Persistent problem with braid in spinning tackle

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Persistent problem with braid in spinning tackle

Post by Questor » Thu May 12, 2011 4:07 am

Hello:

Perhaps you can help me with this: I have been using Power Pro and Sufix braid in 14 to 30 pound test on my Penn spinning reels. These are the older style SS models and the newer style Slammer model. The problem I encounter regularly is a tangle in the first 10 to 20 yards of line that requires cutting the line and re-joining it with a double unit knot.

The problem with this is that the fuzz on the line will sometimes catch while I'm making a cast, ruining the cast.

When I tried FireLine on a new style Abu Soron spinning reel I never get tangles like this. Do you think that using Fire Line would fix the problem on my Penn reels, or will I need to use a reel with a different spool design to eliminate the tangle?

Thanks.

olamagic
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Persistent problem with braid in spinning tackle

Post by olamagic » Thu May 12, 2011 4:51 am

Sounds like you need to update those penn reels , I have never had the problem you are having . :shock:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri May 13, 2011 1:17 am

Braid and Spinning reels (especially older ones) just don't mix well from my experience. I haven't used a spinning combo with braid for about 7yrs now. The current spinning reels should be designed to better handle braid. I don't know if switching braid lines will help you as well and I am guessing your bail line guide is the problem. Due to older and poor designs, you are better off probably getting a new reel. Even my $100 Shimano reels from 10yrs ago exhibited this problem. Then again, it may just be me. I have gotten rid of all my old reels and I only have 3 spinning reels which were purchased within the last 2yrs.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 am

Braids are not created equal. Try Fireline on one of your Penn reels and see if it behaves better. If it doesn't spool the Fireline on a new reel.

oe

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 am

You have to examine the entire system, as sometimes it's the combination of things.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:49 pm

I think that your problem is the older reel probably has a bushing or bad bearing on the line roller. It is also possible that the oscillation is off and possibly doesn't wrap the line tight enough. I agree that maybe it is time to upgrade your reels. No disrespect intended. I too have a few reels that I wish would last forever but they are just getting too old.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 am

I have used many different braids, including Power Pro and Suffix and have never experienced or heard of this issue. My guess is also the reel.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 am

Very interesting. Thanks.

This is a new reel, just the older design that's long been proven. I tried some 14# FireLine on it and it casts better than before, but there are signs of the line not winding tightly on the spool. Since I was using a relatively heavy bottom fishing rig that has a lot of resistance when reeling in, I take this as a bad sign that the reel design may not be well suited to braid. It's a Penn 4400SSg. I have never had this problem with my Abu reel, and I have fished much lighter baits with it.