Stretch - Sunline Shooter vs. Sniper

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Stretch - Sunline Shooter vs. Sniper

Post by bassninja » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:41 am

I use Shooter and it's flat out awesome. The only downfall is that it's $35+ for a spool of 164 yards. I have yet to try Sniper, but it's price is more reasonable. My biggest concern for fluorocarbon lines is the amount of stretch it has. Shooter has low stretch and I was wondering if Sniper, or even Sunline Super FC have the same low stretch qualities as Shooter. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stretch - Sunline Shooter vs. Sniper

Post by bassninja » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 am

no one? Just trying to figure out if the regular Sunline Super FC or Sniper is a worthy replacement for the pricier Shooter.

stillapfg
Angler
Angler

Post by stillapfg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 am

In my opinion the sniper does have a little bit more stretch than the shooter, but the fact that you can now buy the sniper in bulk size spools makes it very tempting. Even though it's cheaper, I still consider the Sniper to be premium quality FC... I was in the same position not too long ago, went with a 660yd spool of sniper for under $50 after the labor day sale discount. If I went with the shooter, it would have been about 3x price for the same amount of line. I only use the "ultra premium" fc for my jig set ups. If you like Shooter, give Toray Superhard Upgrade a try too... It's got similar qualities in every way and I think it is even more abrasion resistant.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 am

Toray Super Hard Upgrade cost about the same as Shooter. I was actually trying to find a less expensive alternative to Sunline Shooter and was wondering if Sunline Super FC or Sniper was close. I was looking into Seaguar Invizx, but from what I've heard, that line has some stretch to it.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am

Here's a video about this exact thing. May or may not help.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:47 pm

invizx is the strechiest flouro i have ever used and now i dont use it at all. i replace dit with sniper its not as manageable as invizx, but strech is a lot less. as for my low strech flouro setups i have shooter, toray, dragoncall and darm setup. they are all pretty similiar so it is hard to tell which one is which some times.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:29 am

I don't have much experience with Shooter/Sniper (considering using them on a few specific setups) but have been very happy with the Sunline Super FC. There was an older thread about it here and it seemed to get positive reviews from everyone: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=33648

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:39 am

Since we are on the topic, you Sniper experts....I have heard that the SNiper has some issues in very cold weather..Any truth? Noticeable?

stillapfg
Angler
Angler

Post by stillapfg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:17 am

steve1206 wrote:Since we are on the topic, you Sniper experts....I have heard that the SNiper has some issues in very cold weather..Any truth? Noticeable?
Hi Steve,

I've fished the Sniper in the winters of STL all the way until it's completely iced over for the past few years, have not had an issue personally.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:13 am

I was on sunlines staff a few years ago and had bulk 600m spools of their line and it was some good stuff.
Shooters more dense then Fc sniper as sniper was a great finesse line..
I didn't have troubles with either, but I've heard they might have changed their formulation for sniper..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:33 pm

I am with you bassninja on trying to find the best priced and performing low stretch fluoro. I see that Seaguar Red Label is marketed as the lowest stretch Seaguar fluoro on the Seaguar website. I have tried InvisX, AbrazX, and Tatsu and I love the way they cast, but I find them all too stetchy for me. The level wind technology that Seaguar uses keeps the line smooth and dent free. Smooth line just handles better. The Red Label uses the same level wind technology and the price is downright cheap. I haven't seen too many people talk about Red Label, but I still want to try it because of the way the other Seaguar lines handle. It will be comical if I like it better than Tatsu or as well as Shooter. And to answer your question, the Sniper does seem to have more stetch and less abrasion resistance than the Shooter. Sniper handles pretty well, has good knot strength, and it is a good spinning line. But, when it kinks it seems like it folds over too severely and creates a weak spot.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 am

I guess it's Shooter all the way. But I might still try some Sniper.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 am

breezy wrote:I don't have much experience with Shooter/Sniper (considering using them on a few specific setups) but have been very happy with the Sunline Super FC. There was an older thread about it here and it seemed to get positive reviews from everyone: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=33648
Sunline Super FC is the same thing as Sunline sniper, correct?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 am

Nytron wrote:
breezy wrote:I don't have much experience with Shooter/Sniper (considering using them on a few specific setups) but have been very happy with the Sunline Super FC. There was an older thread about it here and it seemed to get positive reviews from everyone: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=33648
Sunline Super FC is the same thing as Sunline sniper, correct?
False...The Sniper does say Super FC SNiper, but not the same..but don't ask me the technical difference.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:27 am

Agree $35 for FC is pretty steep but when you think about quality it is well worth it. I have Shooter on almost all of my reels. I have all three Shooters. Clear, Metan Green and Invisible. Love them all!!! I've tried a few other FC's like P-Line, Seagaur and even Steez and I still prefer Shooter over these.

Love the low memory, diameter and it's not super limp. I'll say stick with Sunline. Gotta pay to play. :big grin:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!