Stren Sonic Braid vs Power Pro Smoothness

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Stren Sonic Braid vs Power Pro Smoothness

Post by piscamaniac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 am

I bought some Stren Sonic braid and it has than rope like knobbly feel; I remember power pro was a bit like this. I haven't got any power pro to hand, so am wondering which braid (power pro or sonic) is the smoothest?

I've been using stren ultracast (nice and smooth) but its very thick for the claimed breaking strain (maybe I should go for one of the more expensive 8 braids).
Last edited by piscamaniac on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FKA Incognito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Stren Sonic Braid vs Power Pro Smoothness

Post by FKA Incognito » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Sonic and Ultracast are very comparable in smoothness. Power Pro is a bit more rough/noisy but its more an issue of personal preference then of performance.

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I used both Stren Sonic and Power Pro. Stren Sonic is thinner in diameter, less noisy, more limp, and smoother. However, the limpness of the Stren isnt for all applications. If you're pitching, it has a tendency to wrap around the rod tip, but it is great for long casting.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:13 pm

hmmm
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:21 pm

I didn't do a good job at explaining the line wrapping the rod tip. When I pitch, my rod is tip up and I like the rod come down a little fast to let the bait fall naturally, and the line will at times wrap around the rod tip. Not great on windy days either but smoother than Power Pro and way cheaper.

I use PowerPro for punching and swimbaits.

piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Post by piscamaniac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 am

FKA Incognito wrote:Sonic and Ultracast are very comparable in smoothness.
I didn't notice that at all for 20lb and 30lb test ultracast, in fact my 30lb spiderwire ultracast is a lot smoother than much thinner 30lb stren sonic; however, I've just purchased some 15lb ultracast and it is noticeably rougher and definitely has fewer strands than the 20lb ultracast. Which labeled breaking strains of ultracast have you used?

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Stren Sonic Braid is much smooth then Power Pro but I found the Sonic braid dug in more for me? I don't know why either and it was the 80 lb for muskie fishing/ bass fishing.

FKA Incognito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FKA Incognito » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:34 pm

piscamaniac wrote:
FKA Incognito wrote:Sonic and Ultracast are very comparable in smoothness.
I didn't notice that at all for 20lb and 30lb test ultracast, in fact my 30lb spiderwire ultracast is a lot smoother than much thinner 30lb stren sonic; however, I've just purchased some 15lb ultracast and it is noticeably rougher and definitely has fewer strands than the 20lb ultracast. Which labeled breaking strains of ultracast have you used?
I've just pulled out the following lines: Ultracast 15 and 30 lbs, Sonic braid 14 lbs, Power Pro 15 lbs. Definitely the smoothest is 30 lbs Ultracast (very smooth). Sonic braid 14 lbs and Ultracast 15 lbs are moderately smooth but indistinguishable. Power Pro 15 lbs is noticeably rougher. Using a magnifying apparatus it's very hard to see where this difference in smoothness comes from. So your observations seem to be right. I don't know what makes the difference between 15 and 30 lbs Ultracast.