So how does everyone feel now?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: So how does everyone feel now?

Post by Johnny A » Fri May 13, 2011 2:20 am

Likin' flouro ... the sensitive is inherent ALMOST regardless of line tautness. As someone mentioned previously, if braid isn't tight, sensitivity is basically nonexistent. That being said, there are definite pluses to braid, especially when used in heavy cover with light tackle.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Fri May 13, 2011 3:34 am

It definately shouldn't be used for everything like some guys say. I like throwing it on cranks, and weightless soft plastics. I like every thing about FC except, like some have already said, when it gets a nick in it you better be cutting of some line. (and for me that seems like it is way to often) For the rest of my applications i stick with spiderwire and my suffix elite mono.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Fri May 13, 2011 8:45 am

Fluorocarbon leader material has become an integral part of my fishing tackle. I'm pleased with it. I keep spools of Seaguar or Berkeley 30#, 20#, 15#, 12#, 8#, 4# and 2# on the smallest spools sold.

On spinning an bait casting outfits I typically use braid because I like the longer casts. I'll add an appropriate leader to the braid, usually about six feet long.

For fly fishing leaders, I quit buying commercial tapered leaders and make my own with the fluro I have on hand.

I appreciate the earlier post about Trilene XT. Great stuff. I still use mono on a few outfits and my favorite baitcaster, using an Ambassadeur 4600 narrow spool reel, is loaded with 10# clear XT. Tough stuff. Inexpensive. Works great.

I'm also using braid on a surf casting outfit, but may go back to mono for that. If I do, it will probably be Sufix mono, which I like a lot.

The driving factor in my use of fluoro has been my increased use of braid.

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 am

For me it`s Fluoro for bottom contact baits or any bait that you need to gain additional depth like crankbaits or hard jerkbaits in certain situations. The only bottom contact bait I do not like it for would be Silver Buddy types. With the increased sensitivity I react too soon not allowing the fish to take the bait deep enough and lose alot. Mono for that ap.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 am

slipperybob wrote:I feel that I should just go back to using it as leaders. :big grin:

Thats what i do. I use braid with an 6 to 7ft flouro leader using an albright knot to connect it. Works good for me

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:45 pm

I have developed a confidence in fluorocarbon because of success with brands like Vicious, Gamma, Trilene 100%, and Vanish(hit and miss but I only use it as a leader on spinning gear). I am now trying McCoy and so far so good really like the lack of memory.

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Sun May 15, 2011 6:14 pm

I've tried them, and yes I do use Fluoro on occasion.. Has it increased my fish catching..??? I highly doubt it. I grew up in the early 80's (meaning I graduated high school in 87). Back then all we had to mostly choose from were Trilene XT/XL, Stren, Maxima, and a few others. On a minimum wage budget like I was on then, I got turned on to BIg Game.. Why?? Because you could buy a spool of 1000 yards of line in various # tests for 5$ a spool.. I've tried a lot of the newer lines and have grown to really like the PP Braid for certain techniques, but all in all and dollar for dollar, I just can't pass up those Big spools of Big Game for $8, now.. I still use it and I don't feel like I'm throwing money away everytime I respool.. Also, I respool more often.. Are there probably better lines out there..?? Yes, Probably so.. Are there better lines out there for the same amount of $$$..?? I highly doubt it, not for my type of fishing anyway.. I Bass fish 99.9% of the time and in my 40 years of fishing, I have yet to find a line that I like 100%. The BG has a little bit too much stretch, and has terrible memory when the temperature changes... I've learned to deal the little things it doesn't do well though.. It's still the line I use most of the time.. Fluoro is too expensive, even though I still buy it occasionally, to really justify any benefits it may have in the waters I fish where there's usually only 2-6" visibilty... I'm still searching for that line that I like 100% of the time, but until then it's still going to be BG for me..... :D
Pmedicbm

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 am

I am a big fan of Yo-Zuri Hybrid but have one rig spooled with Seaguar AbrazX & another with Seaguar Tatsu. Both of these lines are used on bottom contact baits. Both of these lines have good sensitivity & good abrasion resistance, but with out a doubt if I were still tournament fishing I would be spooled up with Tatsu for any bottom contact baits. It's just that good. :)

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:18 am

i like seaguar flouro on spinning gear, which I rarely use.....ill stick to mono and braid for baitcasting....i get plenty of sensitivity out of mono.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

fshrfwl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshrfwl » Fri May 20, 2011 11:29 am

Im still not convinced its that much better. I keep on a 3-4 set ups at all times but still have my old favorite flouroclear on everything else. Cant say my fishing has gotten any better with the pure FC