DC Friendly Line

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Calico Killer Kevin
Angler
Angler

DC Friendly Line

Post by Calico Killer Kevin » Tue May 10, 2011 3:52 pm

What are you guys running on your DC reels? Deciding what to throw on a 100DC. I've heard mixed reviews with spectra, but the extra capacity in critical in this case and I could really use it. Versatility is another biggie. Even if you have a Calais, what line do you run and what for? Just looking for options. Thanks.

newgenleftcrank
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: DC Friendly Line

Post by newgenleftcrank » Tue May 24, 2011 5:22 pm

40# hollow braid for Conquest 201DC , thinking of jumping to 60# hollow braid. 15# BPS Carbon Gold for Metanium Mg DC7.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue May 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Seguar Invisix 12# on my 200DC for bass fishing. Works well for me.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 am

The Calcutta 100DC handles braid, fluorocarbon, and nylon mono with equal aplomb
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon May 30, 2011 4:34 am

I have 14lb Sunline Super Natural on my 250DC. I haven't had any issues with getting spooled, though I have much more capacity. I imagine the 100 can handle any braid you want to put on it for more capacity. These reels are solid in every way (drag, gearing, etc.)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 am

Been using suffix 40 on my 200 dc for awhile now. I like its semi abrasiveness as its easier to free / cut off grass when fishing around vegitation. Much easier than the slicker braids from daiwa, berkley and JB.

In regards to using hollow core?? 60lb??? really that stuff breaks at close to 100lbs (Jerry brown does anyway). Additionally it doesn't splice well with mono under 30lbs as the serve WILL creep. Stick with 40. (I've used about 4 miles of hollow from 60 to 130 spooled on tuna jigging popping and trolling gear (8 tiagras 4 torsas 4 talicas 2 stellas 4 saragoasas well as a mp 3000 for deep drop and swordfishing not bragging just letting ya know I have dealt with a ton of HC)

newgenleftcrank
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by newgenleftcrank » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:32 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Been using suffix 40 on my 200 dc for awhile now. I like its semi abrasiveness as its easier to free / cut off grass when fishing around vegitation. Much easier than the slicker braids from daiwa, berkley and JB.

In regards to using hollow core?? 60lb??? really that stuff breaks at close to 100lbs (Jerry brown does anyway). Additionally it doesn't splice well with mono under 30lbs as the serve WILL creep. Stick with 40. (I've used about 4 miles of hollow from 60 to 130 spooled on tuna jigging popping and trolling gear (8 tiagras 4 torsas 4 talicas 2 stellas 4 saragoasas well as a mp 3000 for deep drop and swordfishing not bragging just letting ya know I have dealt with a ton of HC)

I couldn't splice 40# with a 20# needle. Any tips/tricks??? JB hollow that I'm using. Wanted to try the 60# JB, maybe it'll splice easier than the 40# JB.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:10 am

Shouldn't it be "Line Friendly DC".

What is the purpose of going with all the high tech and then have to be careful about the line.
My point is: Or it works with all lines or better do some more R&D.

I have been looking at the Shimano Scorpion XT DC7 (only 3 modes for different lines, that is all) and I'm very skeptical about the performance of the breaks in some conditions like pitching and skipping or even with lighter lures. Also the ability to correct breaking settings during casts and account also for thumb break force.

Any feedback on this?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:36 am

newgenleftcrank wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:Been using suffix 40 on my 200 dc for awhile now. I like its semi abrasiveness as its easier to free / cut off grass when fishing around vegitation. Much easier than the slicker braids from daiwa, berkley and JB.

I couldn't splice 40# with a 20# needle. Any tips/tricks??? JB hollow that I'm using. Wanted to try the 60# JB, maybe it'll splice easier than the 40# JB.

I have a very simple answer. And I'm not sure your gonna like it. But it will probably make you feel better as you've been probably going nuts trying to splice it...LOL

40lb Jerry Brown is not spliceable. No way no how. As a matter of fact if bought from basil papis (bhptackle) he marks the spools with a sharpie and labels it as such. I use 40 solid with an 8 turn alberto or bimini to imp. bristol knot and never had a failure yet.

Shimano is sending me a mile or two of their PP hollow ace. And from what I've experienced their 40lb can be spliced and served.

Hope that put you out of your misery... :mrgreen:

newgenleftcrank
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by newgenleftcrank » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:16 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
newgenleftcrank wrote:

I have a very simple answer. And I'm not sure your gonna like it. But it will probably make you feel better as you've been probably going nuts trying to splice it...LOL

40lb Jerry Brown is not spliceable. No way no how. As a matter of fact if bought from basil papis (bhptackle) he marks the spools with a sharpie and labels it as such. I use 40 solid with an 8 turn alberto or bimini to imp. bristol knot and never had a failure yet.

Shimano is sending me a mile or two of their PP hollow ace. And from what I've experienced their 40lb can be spliced and served.

Hope that put you out of your misery... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply. I did settle on that thought.