Do you watch your line?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!

Do you watch your line for strikes or keep it tight for majority of your braid fishing?

Yes, bright colors rule!
50%
No
11%
Sometimes...
39%

Total votes: 28

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Do you watch your line?

Post by l2yan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:50 am

Curious since green braid is still so dominant and companies are still releasing "invisible" braids. I ALWAYS use a bright, hi-vis braid as a strike indicator, whether I need it or not. If I decide to go straight braid, then I just color the last few feet with a marker, but most of the time I have a leader anyways. I feel I have much better strike detection by watching the line, especially with lighter lures like small jigs and weightless plastics. The traditional moss green is very hard to see above the water.

Why go green? :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Do you watch your line?

Post by Nytron » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Yes, I always watch the line regardless of the line color, especially when using weightless lures where you need to feed slack to the lure in order to get the best action. This weekend I was fishing on a lake with little wind protection and was still able to detect more than half my bites by watching the line, despite the wind gusts. When you get a fish, your line will "tick" or pay out unusually fast and make a little wake in the water, usually happens on the initial fall and you will know you have a fish before your rod will ever tell you.

Whether it's clear thin fluoro or braid, if you fish plastics, you watch the line.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:49 am

I watch my green line ;)

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:12 am

Tokugawa wrote:I watch my green line ;)
Me too :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

dixie_cragger
Angler
Angler

Post by dixie_cragger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm

i do both :D

feel the thump with my index finger, watch the line and you konw what happens next...best feeling EVER.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:24 am

Depends... using softplastic i'll be watching my line most of the time while not much when cranking or jerkbaiting, and ofcos, look at the lure when topwatering(afterall tat explosion is one of the best moment to behold right :mrgreen: )

and yea, i watch my black, green, grey, red, yellow, white etc colour line no different, maybe my eye sight hasn't fail me yet :lol: touch wood

so i voted sometimes...

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:25 am

I voted sometimes. I use mostly flouro and watch it while the lure is sinking, especially with senkos, flukes, and texas rigs. And yes, I am aware that flouro sinks but it does lay on the surface for a short time.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:29 pm

I like to see my line in almost every scenario I can think of, but it's not quite as critical with some baits. I can get away with very visible lines in our stained water. In current you've got to know what that line's doing.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Tokugawa wrote:I watch my green line ;)
X3