Berkley NanoFil

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Berkley NanoFil

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Still waiting for an answer to the million dollar question...Does this line sink or float??

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Here is a link to a video with some more info on this line

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/video_po ... Id=1239930

If the link does not work then look up Nanofill at Cabelas.com and view the video attached.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Apparently others who have tried it said it floats. I would have guessed 'sinking' but am wrong apparently.

UL

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:59 am

I was given a spool of 10lb test NanoFil a few days ago and while a few hours of using the line doesn't warrant an honest review I'll offer my INITIAL impressions because they differ with some that have been written previously in this thread. The line has a feel more like mono than any other braid I've seen, very round and very, very slick. It was difficult for me to spool it on my spinning reel as tightly as I like by running it through my fingers. Sufix 832 has a similar smooth, slick surface but NanoFil has a more "mono-like" feel than the 832. I've never been concerned about the noise of braid going through rod guides, but this line is absolutely silent.

I've read that knots may be more prone to slip with NanoFil and doubling the line was recommended. I tied light jigheads with a regular palomar knot leaving my usual 3/8" tag end and it was solid. I also attached an 8lb test fluoro leader with a 5 wrap up and 5 wrap down regular Alberto knot (again leaving 3/8" tag on the NanoFil line) and I couldn't get it slip at all. I've never had braid knots slip on me before and I'm not expecting knots to slip using this line either... more time on the water will support or disprove my confidence.

I fished a shallow boulder reef using a light jighead/grub bait tied directly to the NanoFil. Fished that reef for several hours boating 2 dozen+ smallies in the 14" to 17" size range. I played with the smallies in the boulders before boating them and could feel the line rub the boulders. I used the same jighead and never retied the entire evening and couldn't detect any abrasion when I quit fishing.

The line was hard for me to see while fishing, but I admit to aging eyes and use hi-vis lines when possible. I was able to feel several bites while the line was limp. I've felt limp line bites with fluoro but not braids before. Casting distance with light weight jig/grubs was obviously longer than with my usual 10lb Fireline. More interesting to me was ease of effort to achieve the longer distance.

NanoFil floats on the water as Fireline and most other braids.

I wouldn't recommend any line on the basis of such limited use, but I am finding it encouraging for light duty spinning applications. Wish they made a hi-vis yellow/green.

oe

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 am

I got back out on water Sunday mid-day to spend a little more time with the 10lb Nanofil. I was particularly interested to see how it behaved in a twisting situation. My long-time staple, Fireline, handles twisting in-line spinners very well... so... I tied on a Blue Fox #3 in-line spinner and spent an hour fishing the previously mentioned boulder reef. Not nearly as many willing biters this time out but did give the line plenty of time to twist into a knot if it was going to. I remain impressed with the distance a light bait will cast but observed something I found interesting. 6' to 8' of the line flattened into a ribbon-like cross section and permanently twisted. Closely inspected, it looked like a helix and was rougher feeling. It remained very slick and the twisting didn't seem to affect the casting nor did it untwist when the lure was left to dangle. The line beyond the first 8' remained round.

On a different observation... the NanoFil doesn't hold a marker color as well as other braided lines I've fished.

oe

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:02 am

I'm not gonna bother reposting what I wrote as it got erased as I posted.
But the skinny of it is.

Don't bother using floro via a line to line splice...The strongest join oddly enough was a slim beauty. Not known as a strong knot. And even still it was weak and easily broken with bare hands.

As far as copoly line to line joins. The 10 turn single uni (nanofil) to single 5 turn uni held pretty well. The recommended double albright sucked. As well as the alberto.

Original fireline was much stronger and knotted much easier and more consistantly.

The only advantage is that is it smoother/slicker. Original fireline is thinner once ABS/KBS are factored in much thinnner.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 am

I just ordered a spool of 10lb Sufix 832 to try along side of the 10lb NanoFil on a couple of spinning reels. Is there anyone who has already done this comparison who wishes to share their impressions?

oe

Team9nine
Angler
Angler

Post by Team9nine » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:02 am

Bassmar wrote:Still waiting for an answer to the million dollar question...Does this line sink or float??
The line floats. I put a 3" piece of NanoFil along with a 3" piece of Fireline in a clear tub of water and used a small tool to repeatedly push both pieces below the waters surface. In every case, both pieces would return to the top of the water. Same on a cast where after your bait hits bottom and the line relaxes, the NanoFil lays on top just like other superlines.
OkibojiEagle wrote:I was given a spool of 10lb test NanoFil a few days ago and while a few hours of using the line doesn't warrant an honest review I'll offer my INITIAL impressions because they differ with some that have been written previously in this thread. The line has a feel more like mono than any other braid I've seen, very round and very, very slick. It was difficult for me to spool it on my spinning reel as tightly as I like by running it through my fingers. Sufix 832 has a similar smooth, slick surface but NanoFil has a more "mono-like" feel than the 832. I've never been concerned about the noise of braid going through rod guides, but this line is absolutely silent.

I've read that knots may be more prone to slip with NanoFil and doubling the line was recommended. I tied light jigheads with a regular palomar knot leaving my usual 3/8" tag end and it was solid. I also attached an 8lb test fluoro leader with a 5 wrap up and 5 wrap down regular Alberto knot (again leaving 3/8" tag on the NanoFil line) and I couldn't get it slip at all. I've never had braid knots slip on me before and I'm not expecting knots to slip using this line either... more time on the water will support or disprove my confidence.

I fished a shallow boulder reef using a light jighead/grub bait tied directly to the NanoFil. Fished that reef for several hours boating 2 dozen+ smallies in the 14" to 17" size range. I played with the smallies in the boulders before boating them and could feel the line rub the boulders. I used the same jighead and never retied the entire evening and couldn't detect any abrasion when I quit fishing.

The line was hard for me to see while fishing, but I admit to aging eyes and use hi-vis lines when possible. I was able to feel several bites while the line was limp. I've felt limp line bites with fluoro but not braids before. Casting distance with light weight jig/grubs was obviously longer than with my usual 10lb Fireline. More interesting to me was ease of effort to achieve the longer distance.

NanoFil floats on the water as Fireline and most other braids.

I wouldn't recommend any line on the basis of such limited use, but I am finding it encouraging for light duty spinning applications. Wish they made a hi-vis yellow/green.

oe

As for everything else, I pretty much "ditto" most everything OkobojiEagle has posted. I've been testing the 4# version of the line and have had nearly the exact same results as he. I'm seeing some interesting differences between different people posting relative to leaders and leader knots though. With the 4# line, and using a 6# Toray floro leader, I've found the J-knot and the double line Albright to be the best in my testing. Alberto and Seaguar knot were "OK"; Uni-Uni (5-6 wraps each) and triple Surgeons both stunk.

As for direct line tying, The double Palomar they recommend is good, but I think the double line 5 turn uni is better. In any case, I get a much stronger overall package using the leader than not. In other words, with the 4# Nano/6# floro combo and a good knot, I'm getting ~2# - 3# pound better overall breaking strength than if I just tie direct to the NanoFil. Might be an anomaly of the lighter pound line I'm testing versus the 8-10# stuff - not certain since I haven't tried other pound test ratings yet. Regardless, I've been going leaderless for crappie with the 4#, while using the leader for bass and not having any problems as such. Previous to this setup I broke a few fish off (bass) when originally testing. Seems like the overall breaking strength of just the straight line is about 2x that of the line with a knot tied in it (at the bait).

-T9

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:46 am

with the 8lb nano I was able to deadlift 9lbs 5oz before breakage using a 9 turn single uni. the double polomar had a range highest being 7.5s lowest being 6 even. Alot has to do with any twist in the loop. Which with very light wirery vs springy line is not easy keeping track as to wheter its straight or not. .

Oddly the single 9 turn uni outperformed the double uni which in my opinion is the best braid knot out as far as consistancy and durability with braid. The double 6 turn uni broke at 7 lbs 1 oz 3 out of 4 attempts.

All knots tied to a 175lb Tactical anglers clip. Increased at 4oz increments attached to a one oz tare.

Knot done yet. As I'll try different knots and I'll try different line to line joins. A half assed attempt broke at a little over 6lbs using a alberto and 6lb suffix elite (9lbs kbs)

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:46 pm

bassfan81
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bassfan81 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 am

Just use the new nanofi; line for wacky style set up was 7ft st.croix truimph med. and pflueger supreme xt spinning reel ( gold color ) with 10lb trilene nanofil , 1/0 Gamakastu wicked wacky and 5" strike king zero with a Strictly Bass Wacky Keepers . Caught 3 bass . The line is great and awesome with sensetive bites , By reading this post i saw alot of people ask for different colors and I agree . Don't get me wrong i like the clear mist for sight fishing but i am noticing the line get a little dirty but I really don't mind it kind of helps hinding it from the bass . The line does cast far and I had fun testing it . I have the 150yd spool and going to buy the 300yd spool soon reel like it and can't wait to try it out with shaky head jigging also the knot strength is good really like that don't have to put superglue on knots . Hoping one of the new colors is low vis green and tracer yellow or flame green . These colors with help me with the sight fishing . Also Marc will the new colors be release at icast next week ?

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 am

fished the 12# all weekend tossed trigs, small swimbaits(lil dippers) *fish pretty much hooked them selfs* and even 1/8 oz buzz bait the line did perform well no memory what so ever, tried several differnet knots, only issue i had was with the improved clinch the knot bunched up everytime i tried to cinch it and it just didnt look right, fished it anyways and broke off twice at the knot..went back to the double palomar and had no issues the rest of the weekend. The line is pretty much as advertised, zero memory, ultra thin *so thin that it took a little adjusting when casting, had it slip off my finger a few times mid cast* brought in a nice 4.5lber dragged it through the weeds and brought him in w no problems what so ever, i always had trouble w fireline frayings and somtimes just being totally unmanagable in the wind so i was hesitant to try the nanofil, i am defiently impressed i ran the line through rocks and wood trying to knick it up and make it fray and it stoop up to my testing..feeling bites on slack line when tossing a wacky rig was a treat, i had PP spooled up before and i would notice the line move before i felt anything, with the nanofil it was vice versa its def found a place on my finesse rods..
You must unlearn what you have learned

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:40 am

Has anybody been using 10lb or 12lb Nanofil on a light duty baitcaster? I'd like your impressions.

oe

LilJakeC
Angler
Angler

Post by LilJakeC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:36 am

Fish2Live wrote:
OkobojiEagle wrote:Marc... A disappointment I've had with original Fireline in tests <10lb is weak shock strength. I assume that may be why Fireline is labeled at nearly 1/2 of its actual break strength. Since NanoFil is marketed as an ultra thin diameter line, has it's shock strength proven to be significantly improved over original Fireline?

80 largmouth and no smallies sounds like you may have spent the day in Hayward's Bay. I hope you vowed your magazine writers to secrecy about what lake they were fishing! :lol:
oe

We were actually back in a canal, it was great. Back by a bridge and the fallen tree...not sure exact location. (Marc from Berkley)
Is it the canal by Emersons Bay by the Lake Okoboji Campsite? It sure sounds like it

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Sounds like awesome line. Super tough, and long casting by the sound of it. Sounds like awesome line for river smallies! ;)