Berkley NanoFil

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BRONZEBACK29
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Berkley NanoFil

Post by BRONZEBACK29 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:33 pm

LIVE TO FISH-FISH TO LIVE

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Berkley NanoFil

Post by Tokugawa » Fri May 27, 2011 1:58 pm

1. I don't think it is clear. It's Dyneema - it ain't clear.
2. Uni...mono...What is the difference?! Extruded vs fused? Come one now...
3. "50% casting distance increase over monos of equivalent breaking strength"...of course...its Dyneema. I'm pretty sure equivalent diameters will cast the same. :roll:

Marketing fluff... :roll: :roll:

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Berkley may make some decent, well known monos for a very fair price and who knows with this one what to expect but my biggest gripe with berkley is the "berkley vanish" fluorocarbon. The only thing that vanishes when using this line is the fish on the end of it or your tackle...right to the bottom of the lake. I had so many problems with this garbage breaking on me and i couldnt figure it out for the life of me but i have seen others comment negatively on this line so i know it is not just me. Berkley should be embarrassed to sell this product and i will never let it go anywhere near my tackle ever again. i guess you get what you pay for.....cheap fluorocarbon is not something you can get away with....i learned this thanks to berkley and their vanish product. i know i am off topic here but i just wanted to take a chance to take a shot at this lousy berkley product. thx for bearing with me.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:46 am

I pretty much agree with Toku on this one. This is yet another one of Pure Fishing's excellent marketing to dumbass fishermen who shop at walmart for fishing supplies.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

MDisbrow
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MDisbrow » Sat May 28, 2011 10:07 am

I'm going to take a guess at it...I hated the original and would bet I wouldn't like this either.

Original fireline was kind of a flat ribbon of fused fibers. The dyneema fiber in this line appears to be of a smaller diameter, hence the "nano." Fuse those fibers in a round shape and you get this. Who knows how they achieve this "molecular bonding" of the fiber as they claim, I'm no chemist, but I am skeptical of this.

Without a solvent to dissolve, or heat to bond them...and if using either, wouldn't that affect the properties given to the raw fiber in being gel spun? Using a bonding agent wouldn't create what I would call a molecular bond.

I have always wondered what limits the size of these types of high modulus polyethylene fibers. For instance, rather than trying to "fuse" 100s of "nano" fibers together to make a "uni-filament" fishing line, why not draw a larger diameter fiber from the start? Maybe it's cost or technology, or maybe a solid .01" fiber is way too stiff. Just always been curious about that.

Sorry to get off topic and all technical about it.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun May 29, 2011 1:41 am

MDisbrow... I suspect using a larger quantity of smaller diameter fibers in a bundle will achieve a rounder and smoother bundle. Although I'm not convinced that "rounder" and "smoother" catches more fish, it does seem to be what all the chatter on these forums is about.

oe

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Interesting for sure. I will most likely buy at least one spool. Not sure if it is going to be that much better. Nano tech seems like a lot of hype.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon May 30, 2011 4:32 am

"Out of the water it is clear and opaque"

These two adjectives are at entirely different ends of the spectrum; so which is it? Line just looks white to me....

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 am

tywithay wrote:"Out of the water it is clear and opaque"

These two adjectives are at entirely different ends of the spectrum; so which is it? Line just looks white to me....
Agreed. If that wasn't ad libbing by Pennaz, but Berkley's lingo, then Berkley seems to be continuing to bastardize language to try to make "crystal" and "clear"--and next, I suppose, "crystal clear"--mean opaque white.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon May 30, 2011 8:41 am

When I look through a screen door I don't see the screen, only what's beyond. I'd guess that if the line were thin enough bass wouldn't notice it but only what was beyond as the screen door. This is probably true for virtually every line... diameter is a key ingredient in visibility.
oe

MDisbrow
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MDisbrow » Mon May 30, 2011 2:07 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:MDisbrow... I suspect using a larger quantity of smaller diameter fibers in a bundle will achieve a rounder and smoother bundle.

oe
Yes there's no doubt about that. I'm curious about how they actually have bonded these fibers together.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue May 31, 2011 6:40 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:When I look through a screen door I don't see the screen, only what's beyond. I'd guess that if the line were thin enough bass wouldn't notice it but only what was beyond as the screen door. This is probably true for virtually every line... diameter is a key ingredient in visibility.
oe
And how many screen doors have you walked through? You might see through it, but you still know it's there.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue May 31, 2011 11:07 am

cst wrote:And how many screen doors have you walked through?
More than a couple in my first 55 years. I'm beginning to understand that the door frame may be part of the equation.

oe

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 pm

Well call me a dumbsh!t, but I remember sprinting right through a 3-wire electric fence when I was a kid :lol: I must've saw right through it... ran into it, flipped over it tangled in all three wires getting shocked to hell :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org