Reel Magic

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
RAVEN87
Angler
Angler

Reel Magic

Post by RAVEN87 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 am

Has anyone used a product named Blackmore-Reel Magic, it comes in a 5oz. spray can. It claims to improve casting distance, reduce line memory, UV protection, extends line life and bla...bla...bla. I bought a can for around $6.00 at Wal-Mart, tried it on my line (Trilene XT #12) because it coils up really bad when it has slack in it, so I tried it and it didnt do squat for the coiling. On my reels with braided line it does seem to make the line alittle "slicker", so it might improve casting distance a bit, none I could notice :-k .
Sooo...I was wandering if anyone else has used this product, and what they think of it ???

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Magic

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:07 am

I am thinking this should be in the "Fishing Line" Section.

Regardless, I have not tried this "Reel Magic" but have tried various line sprays in the past. Nothing really works. There are those that swear it works. But to me it all comes down to fundamentals:

1) Premium Lines will always cast better and have less memory.
2) Type of Spool and Spool bearings. A cheap heavy spool and or cheap bearings will have impact on casting.
3) And most important of all a person's knowledge level of casting. Example: my buddy fishing with me has the same line (20lb Pline Copolymar Floro) and reel (Daiwa Type-R) with same type of rod (Zillion 6'9" MH XF) setup. I can cast farther than him by 5ft - 15ft. And I can cast lighter stuff that he can. Why? - His brakes are always on at 7-9 while I am on 5-4, I barely have tension on my reel while he has more, and finally....I thumb more than he does.

Line sprays perhaps may give you an extra 2ft-5ft casting distance, which is negligable at best and or perhaps prolongs the lines from deteriating over time. Seriously, how many of you use the same Mono/Floro line all year? I change my lines at least 4 times a year. IMO, Line Sprays are more marketing and hype than actual performance. All the big name Pro's use them and or if you ever seen Bill Dance's shows, he's always using something and then at the end of the show, promotes it. Just like all other pros, they are in it to make money and promote thier sponsors.

Just my opinion.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:15 am

I've got 3 cans and usually spray it on the night before to let it soak in..
Does it work, sure for a little while, but not all day as I apply throughout the day if needed..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:24 am

Works OK, but not as well as KVD Line & Lure conditioner. The KVD L &L works great on fluorocarbon- it really relaxes the line, especially if applied several hours before use.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:30 am

I used it all last season and I'm not convinced it does anything. I ended up using it to lube the strings/fretboard of my guitar before practice. For that application it's a winner :big grin:

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 am

I use the KVD stuff and it works great.
Let's go fishing!!!

RAVEN87
Angler
Angler

Post by RAVEN87 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:I am thinking this should be in the "Fishing Line" Section.

Regardless, I have not tried this "Reel Magic" but have tried various line sprays in the past. Nothing really works. There are those that swear it works. But to me it all comes down to fundamentals:

2) Type of Spool and Spool bearings. A cheap heavy spool and or cheap bearings will have impact on casting.
3) And most important of all a person's knowledge level of casting. Example: my buddy fishing with me has the same line (20lb Pline Copolymar Floro) and reel (Daiwa Type-R) with same type of rod (Zillion 6'9" MH XF) setup. I can cast farther than him by 5ft - 15ft. And I can cast lighter stuff that he can. Why? - His brakes are always on at 7-9 while I am on 5-4, I barely have tension on my reel while he has more, and finally....I thumb more than he does.

Line sprays perhaps may give you an extra 2ft-5ft casting distance, which is negligable at best and or perhaps prolongs the lines from deteriating over time. Seriously, how many of you use the same Mono/Floro line all year? I change my lines at least 4 times a year. IMO, Line Sprays are more marketing and hype than actual performance. All the big name Pro's use them and or if you ever seen Bill Dance's shows, he's always using something and then at the end of the show, promotes it. Just like all other pros, they are in it to make money and promote thier sponsors.

Just my opinion.
I totally agree with what you are saying. Quality lines, rods, and reels will always have the casting advantage, and knowing what you're doing helps that much more.

RAVEN87
Angler
Angler

Post by RAVEN87 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:I used it all last season and I'm not convinced it does anything. I ended up using it to lube the strings/fretboard of my guitar before practice. For that application it's a winner :big grin:
I play guitar also, but never thought of using it for that, for my guitar I use a product called "Fingerease", its a lube for the strings and conditions the fretboard, spray it on the back of the neck, polish it off and play away :-({|=
As for the Reel Magic, it does state on the can it has many uses, i'll have to try it on my cheap Jackson before I try it on my $2000.00 Schecter

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:44 am

The KVD stuff is great! i use it on mono, braid, and flourocarbon! :D
Fish on!

Capt Ray
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Capt Ray » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 pm

RAVEN87 wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:I am thinking this should be in the "Fishing Line" Section.

Just my opinion.
I totally agree with what you are saying. Quality lines, rods, and reels will always have the casting advantage, and knowing what you're doing helps that much more.

Yes and no...none of the above will remove or reduce inherent memory. Yes the higher quality line you use the less memory. Even the highest quality Fluoro (excluding JDM) will be somewhat stiff. I do use a line conditioner and it does help. The only real negitive I have found is it is messy, especially the first cast after application.

I am not saying the conditioner is necessary, it is not...but it does help.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:14 am

I always use KVD Line Cond. it is one piece of the total package of casting far, ABEC 7 bearings, Super Tune reel, KVD Line Cond. = 15ft more on a cast.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:10 am

I found myself replacing the lines I sprayed with Reel Magic. :doh:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 am

I haven't used Reel Magic, but I have and do use KVD Line and Lure Conditioner. The KVD stuff does work. It helps make the line slicker and prevents it from sticking and creating friction on the spool. It's also good to spray onto the guides as it reduces friction there as well. I understand that more expensive lines handle better, but just like with say Boca ABEC 7 Orange Seals...sure they work great while dry, but add a drop of lube and how much better do they work?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

I saw no improvements on good lines with either Reel Magic or KVD L&L, but only placebo effect for the first few casts. I will say, that both products destroys line if used for ice fishing in subfreezing temps. Except for braids, but that's another problem in itself for ice fishing. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:28 pm

I used it before KVD L&L conditioner came out. KVD L&L conditioner works well for me. I use it for flouro on spinning reels. I treat the line every 2nd or 3rd trip. No doubt in my mind that it makes a difference. I use the Reel Magic that I have now for lubricating seat posts and some trailer parts.