Vicious Pro Elite fluorocarbon.

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Vicious Pro Elite fluorocarbon.

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried it and has any feedback. Im looking to try some moderately priced fluoro's and was gonna give this a try. Thanks....

Pudd.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Vicious Pro Elite fluorocarbon.

Post by Steve Williams » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I tried the 10lb .012" diameter pro elite this past weekend...and i am respooling before my next tournament. i broke off a LOT and it cost me a win. I got paranoid so after the fish I did catch, I would pull on the line and almost every 2nd or 3rd time it broke about 1' up from my knot. I was very unhappy. if you use it, i would test it before fishing a tournament.

I was fishing a 5/16oz baby j jig in 30+ feet of water on a DX742C so my rod was not too stout for that line and my hook was a light wire hook. I tried the san diego jam knot, palomar but it seemed like i was never breaking at the knot.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:46 am

Steve Williams wrote:I tried the 10lb .012" diameter pro elite this past weekend...and i am respooling before my next tournament. i broke off a LOT and it cost me a win. I got paranoid so after the fish I did catch, I would pull on the line and almost every 2nd or 3rd time it broke about 1' up from my knot. I was very unhappy. if you use it, i would test it before fishing a tournament.

I was fishing a 5/16oz baby j jig in 30+ feet of water on a DX742C so my rod was not too stout for that line and my hook was a light wire hook. I tried the san diego jam knot, palomar but it seemed like i was never breaking at the knot.
I wonder if you purchased a bad spool or have a nick in one of your guides. I have been using it for a few weeks now and have had no problems with it. I feel like it is a pretty supple fluoro and has decent abrasion resistance. I haven't caught any pigs yet but I have caught quite a few in the 2-3lb range. In fact, I was at a farm pond the other day and was using up some of the crappy hooks I still had left with some older plastics and after a few fish in some trees I noticed I was getting nicked up about 4 inches above the hook. I hooked and landed another 4 fish all in the 2lb range and had no issues. My own insecurity from past experiences with fluorocarbons caused me to re-tie. My equipment was Kistler Helium LTA 6'9MH paired with a Daiwa Viento.

I personally think you should give it a try. Is it the best probably not but so far so good for me. I currently use Trilene 100% 15lb, McCoy Fluoro 15lb, Cabela's No-Vis 12lb, Gamma Fluoro 12lb, Vicious Original 10lb Vanish and Vanish Trans in 8lb, and now Vicious Pro Elite 10lb.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, im still on the fence about the line though. I really do not want to fish with any insecurities.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:28 am

Steve I would check your guides and see if there is an issue there. May be you got a bad spool.

I have been fishing it and really like it. I wash fishing 4lb around rocks at Castaic this weekend and never had a problem. I was fishing around rock so I usually retie. I caught a lot of fish and never broke one off. I was also throwing 6lb on a shakey head and never had a problem.

It is definitely a lot more limp then the original floro they make. I would never fish the OG stuff on a spinning reel but was more than happy with the Elite.

For the price you can try it and see what you think.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 pm

big_gee wrote:Steve I would check your guides and see if there is an issue there. May be you got a bad spool.

I have been fishing it and really like it. I wash fishing 4lb around rocks at Castaic this weekend and never had a problem. I was fishing around rock so I usually retie. I caught a lot of fish and never broke one off. I was also throwing 6lb on a shakey head and never had a problem.
My guides aren't the problem...I checked them as that was my first thought to. My drag was also not "catching" as it is very smooth, xtreme smoothy's on it and slips steadily and was no where near locked down. The line is extremely limp and supple and cast great, but abrasion resistance was not that great to me. I am one of the guys that never had a problem with the original line and thought it was very good for the money so I don't have anything against the company, I just had a bad experience I guess. I have a spool of 14lb pro elite as well but have not fished it except as a shaky head leader with the magnum spot removers. I have not had any problem with it.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for the useful info again guy's. I am scared to tell you the truth, it seems to put me on the border of just not dealing with it. I used the old stuff in the past and if it was clear and golden it was 100% perfect. If it was milky and rough you were pretty much screwed. The original vicious now is all that milky stuff. Its terrible in all facets. This pro elite looks super nice and smooth but once again, is it worth it?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:58 am

Got it Steve. We all have different experiences.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

I got a little more time in with the 14lb pro elite. abrasion resistance is much better than the 10lb, but the line diameter is .014 so it should better. still casts and handles very well. it is a LOT like seaguar invisx only cheaper.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Im lookin for a 10lb and 12lb line. maybe ill try the 12lb elite then.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 am

I have been using the new elite vicous line all year and have caught a couple of 5 + fish on the 15lb with the drag tightened all the way. As soon as I hooked up I was able to winch them into the boat no problem. I have only broke off once and it was because I caught a pike and forgot to check the line.