Red braid opinions?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Red braid opinions?

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:09 pm

I would like to know your opinions on using any red colored braid. With and without leaders. I have some red and black combos Pixy's, custom painted Fuego and 50th Zillion and thought red braid would be cool for aesthetics but wondered if anybody has had any problems with red braid. Other than the color fading.

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Red braid opinions?

Post by quickF4i » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:28 pm

i have red braid on about 8 of my reels and really have not noticed any difference than green ... its a little easier to see when throwing frogs into pads which helps. it does fade a little, but so does most other braid colors. but no discernible difference in quantity of fish caught IMO. i typically do not use leaders either.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Hard to see near dusk and on overcast days, fades to pink. Looks amazing on a CI4 or Core MG.

I like hi-vis yellow and notice no difference in catch rate, I use a fluoro leader when in clear water. Yellow line is the easiest to line watch with and if you fish near other people, they can easily see your line too so they don't cast over you.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:15 pm

red is the first colour to dissapear from the spectrum at depths of 30ft +. using it, supposedly dissapears altogether, although it still doesnt allows light to pass through it, so it likely appears grey/black to fish.
Set hard and set often