What is your favorite fishing knot

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What is your favorite fishing knot

Post by husonfirst » Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

I used to tie an obscure knot called the World's Fair knot but now I use the Palomar, which is easier to tie.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:11 am

Used to be the Palomar but after learning how to tie the centauri i never looked back however it can't be used on braid. For braid I use San diego jam or palomar.

Phantasy_Fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantasy_Fishing » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Palomar for braid.

Clinch knot for monofilament.
In Pursuit of The Ultimate Fishing Experience...!!!

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 am

huson1st....I experimented with the World's fair knot...worked fine with mono or co-poly. First time with braid it cut itself and my jig is still circling the earth :lol: .
TB

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:25 am

Palomar

Alberto for line to line

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Alberto with those knot tying rings. I took the hi's tacklebox/cal's instruction seriously. ;)

Tie 832 to flouro leaders. It's crazy strong; everything else fails before it does, it seems.

Uni knots for everthing else except palomar for drop shot.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 am

Miller Knot ( i forgot the name of it awhile ago and for some reason call it the GENE SIMMONS knot :D and it stuck)
Its simple to tie incredibly strong, and very easy to tell if its a good knot. It can be used quickly and easily in all situations something the polomar can't do) On top of that it will also hold after long soaking and and dryings someting the polomar will not do. As I have witnessed them loosen up after drying out

It is also more consistant with Higher pound tests.

If I am using a single length of braid it's a doubled uni
If i'm going from a bimini to terminal its either a cats paw or double uni.

Light mono I'll tie a uni (hoping it will fail prior to my braid to mono join saving me a re rigging hassle)
Or a trilene when snags are not present.

Braid to leader join.

Offshore I either serve and splice direct (Tuna Popping) or for jigging I will either splice an endloop in hollow or go bimini to wind on via cats paw for metered line jigging (FINS non hollow metered 80lb).

Or I will go bimini / spliced endloop to leader direct via an improved bristol. If the endloop has been cut I will use a double uni to single uni with confidence as a back up.

For Freshwater line to leader joins I lik the alberto or double to single uni.

I am not a fan of the Palomar. Its to small and every part of it is crucial in terms of how its going to hold. The double uni with braid is as strong if not stronger (i use alot of un coated lines and the dbl uni is stronger than the polomar hands down.) And it can take some damage and not fail. Where as the polomar can. As a bonus the doubled uni is the easiest to tie consistantly.

To join mono to mono. I don't use mono as a mainline except for offshore. And even then its only on two 50w lrsa. And to do that I take about 15' of 100lb JB hollow and serve 5' of the mono in each side and serve and glue with the JB adhesive and activator. Leaving a small 5' length of just braid in between the ends of the 2 serves.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 am

Mono - I've always used the Improved Clinch, but recently have been using the Miller or a modified version of the Uni Knot with the line around the eye twice and 4-5 wraps.

Fluoro - Same as for mono.

Braid - Palomar or the same modified Uni Knot with 8-9 wraps instead of 4-5.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Pegasus wrote:
vArm wrote:Use the most: Miller
Easiest to tie: Palomar
Most fun to tie: Modified Albright or San Diego Jam
I call it a double San Diego Jam it starts as a double clinch but only the beginning part meaning to run the line trough
the eye of the hook twice in the end you end up with 3 tag ends Try it since you were the only one mentioning the San Diego Jam
This is strongest knot there is IMO. Only one I use

Regards
Sandiego Jam with less loops for Mono/Floro (Line needs to be wet IMO)
Sandiego Jam with 6-8 loops for Briad
Albright Special for joining Braid to Braid.

I agree. The Sandiego Knot is by far the most powerful I have used and I have used alot. Once you try this knot and learn to tie it fast, you'll never go back to polamar, uni, etc. Knots.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Drop Shot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drop Shot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:31 am

Palomar 4 Braid =D>
Improved Clinch 4 floro [-(
They work 4 me, but I still check em alot, just habit
IMHO

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:57 am

I have tested every knot that i read about against the Palomar and tied properly the Palomar wins every time.
When joining line to leader I use a knot that Bill Siemental showed on fishing university called a whip finish albright or something like that. It will completely destroy any other that I have tested and your knot to lure always gives before the leader connection.
Palomar + lure = always

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Texas_bullet wrote:huson1st....I experimented with the World's fair knot...worked fine with mono or co-poly. First time with braid it cut itself and my jig is still circling the earth :lol: .
TB

Whoops!

I started using braid this year and I've found that the Palomar doesn't work too well for braid. The knot tends to tighten before the slack is taken out. I've gone to the San Diego Jam for braid but Palomar for mono and fluoro.

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm exclusively tying The San Diego Jam for Fluoro and mono, and the Polomar for braid. Really liking the SD Jam, very fast to tie, and doesn't leave allot of excess line to clip like the polomar. ;)