L2L: Triple Surgeon's Knot

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

L2L: Triple Surgeon's Knot

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:34 am

Wondering what other's experience has been using the Surgeon's Knot to attach braid to mono/co-poli/floro. It's a simple fast connection to make which is specially nice during low light or night time. From reading online, it appears to be very strong and it was actually recommended to me by a fellow angler I met during one of my saltwater outings. Any thoughts or comments on strength, shock resistence and ability to slide through guides would be greatly appreciated.

I've used the Alberto knot and at the current moment feel its a very strong connection but looking for an easier option when visibility is at a premium. Will be using this mostly with 30-65 lb braid and floro leader from 15-30 depending on application. I don't buy floro main line and use it as leader material, I use actual floro leader and mostly Seaguar.

Thx in advance.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: L2L: Triple Surgeon's Knot

Post by cornmuse » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:34 pm

The surgeon's is a very useful knot that I use quite often. I really like it for joining a FC leader to a mono line (as with a fly fishing leader) or joining two pieces of mono that don't differ in diameter by more than .005". I also use this knot for joining mono to braid, especially in larger tests (20lb braid to a 15 or 20lb mono "shock tippet" for example).

I don't like the surgeon's knot for braid to FC - I find the braid will cut the FC. This is especially true in the 10/10 configuration I use on my spinning gear. For that app I like the Alberto.

YMMV

Joe C.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 pm

I use it in the winter a lot, because I can tie it with gloves on. The Alberto knot and back to back Uni knot are pretty well impossible with gloves on. I don't think it's as strong as the other two knots, but has worked fine for me for many years now.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 am

Thx for the replies. Do you guys find it a lot bulkier then the Alberto when going through the guides. Was going try it yesterday but we were feeling the affects of the latest Tropical system.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I've been using the Alberto on my braid to fluoro/mono connections for conventional fishing.

I had been using the Surgeons to make up leaders fly fishing for stripers. I use a 30lb butt section & a 20lb tippet. I've recently been playing with different lines & knots to make up the leaders. I actually have moved to the Alberto for my striper leaders. It is definitely a stronger connection. It also seems to be more compact.

Personally, I would worry about the braid to leader connection slipping using the Triple Surgeons.