Berkley NanoFil

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Berkley NanoFil

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 pm

that explains alot there ryan :lol: :lol: jk
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue May 31, 2011 3:06 pm

l2yan wrote:Well call me a dumbsh!t, but I remember sprinting right through a 3-wire electric fence when I was a kid :lol: I must've saw right through it... ran into it, flipped over it tangled in all three wires getting shocked to @#!*% :lol:
:-k You just gave me an idea for a new fishing line. :-k

:lol: :lol:

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:07 am

l2yan wrote:Well call me a dumbsh!t, but I remember sprinting right through a 3-wire electric fence when I was a kid :lol: I must've saw right through it... ran into it, flipped over it tangled in all three wires getting shocked to hell :lol:
Bet ya only did that one time though.....Funny how things like that work out.

Fish2Live
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish2Live » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 am

Bronzeye wrote:
tywithay wrote:"Out of the water it is clear and opaque"

These two adjectives are at entirely different ends of the spectrum; so which is it? Line just looks white to me....
Agreed. If that wasn't ad libbing by Pennaz, but Berkley's lingo, then Berkley seems to be continuing to bastardize language to try to make "crystal" and "clear"--and next, I suppose, "crystal clear"--mean opaque white.
In the Video Steve says "On the reel, NANOFIL looks more white than translucent, but off the spool it looks more clear than opaque. (Marc from Berkley)

Fish2Live
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish2Live » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:36 am

Tokugawa wrote:1. I don't think it is clear. It's Dyneema - it ain't clear.
2. Uni...mono...What is the difference?! Extruded vs fused? Come one now...
3. "50% casting distance increase over monos of equivalent breaking strength"...of course...its Dyneema. I'm pretty sure equivalent diameters will cast the same. :roll:

Marketing fluff... :roll: :roll:
Hey Toku, I work for Berkley and would love to help answer your comments/concerns.
1. It is a Clear Mist color. The Dyneema is made in nanofilaments which makes it more of a transparent color than other superlines.
2. It is a whole new category of fishing line and a patented technology called Unified Filament Technology. Without divulging too much, basically, the Dyneema fibers in the nanofilaments are molecularly linked and unified which is how they get their remarkably small size while retaining the strength that Dyneema is known for and it's our shaping/coating/etc. that makes it a Uni-Filament Fishing Line.
3. Up to 50% farther than Mono of same strength. We made this line smaller to let you go lighter and cast farther while still having confidence. Would you rather fish with a 4lbtest or a 12lb test if the diameters were the same? Also, not mentioned in the video is 10-11% increase over other braided superlines and even equivalent mono with same diameter.
This line is truly remarkable, and it is hard to communicate every benefit when we are showcasing a new product. In fact this line has already won the Masters Walleye Championship last year, and attributes it completely on the use of NanoFil to cast farther and get his crankbaits to their running depth faster, but Johnnie Candle couldn't tell anyone what he was using yet.(Marc from Berkley)
Last edited by Fish2Live on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:01 am

Fish2Live wrote:
3. "50% casting distance increase over monos of equivalent breaking strength"...of course...its Dyneema. I'm pretty sure equivalent diameters will cast the same. :roll:

Hey Toku, I work for Berkley and would love to help answer your comments/concerns.
1. It is a Clear Mist color. The Dyneema is made in nanofilaments which makes it more of a transparent color than other superlines.
2. It is a whole new category of fishing line and a patented technology called Unified Filament Technology. Without divulging too much, basically, the Dyneema fibers in the nanofilaments are molecularly linked and unified which is how they get their remarkably small size while retaining the strength that Dyneema is known for and it's our shaping/coating/etc. that makes it a Uni-Filament Fishing Line.
3. Up to 50% farther than Mono of same strength. We made this line smaller to let you go lighter and cast farther while still having confidence. Would you rather fish with a 4lbtest or a 12lb test if the diameters were the same? Also, not mentioned in the video is 10-11% increase over other braided superlines and even equivalent mono with same diameter.
This line is truly remarkable, and it is hard to communicate every benefit when we are showcasing a new product. In fact this line has already won the Masters Walleye Championship last year, and attributes it completely on the use of NanoFil to cast farther and get his crankbaits to their running depth faster, but Johnnie Candle couldn't tell anyone what he was using yet.
Thanks for responding.

1. It is clear - or mist? They are not the same. Clear is not misty. Misty is not clear. Do you have a good picture you can show? That might help "clear" things up.
2. If it is patented, then it is public domain. Please post the patent app or patent number so I can review exactly what the claims are.
3. The only relevant (apples to apples) claim is "10-11% increase over other braided superlines and even equivalent mono with the same diameter". All superlines are not made the same...so which lines did Berkley compare to? Berkley superlines? Or Sufix and Samurai braid?

I'm skeptical of all pro staffer claims...and I'm sure you can understand why. ;)

Fish2Live
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish2Live » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:22 am

Tokugawa wrote:
Fish2Live wrote:

This line is truly remarkable, and it is hard to communicate every benefit when we are showcasing a new product. In fact this line has already won the Masters Walleye Championship last year, and attributes it completely on the use of NanoFil to cast farther and get his crankbaits to their running depth faster, but Johnnie Candle couldn't tell anyone what he was using yet.
Thanks for responding.

1. It is clear - or mist? They are not the same. Clear is not misty. Misty is not clear. Do you have a good picture you can show? That might help "clear" things up.
2. If it is patented, then it is public domain. Please post the patent app or patent number so I can review exactly what the claims are.
3. The only relevant (apples to apples) claim is "10-11% increase over other braided superlines and even equivalent mono with the same diameter". All superlines are not made the same...so which lines did Berkley compare to? Berkley superlines? Or Sufix and Samurai braid?

I'm skeptical of all pro staffer claims...and I'm sure you can understand why. ;)
1.It is a translucent line that if you magnify at 900X you can see the nanofilaments. I have a picture of it in my consumer brochure, I can send you one if you email your address to me at berkley-sm@purefishing.com
2. I would have to look into the patent, we did a lot of work on this product with Dyneema, so it may be something where it's a combination. If i find it, i will post it.
3. Lb. Test rating is a typical industry standard when it comes to comparing most lines. I have only met a few anglers in my lifetime that would use one lb test size for every single application. Our European markets rate on diameter and at the smaller sizes they are some of, if not, THE smallest lines available. In casting test, we tested vs. our own and competive lines, but we refrain from bashing our competitors, it is usually not a good idea to do that, so you won't see them listed anywhere.
I really appreciate your feedback, it helps us continue with educating our consumers on new products.
We will be doing some samples in July, please keep an eye out for our new Berkley Facebook page that is coming soon and sign up. (Marc from Berkley)
Last edited by Fish2Live on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:49 am

hey fish2live, it'd be great if you joined the manufacturer support forums here...having a rep onboard to answer questions and provide insight would be very helpful. i fish all the brands of rods, reels, and line but, because of bantam1's presence in the shimano subforum, i have a more favorable view of shimano/powerpro than the other rod/reel companies that are not represented.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:34 am

Fish2Live wrote:1.It is a translucent line that if you magnify at 900X you can see the nanofilaments. I have a picture of it in my consumer brochure, I can send you one if you email your address to me at berkley-sm@purefishing.com
I will send you an email. A typical nylon monofilament has polymer chains held together by covalent bonds...a FC monofilament is held together by a very strong, partially ionic bond between F and C. So when you say the nano strands are "molecularly linked and unified"...what does that mean??
Fish2Live wrote:2. I would have to look into the patent, we did a lot of work on this product with Dyneema, so it may be something where it's a combination. If i find it, i will post it.
I understand...it might take a bit of digging. I'll be looking for it...
Fish2Live wrote:3. Lb. Test rating is a typical industry standard when it comes to comparing most lines. I have only met a few anglers in my lifetime that would use one lb test size for every single application. Our European markets rate on diameter and at the smaller sizes they are some of, if not, THE smallest lines available. In casting test, we tested vs. our own and competive lines, but we refrain from bashing our competitors, it is usually not a good idea to do that, so you won't see them listed anywhere.
I can understand avoiding negative commentary about your competitors. Certain braids cast better than others. So, the 10-11% increase can be good, or neutral or even bad depending on the baseline product. As a consumer, you can understand why I am inquiring about what Berkley tested against. ;)

Lb. test rating is all over the map in the fishing industry. :lol: Some 12s break at 18...some 10s break at 9...you never really know by reading the box labels. :lol:
Fish2Live wrote:I really appreciate your feedback, it helps us continue with educating our consumers on new products.
We will be doing some samples in July, please keep an eye out for our new Berkley Facebook page that is coming soon and sign up.
I appreciate it too. It is always good to have folks like you around.

Not much of a FB guy...I hear there are a few testers on TT that can help. :laugh1:

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:40 am

I'm definitely interested in trying some 10 or 12lb test for drop shotting, especially as the weeds get thicker as summer goes full bloom. Having that extra break strength, plus low diameter, while not being as visible in the water as braid seems like it should do well for DSing.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:34 am

Marc from Berkley... when will you run a few spools of Nanofil through the flame green color pot? If my old eyes can't see it well in the glare of the water it won't find its way in my shopping cart. There are lots of line watchers in the aging demographic you sell fishing line to.

oe

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:01 am

Yes, flame green or that pink colour that the original Fireline comes out in, would be good.

Fish2Live
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish2Live » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:Marc from Berkley... when will you run a few spools of Nanofil through the flame green color pot? If my old eyes can't see it well in the glare of the water it won't find its way in my shopping cart. There are lots of line watchers in the aging demographic you sell fishing line to.

oe
All I can tell you is that we are working on "other" colors, our scientists are pretty excited about what they can do with this technology. I hope you understand I cannot divulge too much. This line does have nice visibility above water and disappears nicely under it and with the extreme sensitivity, you can feel bites before you even reel in slack, it's pretty cool. I was on West Lake Boji on Wednesday, and our boat caught over 80 largemouth, 3 pike a few crappie/sunfish/bluegill, it was an amazing day! Hopefully you were out on the water as well. Look for the photos from my boat to appear in Midwest Outdoors Magazine, and maybe some more tidbits of info on the line. (Marc from Berkley)
Last edited by Fish2Live on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish2Live
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish2Live » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:19 am

Tokugawa wrote:
Fish2Live wrote:1.It is a translucent line that if you magnify at 900X you can see the nanofilaments. I have a picture of it in my consumer brochure, I can send you one if you email your address to me at berkley-sm@purefishing.com
I will send you an email. A typical nylon monofilament has polymer chains held together by covalent bonds...a FC monofilament is held together by a very strong, partially ionic bond between F and C. So when you say the nano strands are "molecularly linked and unified"...what does that mean??
Fish2Live wrote:2. I would have to look into the patent, we did a lot of work on this product with Dyneema, so it may be something where it's a combination. If i find it, i will post it.
I understand...it might take a bit of digging. I'll be looking for it...
Fish2Live wrote:3. Lb. Test rating is a typical industry standard when it comes to comparing most lines. I have only met a few anglers in my lifetime that would use one lb test size for every single application. Our European markets rate on diameter and at the smaller sizes they are some of, if not, THE smallest lines available. In casting test, we tested vs. our own and competive lines, but we refrain from bashing our competitors, it is usually not a good idea to do that, so you won't see them listed anywhere.
I can understand avoiding negative commentary about your competitors. Certain braids cast better than others. So, the 10-11% increase can be good, or neutral or even bad depending on the baseline product. As a consumer, you can understand why I am inquiring about what Berkley tested against. ;)

Lb. test rating is all over the map in the fishing industry. :lol: Some 12s break at 18...some 10s break at 9...you never really know by reading the box labels. :lol:
Fish2Live wrote:I really appreciate your feedback, it helps us continue with educating our consumers on new products.
We will be doing some samples in July, please keep an eye out for our new Berkley Facebook page that is coming soon and sign up.
I appreciate it too. It is always good to have folks like you around.

Not much of a FB guy...I hear there are a few testers on TT that can help. :laugh1:
As far as nanofilaments, it is the process Dyneema uses for their fibers, I don't know how much more I am supposed to say about it. We did have a writer's summit where the top publications were there and heard the presentation, so maybe they will report more.
Lb test is fairly close to the rating on the package for NanoFil, the goal was to go as small as possible to allow anglers to get remarkable sensitivity and casting that is truly amazing to most who use it.

I only have 2lb and 4lb at my desk, but might be interested in your feedback if you are a trout or panfish angler. Email me at berkley-sm@purefishing.com (Marc from Berkley)
Last edited by Fish2Live on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fish2Live
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish2Live » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:47 am

21farms wrote:hey fish2live, it'd be great if you joined the manufacturer support forums here...having a rep onboard to answer questions and provide insight would be very helpful. i fish all the brands of rods, reels, and line but, because of bantam1's presence in the shimano subforum, i have a more favorable view of shimano/powerpro than the other rod/reel companies that are not represented.
Thanks, I will have to keep that in mind. I represent a few brands, so it's sometimes difficult to talk to all of them, but I am always happy to help answer questions.(Marc from Berkley)
Last edited by Fish2Live on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.