Braid for Cranking!!??

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid for Cranking!!??

Post by KillaBass » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:42 pm

i hear ya...but im sticking with braid ..i like using power pro by the way guys
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

aclark609
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aclark609 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:31 am

KillaBass wrote:i hear ya...but im sticking with braid ..i like using power pro by the way guys

I'm not tryin' to down you're love for power pro, but, honestly, you've got to try Sunline's FX2. Everything else should bow to it. Sunline's 50 lb has about the same diameter as Power Pro's 30 lb, lasts longer, and casts way better. I bought one spool back in spring and I still haven't used it all. The same three reels I spooled it with back in spring are still spooled with hardly any fading and absolutely no wear on the line.

aclark609
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aclark609 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:56 am

EJP1234 wrote:
JLP wrote:Hey EJP 1234,
Braid 30lb=8lb mono, You do the math. With your 200 days on the water for 20 years you should try it.Glass rods with braid. Remember, this is our opinion :-k

Your right, it's an opinion and I am stating mine... except mine seems to be a little bit more educated.. Braid has no stretch, but your using a parabolic rod? Your correct, braid has a smaller diameter, but it's the most bouyant line... see my point? For something you want to dive, wouldn't you want to use a line that sinks to assist in the depth reaching versus something that is bouyant and pulling back on it? Now your talking about adding a leader, for what, it's a reaction bait... only because the line your using isn't proper? It just all seems like none sense... Braid is by far not the end all be all line made, like everything else it has its purposes. Just this past year I think in Bassmasters John Crews and a few other pros contributed to an article where they said they stopped using braid for the most part all togther... why you say? One it's to visible to these highly pressured fish, two it makes a lot of noise, three it has zero stretch and coupled with a high end rod it's almost too sensitive causing pre-mature hook sets where they miss the fish.

I could care less what you throw which bait on which line or rod, I'm just pointing out the capt'n obvious answer to someone's question. I use braid, but I use it for froggin and flippin.

SOME braids are really buoyant, some actually sink a lot like fluorocarbon. Personally, I would throw fluoro on everything if it didn't cost so much money. I can spend 40 dollar on 300 yds of braid and buy small spools of fluoro for leaders that can last all year; whereas, I would end up spending a god awful amount more on fluoro alone. If I had loads of money on the line like John Crews and the other big dogs, however, I would just throw fluoro on probably everything. I do agree with you about reaction baits and fluorocarbon. Braid is just too stiff, but I can see where the other guys are comin' from. Hell, I've tried it, it works fine until you realize any fish foul hooked will come off, and any fish hitting at the boat will come off as well. At least, for me! :laugh1:

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Use a glass rod and you won't loose fish as bad as other style rods. Works for me anyway. [-o<

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 pm

powell graphite rod here
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:54 pm

This thread is humorous... A person asks some suggestions and every time he gets them from tenured sticks, he disputes it... :lol: