Has anyone used spool tape?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Has anyone used spool tape?

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:17 pm

I have heard that saltwater guys use some kind of spool tape for backing when using braid. Any of you guys use it? Does it help increase the amount of braid you can put on a spool. I have a Pixzilla and a PX Type R that I want to put braid on but it seems like I cannot get a lot of line when using 50-65lb braid. Does the tape leave a residue?

artiea
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Has anyone used spool tape?

Post by artiea » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:24 pm

point of the tape is to keep water out of perforated spools-little if any residue-but i suspect that if you dont put mono on, braid will slip on tape because tape is pretty slick an thin

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:47 pm

I believe the tape is added after a few turns of braid to anchor the braid to the spool so it doesn’t slip.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks guys. It sounds like it is not what I am looking for.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:14 pm

I have long used a couple of wraps of Teflon (plumber's) tape on my spool before I string it up. There's no real adhesive on the tape so no residue and braid clings to it very well and doesn't slip.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:51 am

Ditto on the thread tape. 3-4 wraps before adding any line.

Charles

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:29 am

I don't think there is anything you can ADD to the spool that will ADD to the reel's line capacity. Should be physically impossible...

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

steve, he just wants to use tape instead of a mono backing so that he can get more braid onto the spool. Several yards of mono backing could instead be braid.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 pm

godshippy wrote:steve, he just wants to use tape instead of a mono backing so that he can get more braid onto the spool. Several yards of mono backing could instead be braid.
Sorry...I got a little confused, since the backing wasn't mentioned....but I do feel your pain b/c the mono to braid knot also takes up room and can catch on a superlong cast w/o enough braid...I use the tape for this reason on my Stella 2000S. Once again, I apologize...I really wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, either...

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Someone else on here posted a little while back a great tip that I've tried since with perfect results. Wrap your braid around the spool 6 times, then tie your usual fishing knot (I use a san diego jam knot). No slip and you can completely pack your spool with braid :big grin:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:29 am

FYI - I use 20 lb braid with 1-1.5 ft of 15 lb mono tied to the spool to keep the line from slipping and to provide breakoff capabilities. I use 3-4 wraps of thread tape before wrapping the mono.

Charles
Last edited by fishsmart on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fishn_Fatboy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishn_Fatboy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 am

I might have to try the plumbers tape, i like that fact that it leaves your spool clean once its taken off. Good tips guys.
Dan Whicker
usmc 0331

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 am

l2yan wrote:Someone else on here posted a little while back a great tip that I've tried since with perfect results. Wrap your braid around the spool 6 times, then tie your usual fishing knot (I use a san diego jam knot). No slip and you can completely pack your spool with braid :big grin:
I tried this but it didn't work out. Apparently, if you spool at room temperature and step out to fish in sub-zero temperatures, the spool contracts just enough to cause significant slippage. ](*,)

Tried tape instead and it's been fine ever since.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:36 pm

bigreddog wrote:
l2yan wrote:Someone else on here posted a little while back a great tip that I've tried since with perfect results. Wrap your braid around the spool 6 times, then tie your usual fishing knot (I use a san diego jam knot). No slip and you can completely pack your spool with braid :big grin:
I tried this but it didn't work out. Apparently, if you spool at room temperature and step out to fish in sub-zero temperatures, the spool contracts just enough to cause significant slippage. ](*,)

Tried tape instead and it's been fine ever since.
Wow, that's crazy! I never thought of that, neither did I have any idea that the aluminum can get smaller due to temp drop!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 am

I have been using a couple wraps of 3M two sided tape for the past couple of years in fresh and salt water with good results. Braid grabs onto it really well. It will likely leave some goo if I ever remove it completely but I don't see that as a big deal. Solves two issues at once: line slippage and water penetration in the salt.