Sufix 832 - short lifespan in my experience

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sufix 832 - short lifespan in my experience

Post by cumara » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 pm

I've been using 20 lb. Sufix 832 on several of my reels for about 4-5 months now. I noticed that it seems to be fraying noticeably. If you look at the attached pic, the line looks like this for the first 15 feet and then gets a little better but you can still see the strands sticking out. I'm not fishing this line in heavy cover or near anything abrasive, and my rod guides are fine. I do like the thin diameter and slickness, but it seems to wear out faster than PowerPro or SPB. Anyone else noticed this?
832 fray IMG_5071.jpg
Sufix 832 fraying
832 fray IMG_5071.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 3430 times

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Sufix 832 - short lifespan in my experience

Post by bstuckey » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Is the line fraying the same on all of your combos? If so I would contact Sufix, enlighten them about your problems and concerns with the line and send them a couple of samples of the frayed line. Most manufactures are quite responsive to potential defective products.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:56 am

832 seems to get fuzzy quicker than other braids. I have only used the 50, but I felt like I needed to turn it around after only about 10 hours of use. Sufix needs to work on their coatings for braid.
Last edited by toddmc on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

T-Rig101
Angler
Angler

Post by T-Rig101 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I have been using 832 in 20 & 30 lb. and have seen no signs of damage. A few weeks ago I spooled 832 Ghost in 20lb and found it to a little raspy at first, but it smoothed out and became extremely smooth. It seems the more I fish it the better it gets. I do use a 6ft floro leader on all my rigs, but see no way that would have any impact on the braid. I only throw baitcasters and four of these have micro guides with Robert's wrap (Spiral wrapped).
That Pic is some really nasty line, so many ends exposed of what was once a continous strand. And why only 15ft?
On first look I felt it was clearly cut strands due to abrasion from something, but your guides checked OK. And if it was a guide wouldn't be more than 15ft.???
The line looks white, is it Ghost or faded green. I have no idea why, but ghost seems to be working slightly better than the green. Thanx for the Pic, and please let us know if you find the cause of this, I was really getting to like the 832 Ghost.....

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 am

The line is fraying the same on several different rod/reels, including spinning. It's the worst on the ones I use most frequently. The line in the photo is on a Core 50MG/Cumara Reaction ML. This was the green color, and the color did fade a lot, along with the fraying. I checked the Sufix website and was not able to find any contact information. I was primarily curious if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.

bstuckey wrote:Is the line fraying the same on all of your combos? If so I would contact Sufix, enlighten them about your problems and concerns with the line and send them a couple of samples of the frayed line. Most manufactures are quite responsive to potential defective products.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:38 am

I've got a sol that's been spooled with 832 green for more than a year now, and other than being faded to almost white, there's no fraying to speak of.. And it's prolly one of my most used combos.
I'd assume it's a defect. Find some contact info and sent the line or pics and they should step up and make it right.
Good luck. :D

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am

My 10# neon green has held up like a champ. Lots of fading in the first 30 feet, and a little fraying in the first 5 feet or so probably from brush, but never any breakoffs. And I many times use a 12# mono leader!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:07 am

This may sound strange, but in my experiences w/ braid from many different brands, I keep getting the
same results - 20# braid wears out the quickest and most brands of 10# braid are flat out awesome. In
fact, I have less breakoffs w/ 10# than I do w/ 20# braids. In braids 30# and up, my results vary between
brands. I like PP in 30# and love SP braid in 50#, although Suffix seems to fade faster than PP. I have NOT
had positive results with the 832 - almost the same problems cumara is having. :(

qdiddy
Angler
Angler

Post by qdiddy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 am

I had a similar problem to that, but was not as bad as what you are/were experiencing. I spooled 30lb 832 for about a month and a half? Most of the line loss was due to breakage when I snagged rocks and stumps, or something like that. However, I will say that comparing it to the original power pro and power pro superslick, the power pro lines are stronger, IMO. I currently have 30lb power pro slick on and its been a little over a month now, probably close to 2 months and I have not yet experienced any break offs, wether fish or snags. In fact, if I snag a tree and pull on the line, the hook bends and it pops off. The 832 would of broken off. I've always been a power pro guy but every year I try something new to see if I can find something better that doesn't cost too much. I think I've finally found a different braid for next year when the season starts again...next year, I will be spoolin Power Pro Super Slick....still a power pro guy.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:17 am

Wow...I strip off those worn out sections of my line long before it gets to that point. I do have to agree that the lifespan of Sufix 832 is much shorter than other braids I've used.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish