Berkley NanoFil

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Berkley NanoFil

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:59 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:If you are backlash or overrun prone. The line's strength would be drastically compromised after picking it out.
Much worse than what happens to braid.
I don't know if there is any credibility to these thoughts but: Would the strengths of NanoFil (slipperiness) be less important on a baitcasting rod/reel where the line path from reel to rod tip is more direct than a spinning rod/reel where the stripper guide must gather large coils of line?

oe

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:16 am

One thing I would like to add (this is just using the line once so far though) is to avoid zebra mussels with this line, I noticed while fishing it that if it was in around zebra mussels, the line would fray and a couple times I had snagged lures (on rocks) snap off really easily.

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Lost a crankbait because the line went over a zebra mussel-covered rock :x

Madison320
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Madison320 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 am

I've been using the #8 nanofil with #10 fluoro leader. I've been trying all sorts of knots to see what works best. The combination of the slick, thin nanofil combined with slick fluoro is a real knot challenge. So far my best knot for line to line is doubling the nanofil and tying an alberto knot with about 8 wraps out and 6 back. For the fluoro leader I'm using a loop knot called the no slip loop knot. All the normal line to lure knots were failing on me with the fluoro. The loop knot hasn't broken yet.

Overall I really like this line and it's replacing my #6 fireline on my spinning reel. Personally I wouldn't want to go much thinner, it's too hard to handle.

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 pm

http://www.wired2fish.com/FeaturedProdu ... une%202011

Might be old news, but W2F did an awesome minni review, on this stuff. Really good read for anyone interested.

Madison320
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Madison320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:16 am

The Alberto Knot is "not" working for me. I don't like the way the tag end of the fluoro sticks out, it catches the guides and line on the reel. If I try to trim it too close it eventually unravels and fails. In desperation I tried the J knot last night on the water. I had tried to tie it several times previously but gave up. This time I made the loop bigger and was able to tie it on the water. Very strong compact knot and goes great thru the guides. I fished for 2 hours, only landed one but had a few fish on. It never failed and when I got home I tested the knot and it was still strong, in fact I gave up trying to break it. The only issue with this knot is that it's tough for me to tie. It looks easy but for me it's not. Has anyone seen a video on how to tie the J knot? I'd like to see if there are some tricks to make it easier.

By the way I'm usiong #8 nanofil with #10 fluoro leader.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:21 am

Was playin with this line at bps yesterday and it looks and feels great. Very smooth and seems very strong.

Feels and looks like high quality braid then anything else. Might have to give it a try. I currently use 15lb 832 or samurai.
Let's go fishing!!!

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:24 am

I tried some 12# on a baitcaster for jig. Casts well, very sensitive. Didn't experience any line digs, but didn't use it very long. Extremely coily, which I cannot stand as I'm a line watcher. Took it off and went back to Samurai.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Madison320 wrote:The Alberto Knot is "not" working for me. I don't like the way the tag end of the fluoro sticks out, it catches the guides and line on the reel. If I try to trim it too close it eventually unravels and fails. In desperation I tried the J knot last night on the water. I had tried to tie it several times previously but gave up. This time I made the loop bigger and was able to tie it on the water. Very strong compact knot and goes great thru the guides. I fished for 2 hours, only landed one but had a few fish on. It never failed and when I got home I tested the knot and it was still strong, in fact I gave up trying to break it. The only issue with this knot is that it's tough for me to tie. It looks easy but for me it's not. Has anyone seen a video on how to tie the J knot? I'd like to see if there are some tricks to make it easier.

By the way I'm usiong #8 nanofil with #10 fluoro leader.

If the alberto know comes undone from trimming the leader's tag. The knot is not tied properly. Regardless I don't like the alberto knot for that line.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 am

the line is very sensitive more so than the suffix PB i had on. Got the 10lb and it casts like a rocket, tied a 8lb FC leader w/ an albright special no problems handling any bass or any break offs.

The line does coil easily but it did not affect casting distance, sprayed some KVD Line conditioner when i spooled up. Looking forward to fishing it the rest of the season.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

shlock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by shlock » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Its going for 19.99 at Dick,s SG. It floats and feels like floss .

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 am

My observations are like everyone else's - super slick. I have yet to try it, and I am on the fence whether or not Nanofil goes the same route as Ironsilk or Vanish or is here to stay.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:37 am

I've been using the 12lb Nanofil, with no leader, and have had ZERO issues with knot strength thus far. I've just been using a simple improved clinch knot with about 10-15 twists and have yet to lose a fish. Been using it all month fishing for stripers and wipers/hybrids so I know I'm putting the line through the ringer. The resevoir I'm fishing also has a lot of sharp rocks covered in zebra mussels; again...ZERO issues with fraying line or anything of that sort. Been fishing jighead/grub combos and a few shallow crankbaits in 1-5 ft of water so I'm constantly ticking the bottom and the line has not snapped one time. Biggest catch so far was a 24" wiper that about broke my arm it hit so hard, the knot held up really well and line showed no signs of stretch during the wild ride.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 am

I didn't go though all 87 posts in this thread but it seems like it has a lot of memory and comes off the spool very 'coily' not sure that actually affects anything or if I spoiled it on wrong. I have it spooled on a ci4 3000 and am using 12#.
Instagram @___bradb

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:07 am

May i know if this line after long use(which i think long enough now), will result in 'hair' growth which fibers sticks out like in braided or fuse(fireline original)

thanks