cutting braided line

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: cutting braided line

Post by vArm » Wed May 11, 2011 1:48 pm

godshippy wrote:The little scissors on my Leatherman are amazing at cutting braid and tag ends!
X2 That's my back up cutters when I forget where I put my Clippers on my Badge Reel. I've been using those same pair of scissors for 5 years now and they haven't dulled at all.
MegabassUSA.com

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm

A sharp knife is my standard cutter. I've recently tried a Mustad multi-plier tool and the scissors on that cuts braids very clean to my surprise.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Wed May 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Get the Rapala pliers/cutters--they work great. They are as good or better than the $50 Browning cutter/pliers that I lost a couple of years ago, and as well as a high-quality wire cutter. One thing I really like is the fact that you get the pliers for hook removal and the cutter all in one tool. I use them for all my line cutting.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Cheap scissors from wally-world. Just get new ones every month or so, mine disappear before then anyway.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:54 pm

cjtoad wrote:Cheap scissors from wally-world. Just get new ones every month or so, mine disappear before then anyway.
hahaha I know what you mean...I went out of town to an old buddies house and left my $60 pair of pliers out in the woods somewhere...which is why I ended up with the $6 Berkleys that dont work... ](*,)
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:38 pm

godshippy wrote:The little scissors on my Leatherman are amazing at cutting braid and tag ends!
This.

BRONZEBACK29
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK29 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:21 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:
BRONZEBACK29 wrote:Fiskars are the best scissors I have used for cutting braid, there also cheap.
You can buy them at walmart for around 3 bucks

http://www.styleceo.com/fiskars-for-kid ... p/6857612/

really? haha they look so cheap and kiddy....you think those are fine for 55# line? im having troubles with the berkley pliers which are meant to cut braid, i just dont see how these little scissors would be any better? ...guess it wouldnt hurt to try its only 3 bucks...

I think they will suprise you, I've been using them for years now with no problems
scroll down and you will see what powerpro recommends also
http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content ... erpro.html
LIVE TO FISH-FISH TO LIVE

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:55 am

BRONZEBACK29 wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:
BRONZEBACK29 wrote:Fiskars are the best scissors I have used for cutting braid, there also cheap.

really? haha they look so cheap and kiddy....you think those are fine for 55# line? im having troubles with the berkley pliers which are meant to cut braid, i just dont see how these little scissors would be any better? ...guess it wouldnt hurt to try its only 3 bucks...

I think they will suprise you, I've been using them for years now with no problems
scroll down and you will see what powerpro recommends also
http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content ... erpro.html
Great find, thanks man \:D/ =D>
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 am

I have been satisfied with the drug-store nail clippers. They work very well and they are cheap enough to replace every couple of years if they dull. Ironically, fancier clippers made for fishing have never worked well for me.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 am

VRG wrote:Get the Rapala pliers/cutters--they work great. They are as good or better than the $50 Browning cutter/pliers that I lost a couple of years ago, and as well as a high-quality wire cutter. One thing I really like is the fact that you get the pliers for hook removal and the cutter all in one tool. I use them for all my line cutting.
second this...

however my plier just priced at $3-4 at most n work very well, it even have split ring application plus split shot crimp... bought a few n kept as spare(a couple in fishing room for domestic purpose, couple in my truck, one in my vest, one in bag n countless more somewhere rusting nearby some waterway) too since its so cheap n my bad memories always lose them more often than not, no heartache

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

Serrated edge braid scissors. Works great...no issues.

Team9nine
Angler
Angler

Post by Team9nine » Thu May 12, 2011 3:18 pm

A small pair of diagonal cutters is the best, most durable thing I've found yet for the money.

-T9
diagonal_cutters.jpg
diagonal_cutters.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 5547 times

NickN
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NickN » Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Rapala Super Line Scissors work well for me. I have had a pair going on three seasons and cut a lot of line with them and they still work great. Can't beat them for $4.99.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Super-Li ... l+Products

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu May 12, 2011 6:10 pm

x2

grewia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by grewia » Thu May 12, 2011 6:50 pm

I have a pair of these and they are excellent! One blade is plain, the opposing blade is serrated. They are even capable of cutting tag ends w/o tension, just not all the time.

Only caveat is the space they take, definitely not the smallest. I've seen some pin-on scissors with what looks like the same material and blades but smaller, need to check that out.

A close second are a pair of small scissors from an old disection kit. Found it last week, just the scissors. Haven't used them in the field but they do exactly what the above scissors do, just in a smaller, sharper package. Only info I have of them is "Pakistan" on one of the blades. Both blades are plain.