Proper Spooling

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Proper Spooling

Post by joeim8 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm

Hey guys,

I am looking for some tips on how to properly spool up my reels with new line.

I use to just use my berkley spool station to spool up all of my reels however I have learned this may not be the best way ecspecially for spinning reels.

Spinning reels - Ok so I get now that you want the line coming off the line spool and going on to your reel in the same direction correct?
How do you put tension on the line in this case?
Is it really ok to just pinch FC line between your fingers to apply tension during the entire spool?
Any tips/tricks?

Casting reels- Does the same apply as far as direction?
Can or should my spool station be ok for casting reels?

Also what knot is prefered for line to reel spool connection?

Thanks guys.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Proper Spooling

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:24 pm

I haven't used a Berkley line station, but I imagine it would be fine for baitcasting reels.

Could be for spinning reels, too. Daiwa, after it added Twistbuster to its spinning reels, recommended spooling reels the same way one spools baitcasters, with the supply spool turning and the line coming off its side. This should put one twist in the line for each trip the bail arm makes around the spool, but in theory the line should lose the twist as it comes off the spool in the cast.

There is no way to put line on a spinning reel that will not result in the line's either getting twisted on the way onto the spool or twisting on the way off during a cast. To understand this, wrap a flat ribbon around a coffee can and transfer it any way you want to a smaller-diameter cylinder. If you got it on without twist, watch it twist when you pull it off the end of the cylinder the way it leaves a spool when you cast.

I have always tied line to the spool using a slip knot that looks like a figure 8 around the standing line, with an overhand knot as a stopper in the tag. It gets the job done, but I can't say what would happen if a fish spooled you down to it.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:15 am

With braided lines the mono/fluoro tied to the reel arbor usually becomes the breaking point when you get spooled. Choose wisely and protect your hardware.

Charles

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:18 pm

I use the Berkley spooling station for casting and spinning reels and have no problems. I've been using it for 7 or 8 years.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 am

I'd say that the spooling station should be fine for any recent spinning reels. Shimano now recommends spooling their spinning reels just like you would spool any casting reel in their manuals. I do this and it seems to work very well for me.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:32 am

Excellent post by Bronzeye. There is a lot of misinformation on spooling reels, even from manufacturers, and especially regarding spinning reels. What he posted is the only complete and correct information, and should be a sticky at the top.