My Review of Berkley Trilene 100% Fluoro vs. BPS 100% Fluoro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
soua0363
Angler
Angler

My Review of Berkley Trilene 100% Fluoro vs. BPS 100% Fluoro

Post by soua0363 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 am

Over the last couple of years I have been testing and using both Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon and BPS 100% Fluorocarbon and this is what I have experienced between the two using 6, 8, 12, 14, and 17 lbs test. With each pound tests, the BPS lines are softer, more manageable, and have smaller diameters than the comparable Berkley pound tests. It seems the Berkley has a coating to help make it more abrasive resistant which may be why it is thicker and have more memory.

They both are strong...I believe much stronger than their rated test strength. I have been able to pull my 14' foot jon with all my gears with 6 lbs test with either of them while trying to break snags. Quite impressive and provides me with more confident when fighting larger fish on light line.

Another difference between the two is that when breaking snags, the Berkley breaks cleanly while the BPS kind of shatter. When the BPS breaks there seems to be a lot of heat being generated to where the line around the break point will wrinkle up and look like when you try to cinch a knot tight without wetting it. Do not know if that is a good thing or not but please comment if you know.

In regards to stretch, I cannot attest to whether either of them have less stretch than the other or less stretch than mono. What I can attest to is that both of them are more sensitive than mono due to fluorocarbon being denser than mono. I tested the sensitive over winter a couple years ago by dragging a pratice plug over the carpet. With fluoro, I can feel the plug going up and down the fibers and the vibration comes up through the rod distinctly. With mono, there is a dead feel. It does not provide the same vibration as fluoro. I did the test with both line with the same rod...St.Croix LTB 7'-3" XH "Big Jig".

If you are planning on using either one of them on a spinning reel, I would recommend the BPS over the Berkley due to it being more manageable and softer. Right now, I have 6 lbs Berkley on my Sol and I do not even know how it happens but when casting the line will tangle all up as soon as it comes off the spool and go through the guides. This happens even after making sure that the line lays evenly and tight on the spool. I have even used line conditioners on it and it still does the same. I never had this issue with the BPS line.

For casting reels either of them would not have any issues due to the way the line comes off the spool.

I have not tried other brands or premium brands yet and see how it compares to Berkley or BPS but if anyone of you have, please provide your inputs.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: My Review of Berkley Trilene 100% Fluoro vs. BPS 100% Fl

Post by DavidSA » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Nice review.

Having fished the BPS and Trilene, I prefer the Trilene because I think it is a bit more AR. I had just a couple of breakoffs with the BPS that I did not think I should have had.

A line I like better then the Trilene is Gamma FC. I have been buying Trilene because of price.

Here is a visual test I observed once. My Dad was casting parallel to shore with with a worm with two different rods/reels. One had FC and the other Hybrid line. What I observed was the FC line jumping back and forth each time a rock was hit. By comparision, the hybrid did not jump half as much. The radical jumping of the FC not doubt put pressure on the rod that gave it sensitivity.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My Review of Berkley Trilene 100% Fluoro vs. BPS 100% Fl

Post by cjtoad » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Thank's for the review I might have to try the BPS line now.