6 and 8 lb are great. I also have caught fish on it, so that probably influences my opinion a bit. I recollect someone posting before the board crashed a while back that the Yo-Zuri hybrid is the greatest line ever made. Just spray line lube on it and you're good to go. My response was how great can it be if you have to add additional conditioner to it.

Experiment with a few different lines by buying the smaller spools, figure out which one you like and go from there. Stick with the few major names and work your way down.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:27 am

- Copoly is hype... there are very few 100% nylon lines left on the market today; 95% of them, even the monos, are really copoly. I think the only well known 100% nylons left are made by Bayer for Ande, Maxima, and a select few Triple Fish lines.

- Generally, the lower the line stretch, the stronger the line will be.

- But as in life, when you increase one benefit, you have to give something else up... this is a general law of physics and nature. There is no free lunch. When they process a line to be lower stretch, the factory actually pre-stretches it. It also becomes stronger. However, knot strength tends to go down. See what I mean?

A couple of the lowest stretch monos, or "copoly", if you like, are P-line Evolution and Spiderwire XXX... but I had problems with knot strength for the worm fishing I do and my Bill Dance-like hooksets!

I've settled on Stren Magnathin... basically, it's the lowest stretch/strongest I've been able to find that still has acceptable knot strength. With that said, this line still sees a lot of force at the knot. You may need a very strong knot to use this line.

If you have trouble with that one, look into P-line CXX or Stren Brute Strength... these two are just a tad higher stretch but have better knot strength.

I'm having the time of my life with Stren Magnathin... it's low memory, limp and excellent casting, and the sensitivity approaches fluorocarbon. This line runs small though, according to the lb. test listed on the box. For example, I use 16lb. Magnathin on a spinning reel. If I wanted to switch to Stren Brute Strength, I would buy 8lb. Why? Because they are the same diameter. The only lines that are true test rated are IGFA lines... most of the rest test out higher than the box number. Start comparing lines of the same diameter and forget what lb. test is labeled on the box... compare apples-to-apples and end your confusion.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 am

WishinIwerFishin wrote:Since trying Yo-Zuri Hybrid 2 years ago I havent had a reason to use any other line. The stuff is strong and sensative, on rigs I would usualy use FC line I use braid main line with YZH top shot.
+1

all my setups are braid main line with YZH top shots. I normally start with at 10' leader and keep retying until it hits about 4' and then add a new leader...

mck1975
Angler
Angler

Post by mck1975 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am

I'm liking of the Vicious Co-Poly, been using it for a couple years now.
GO BUCKS - O-H-I-O

spiritman13
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spiritman13 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:09 am

I grew up fishing for bass on the east coast, and have recently started bass fishing again after many years of chasing trout across the western U.S. I've been astonished at the profusion of products -- rods, reels, lines, lures, etc. -- on the market for bass fishing that were unheard of when I was a boy. Therefore, after I bought some new rods and reels, I spent quite a bit of time reading reviews and talking to other bass fishermen about the "best" line(s) to use. Since I am semi-retired and "price sensitive" about what I buy, I chose "P-line Floroclear" to get started. This product got a very good review on this website some 8 years ago (rating of 8.7; review available in the archive), and it is very reasonably priced. So far, I'm very satisfied with its performance, particularly at its price point. I will probably give several of the newer fluorocarbon lines a try sometime soon, but for now the "P-line Floroclear" line has me smiling.