So how does everyone feel now?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

So how does everyone feel now?

Post by dustlane » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 pm

It has been a while since fluoro hit the market at as a mainline. At first everyone though it was super low stretch, invisible, super tough, etc. Now we know that alot of that isn't necessarily true. It has alot of stretch, the invisiblity factor is questionable at best. Some of it is pretty darned tough. Also, it sinks and is quite sensitive due to its density. But taking all of this into consideration, is 200 yards of fluoro worth $25 when you can buy four times as much Big Game for about $8? I used fluoro (several brands) most of last year. I did like the sensitivity and abrasion resistance but the handling and cost were ridiculous. I found that even though fluoro is really tough, if it ever gets the slightest nick in it, you better cut some line off or you will be hoping your bait floats so you can go look for it. This year I have been using Stren Original and Big Game and I have caught just as many fish as last year so far. Plus I have more money in my pocket to buy gas (ouch!) and lures that my wife keeps reminding me I don't need. So my question is this. Honestly, do you feel that fluoro is worth the cost now that we know its pros and cons? Honestly. I know alot of guys that swear by it but not one of them has just been dominating tournaments around here. As a matter of fact, most of the guys around here that consistently win bass tournaments locally are using Big Game or Stren or some other mono/copoly. I am looking for honest input. If you think fluoro is the best thing since things implants, is it because it has really improved your fishing or do you just like to be using the same thing as your favorite pro? I always laugh when I hear "If it's good enough for Van Dam then it's good enough for me." If all of the pros started using straight mono and talked it up like they do fluoro, I have a feeling fluoro sales would drop dramatically. Heck, I still have a few rods with fluoro on them so I am not defending or bashing any type of line. I am just curious if fluoro is still considered a "must have" or if there are other anglers out there that feel like it is not quite all that it is cracked up to be.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: So how does everyone feel now?

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Been tourney fishing for over 20 years now and you won't find fluoro or braid on ANY of my setups.
Trilene XT green for me please.

I stray sometimes and try out the "new hot lines", but always come back to the XT. Still haven't found a line that suits me better. No "mystery" breakoffs for me. :D

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 am

My eyes hurt. 8-[

I've found my lines to be Seagaur and Sunline Metan Green as far as FC goes. Both of these lines aren't too thick and durable. I tried P Line and I didn't like it, same with Trilene. I also have Sufix deep cranking line on the cranking combo so I use what is necessary for what technique I need them for. Also I don't have a Pro I like, I like lures/lines not because pro's use it, but because it works for me. If you find yourself using something because some Pro is using it then you are on the wrong road.

As far as KVD goes, the only thing I have of his are three of his slient cranks, otherwise KVD is KVD. He's just another tourney winner in my book. :big grin:

Best way to find what you like/need is to buy it and try it.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

robertj298
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robertj298 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 am

dustlane wrote:It has been a while since fluoro hit the market at as a mainline. At first everyone though it was super low stretch, invisible, super tough, etc. Now we know that alot of that isn't necessarily true. It has alot of stretch, the invisiblity factor is questionable at best. Some of it is pretty darned tough. Also, it sinks and is quite sensitive due to its density. But taking all of this into consideration, is 200 yards of fluoro worth $25 when you can buy four times as much Big Game for about $8? I used fluoro (several brands) most of last year. I did like the sensitivity and abrasion resistance but the handling and cost were ridiculous. I found that even though fluoro is really tough, if it ever gets the slightest nick in it, you better cut some line off or you will be hoping your bait floats so you can go look for it. This year I have been using Stren Original and Big Game and I have caught just as many fish as last year so far. Plus I have more money in my pocket to buy gas (ouch!) and lures that my wife keeps reminding me I don't need. So my question is this. Honestly, do you feel that fluoro is worth the cost now that we know its pros and cons? Honestly. I know alot of guys that swear by it but not one of them has just been dominating tournaments around here. As a matter of fact, most of the guys around here that consistently win bass tournaments locally are using Big Game or Stren or some other mono/copoly. I am looking for honest input. If you think fluoro is the best thing since things implants, is it because it has really improved your fishing or do you just like to be using the same thing as your favorite pro? I always laugh when I hear "If it's good enough for Van Dam then it's good enough for me." If all of the pros started using straight mono and talked it up like they do fluoro, I have a feeling fluoro sales would drop dramatically. Heck, I still have a few rods with fluoro on them so I am not defending or bashing any type of line. I am just curious if fluoro is still considered a "must have" or if there are other anglers out there that feel like it is not quite all that it is cracked up to be.
What!!!!! original stren?????? Thats blasphemous!!! I posted almost the exact same thing and was told how much inferior this line was compared to all the newer high tech lines. Some people don't like it being inferred that their outrageously high priced line isn't really much better than some of the old standbys :lol:

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 am

I've been using 15# fluoro on my jigs & plastics rods, but I just changed it out to 17# BPS Excel day before yesterday. I like the way you stay in constant contact with fluorocarbon line, but I sometimes think I'm fishing too fast. The larger diameter+copoly of the Excel should slow things down a little bit.

I've been using the Vicious FC so really I wasn't spending too much money there.

I've only been using FC for contact baits for the past 8-10 months, prior to that I didn't really like it.

I've got to get some of the KVD line conditioner now and see if it's all it's made out to be. If it works, I'll probably just use BPS Excel for everything.

Peacheater81
Angler
Angler

Post by Peacheater81 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 am

I have been using Flouro for a bout a year now. I like the sensitivity, but knots are more work. I had some regular Vicious that was garbage. I like Seaguar and sunline, but not the prices. Maybe I'll go back to XL

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm

The only reason that I use fluorocarbon is for that sink factor and the added sensitivity. Copolymer lines like P-Line CXX or Yozuri Hybrid are just as abrasion resistant, but I don't get the same feedback. I don't buy the whole "more invisible" bit or that there is less stretch because P-Line Fluorocarbon stretches and so does Trilene 100% as well as all the other brands.

I think what it all comes down to is how comfortable do you feel fishing a given line, and do you honestly believe it's the correct line for the application. It's all about confidence in what you're fishing.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:57 pm

dustlane wrote:Honestly, do you feel that fluoro is worth the cost now that we know its pros and cons? Honestly. I know alot of guys that swear by it but not one of them has just been dominating tournaments around here. As a matter of fact, most of the guys around here that consistently win bass tournaments locally are using Big Game or Stren or some other mono/copoly. I am looking for honest input. If you think fluoro is the best thing since things implants, is it because it has really improved your fishing or do you just like to be using the same thing as your favorite pro? I always laugh when I hear "If it's good enough for Van Dam then it's good enough for me." If all of the pros started using straight mono and talked it up like they do fluoro, I have a feeling fluoro sales would drop dramatically. Heck, I still have a few rods with fluoro on them so I am not defending or bashing any type of line. I am just curious if fluoro is still considered a "must have" or if there are other anglers out there that feel like it is not quite all that it is cracked up to be.
Most of the stuff that KVD fishes has never caught a fish for me (exception being the 5XD,6XD and the 2.5 squarebill.) However, I feel fluorocarbon is superior to anything else in the "right situations." If I am flipping heavy, matted grass, then I am using braid. If I am using topwaters I am using braid or copolymer. If I am fishing deep 15-50', then I am using fluorocarbon because it is VASTLY superior to copolymer or braid in that situation. My catch ratio has more than tripled using football jigs, riggin, wormin and spoons since going to fluoro almost 9-10 years ago. If I am fishing a senko, finnesse jig or a worm, I am fishing fluoro. For spinnerbaits, shallow crankbaits, wakebaits, I might use a heavy fluoro, but am more likely to use a high quality copolylmer. I guess for me if it is thick cover, short line, high impact, I am most likely to be using copolymer or braid most of the time.

Is fluoro the "best thing since implants", no, but in the right situations it is superior to anything else in my opinion. As for the price, fluoro will last much longer than big game, stren or CXX because it does not absorb water and is not as affected by exposure to UV light like those lines are. Another point is that the fluoro has gotten better each year. When sugoi was the only thing I could find, I thought it was incredible. Then I found shooter and BPS and several other very good lines. Now I am using Tatsu for worm, jig and light flipping. It is the only fluoro I have found other than shooter that holds up to the high impact of flipping.

Just my thoughts...

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I fish alot of deeper water (15-30 ft.) and I, personally, don't feel that fluoro is any better than a good fluoro. I used fluoro most of last year. This year, I have been using Stren Original and Big Game and my catch ratio is no worse than last year. Would I be catching more if I was using fluoro? I can't say. For me, so far I am happy with what I have been using. But, knowing me, that will change before the year is out. I am always trying new lines so some new fluoro may find its way back on some of my reels before the end of the season. But, for now, IMO, mono and copoly perform just as well as the high priced fluoros.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 am

I still believe FC is a must have for bottom contact baits due to its sensitivity (density). I still don't throw it on my treble hook lures or spinnerbaits...usually.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 am

I feel that I should just go back to using it as leaders. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:16 am

Steve Williams wrote:
dustlane wrote:Honestly, do you feel that fluoro is worth the cost now that we know its pros and cons? Honestly. I know alot of guys that swear by it but not one of them has just been dominating tournaments around here. As a matter of fact, most of the guys around here that consistently win bass tournaments locally are using Big Game or Stren or some other mono/copoly. I am looking for honest input. If you think fluoro is the best thing since things implants, is it because it has really improved your fishing or do you just like to be using the same thing as your favorite pro? I always laugh when I hear "If it's good enough for Van Dam then it's good enough for me." If all of the pros started using straight mono and talked it up like they do fluoro, I have a feeling fluoro sales would drop dramatically. Heck, I still have a few rods with fluoro on them so I am not defending or bashing any type of line. I am just curious if fluoro is still considered a "must have" or if there are other anglers out there that feel like it is not quite all that it is cracked up to be.
Most of the stuff that KVD fishes has never caught a fish for me (exception being the 5XD,6XD and the 2.5 squarebill.) However, I feel fluorocarbon is superior to anything else in the "right situations." If I am flipping heavy, matted grass, then I am using braid. If I am using topwaters I am using braid or copolymer. If I am fishing deep 15-50', then I am using fluorocarbon because it is VASTLY superior to copolymer or braid in that situation. My catch ratio has more than tripled using football jigs, riggin, wormin and spoons since going to fluoro almost 9-10 years ago. If I am fishing a senko, finnesse jig or a worm, I am fishing fluoro. For spinnerbaits, shallow crankbaits, wakebaits, I might use a heavy fluoro, but am more likely to use a high quality copolylmer. I guess for me if it is thick cover, short line, high impact, I am most likely to be using copolymer or braid most of the time.

Is fluoro the "best thing since implants", no, but in the right situations it is superior to anything else in my opinion. As for the price, fluoro will last much longer than big game, stren or CXX because it does not absorb water and is not as affected by exposure to UV light like those lines are. Another point is that the fluoro has gotten better each year. When sugoi was the only thing I could find, I thought it was incredible. Then I found shooter and BPS and several other very good lines. Now I am using Tatsu for worm, jig and light flipping. It is the only fluoro I have found other than shooter that holds up to the high impact of flipping.

Just my thoughts...
+1

Just like most things in fishing, everything has a place and time. is it the best? best at what? I never bought into the "invisibility" claim, I use FC for its low stretch (the ones i use anyways), sink rate and that i can get away with a thinner diameter. or at least get a more accurate idea of what the breaking point really is.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 am

I've tried a few fluoros over the years. I've never seen anything with the combination of slack-line sensitivity and abrasion resistance it has. With that said, it has resiliency problems... once stretched, the knot-strength takes a nose dive. So, it's great on day one, but by day two or three, it's mystery break-offs galore.

I've gone back to mono... super low stretch Stren Magnathin. It's only a hair less sensitive than fluoro, very low memory, better handling, softer, and wayyyyy stronger.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 am

I use flouro on most of my set ups and like the added sensativity and abrasion resistance compared to nylon. I feel it is greatly overpriced but what can you do? It does last much longer than nylon for me at least. That offsets some of the cost.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 am

Yes, I honestly feel FC is well worth any tradeoffs. The only tradeoff I've seen is the line nick issues. But I check my line often, and cut off/retie when needed. I have no knot issues (Invisx) at all. I fish a lot of deeper, contact type baits and the added sensitivity keeps me coming back to FC. The notion to give up that advantage in feel to go back to mono doesn't even make sense to me at all, personally.

But to each thier own.