flippin and pitchin line?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

flippin and pitchin line?

Post by bassfishin14 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:35 pm

What line do you guys prefer for this technique? currently i have 65lb braid on my revo, and im waiting for my dobyns 765c.

i kindof want to try the heavy flourocarbon(20-25lb) but dont know which brand?

should i just stick with the braid for now?

my current lakes are known for big fish 7+ and i dont like taking chances so i want the best money can buy. my buddy has snapped off with both 50lb powerpro, and 70lb samurai braid. It kindof scares me to use the flouro but i know ill get more bites with it. So what brand and lb test should i use for this technique? ohh and im usally flippin and pitchin with 3/8,1/2 and occasionally a 3/4oz flipping jig plus trailer.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: flippin and pitchin line?

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Slack or semi-slack hooksets when flipping or pitching worms or jigs puts a tremendous amount of force on line and knots.

Braid has tremendous straight-strength, but there are a couple other types of strength, including knot, shock, and abrasion resistance. The problem with braid is that it has virtually no shock strength/stretch (same thing really). So, while the straight strength will compensate somewhat for the lack of shock strength, in the real world it's not much stronger than mono as far as not breaking off fish. The one big advantage braid has over mono/fluoro is the near-zero stretch sometimes allows you to move fish away from cover so they don't tangled in it.

I've tried fluoro but don't like it... it seems to have some problem with resiliency... Tackle Tour has suggested this in one of their tests. It's good the first day out, but seems to deteriorate very quickly and by day 2 or three, I was popping line on hooksets left and right. I guess if you can afford to change it out everyday, it might be good line. I'm sure the pros can afford to.

I still like mono. Trilene XT has a great combination of straight-strength, shock, and knot strength. P-line CXX and Stren Brute Strength are even stronger. The first two have high memory.

If you want abrasion resistance, Trilene Max is the highest abrasion resistance line I have tried/tested which still has good knot strength. It has moderate/moderate-low memory.

If you get birds-nests, the kinks it creates can severely weaken line... I would either change the line after a bird-nest if that's practical, or go with a high knot-strength line like BPS "Tight Line", or Stren Super Knot.

If you like to tie a palomar knot, Ande premium has the highest palomar knot strength.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm guessing that the water @ that lake is clear enough to warrant using fluoro or you wouldn't be considering it. If the water is stained, I'd suggest staying with straight braid. I've found that using heavy (20lb) fluoro as mainline was a PITA compared to braid. It just isn't as easy to handle & it will have memory. Those memory coils hamper bite detection & encourage slack line hooksets. I'd suggest staying with braid & adding a leader of 20lb fluoro joined to the braid with an Alberto Knot. I prefer Suffix Performance braid in 65lb but am transitioning over to Suffix 832. The Alberto is a compact & strong knot. Keep the leader somewhat short - if it is too long the knot will need to go in/out of the tiptop every pitch. I use 3.5' to 4'. Since you aren't using the fluoro as a mainline, you don't have to worry about memory or easy line handling. All you have to do is buy line that has good abrasion resistance & good knot strength. In other words, you don't have to buy the ultra premium fluoro. I've had good results using both Trilene 100% & Sunline Sniper.

Hope that helps.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Try some high grade 20 lb flouro like Toray, Sunline, etc and form your own opinion. In grass or dirty water I like braid with a 3 foot leader. In clear water and around rocks I like straight flouro. My 766 has 65 lb braid and my zbone 5 power 7'6" has 16 lb flouro. I use each accordingly. Why limit yourself when both have there advantages? Just my opinion.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:25 am

Wow breaking off 50 and 70lb. braid on hooksets. Are all these fisherman 300lb. football players. I'm a pretty big guy. Not Hulk Hogan but I can hold my own and I have never seen this done with a correctly tied knot.Maybe with some damage or a nick in the line. I have been fortunate to fish with alot of different fisherman of all skill levels and well........some pretty big dudes that will throw you overboard with their hookset if your not prepared. 17 or even 14lb suffix mono is rediculously hard to break hookset or caught on a snag. Not to mention the other lines that are mentioned here.I would suggest checking your knots and practice tying them over and over.Just my two cents.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 pm

suffix 832 in 40# for dirty water and for clear water just and a 15+# FC leader

bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassfishin14 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 pm

barrys wrote:Wow breaking off 50 and 70lb. braid on hooksets. Are all these fisherman 300lb. football players. I'm a pretty big guy. Not Hulk Hogan but I can hold my own and I have never seen this done with a correctly tied knot.Maybe with some damage or a nick in the line. I have been fortunate to fish with alot of different fisherman of all skill levels and well........some pretty big dudes that will throw you overboard with their hookset if your not prepared. 17 or even 14lb suffix mono is rediculously hard to break hookset or caught on a snag. Not to mention the other lines that are mentioned here.I would suggest checking your knots and practice tying them over and over.Just my two cents.
haha i know right! actually im only 18 and 6'4" but im skinny. and my buddy is smaller than me. I will admit that i tend to set the hook hard along with my buddy. Its just a reaction i guess. It could be a nick in the line or bad knot. But i can recall one time where my buddy just retied and the first cast he pitched out his texas rig and after a couple shakes and a drag he set the hook and faught it for a 5-10sec and boom his line snaps and there was a huge boil after. It could just be us. but i dont like taking chances haha

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Knot strength can be a big issue... a poor knot can weaken your line 50%. Even the popular palomar is not 100% strength (there are better knots).

Setting your drag so it gives a little at the beginning of the hookset can help also.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 pm

With the braid, it is most likely not a "bad" knot, but the wrong knot and you are getting slippage.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm

barrys wrote:Wow breaking off 50 and 70lb. braid on hooksets. Are all these fisherman 300lb. football players. I'm a pretty big guy. Not Hulk Hogan but I can hold my own and I have never seen this done with a correctly tied knot.Maybe with some damage or a nick in the line. I have been fortunate to fish with alot of different fisherman of all skill levels and well........some pretty big dudes that will throw you overboard with their hookset if your not prepared. 17 or even 14lb suffix mono is rediculously hard to break hookset or caught on a snag. Not to mention the other lines that are mentioned here.I would suggest checking your knots and practice tying them over and over.Just my two cents.
steve1206 wrote:With the braid, it is most likely not a "bad" knot, but the wrong knot and you are getting slippage.
I think Barry and Steve summed it up pretty good. I have flipped and pitched on a river near me and by chance have hooked into 20lbs - 40lbs Sturgeons. Never once in 10+ years have my Powerpro braids faileld me. Only time when braid fails me is when a Norther Pike snabs my lure/bait. I have lost soo many expensive crankbaits to these Pikes, I use steel leaders from my crankbaits to my line religiously now. Sandiego Knot with 20lbs Floro leader has always been what I used.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassfishin14 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:29 am

thanks guys for all these anwsers! im going to try the drag setting. and it could knot slippage, but i useally have a 3/4 tag end with either a double palomar when im lazy.(but checked and tied correctly, and plenty siliva and tightend slowly) or berkley braid knot.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:33 pm

flip with 65, meat sticks, and drags tightened down as far as they go.
I've broken rods
I've never broken the line.
I have set the hook on small bass and sent them over my shoulder
Never broken the line.
Suffix Performance, and now 832.
Set hard and set often