Flourocarbon and Braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bk masters 69
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Flourocarbon and Braid

Post by bk masters 69 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm going to try some flourocarbon and braid this upcoming season. What kind of experiences has everybody had with the two? What kind of flourocarbon and braid do you all recommend? Good and bad. Do you use all braid or flouro on the reel or do you use mono with a flouro leader, or use braid with a flouro leader? What knots do you use to connect the different lines together with? What lines do you use on the baitcaster and the spinning reel? I know this is alot of questions, but wanting several different responses to see what everybody thought was! Thanks

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Flourocarbon and Braid

Post by Gblaze » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:20 pm

For most of my pitching into and through dense cover - I use Daiwa samurai 55lb test with a Tatsu 15lb fluoro leader. I use an albright special knot to connect the two - Here's the TT youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYeUl5bBCA

Then I use a standard palomar to tie the lure to the FC.
Its worked great for me, but the braid does seem to get hung up sometimes on my retrieves (not sure why)

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:48 am

I don't care what anybody says your looking for trouble tying a palomar knot with fluorocarbon.

I used the palomer for years. When I switched to fluoro I couldn't stand the line cause I kept breaking fish on hook sets. The palomer just doesn't work well with fluoro. I've broke #12 on bluegill do to the palomer.
There's many other knots to use with fluoro that work. I personally use the san Diego and double sd.

If you want to run leaders I really like the Albright.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:45 am

falcon wrote:I don't care what anybody says your looking for trouble tying a palomar knot with fluorocarbon.

I used the palomer for years. When I switched to fluoro I couldn't stand the line cause I kept breaking fish on hook sets. The palomer just doesn't work well with fluoro. I've broke #12 on bluegill do to the palomer.
There's many other knots to use with fluoro that work. I personally use the san Diego and double sd.

If you want to run leaders I really like the Albright.
Are you wetting the knot when you pull it? It may not be breaking- it may unravel if not set properly

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:02 am

I always wet my knot regardless what it is.

I can pop a palomar knot and break it rather easily with fluoro. I'm not telling you to stop using the palomar use whatever you like but I'll never use it again for fluoro. nothing like feeling a bite setting the hook in a tournament and the knot breaking before you ever even feel the weight of the fish.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Lefty3244
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lefty3244 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:02 am

This past year was my first full year of using braid. I use primarily spinning gear so I was throwing 10lb fireline in the flame green color. I do a lot of night fishing in the summer and this particular braid will glow with a blacklight. One thing I don't understand about braid is how they come up with the 10lb rating. That stuff will cut your hand before it breaks. Never just grab and pull it unless you want a nice deep cut. As far as flourocarbon goes I started using trilene professional grade. I used seaguar invisx at first tied with uni to uni knot and almost everytime that stuff would break at the leader knot instead of at the lure. I would have to retie both leader and lure every time. I switched to the trilene and it seemed to be much stronger. However, I tie the albright knot now and cannot comment on the invisx with that knot. The invisx I believer was a smaller diameter, which I liked. If you're switching from mono to braid be prepared for a whole new world. The sensitivity difference is ridiculous. You can feel your bait sliding down rocks and over tree limbs. The only down side of braid is the visibility in the water. I fished with a guy and I was throwing braid with a 12 ft leader and he was throwing straight flourocarbon and he was outfishing me 2 to 1. Granted, he spends more time on the water and is simply a better fisherman. His advice was, on very clear lakes, to downsize line and to leave the braid at home. You may want to take this into consideration if your home water is extremely clear. I'm not tossing the braid away, but definitely going to try downsized flourocarbon on the water this year and compare the results. This is only my opinion and what I've found out from my experiences. Give the braid a shot and I don't think you'll be disappointed one bit.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 am

I use 20 Lb Tuf-Line braid on all except my dedicated flipping stick (65lb). I found that by using a Flouro leader my catch ratio increased noticeably. So I now use a 3 foot 20lb test Flouro leader on all my rigs (except my flipping stick).

I've used Seagar, PLine and Bass Pro brand Flouro and notice no difference. All seem to work equally well for me.

I tie the regular clinch knot on my hooks with the Flouro. Have not had one fail yet. Improved Clinch I did have knot failures at the hook.

I tie a "Reuben Garrett Lucius Goldberg" knot to attach the flouro to the braid. :lol: I actually thought I'd stumbled upon this knot by accident, I saw a very similar version being shown of "Getting Schooled with JP DeRose". Basically a loop knot on the braid with an improved clinch on the flouro. Again zero failures with this and simple to tie (even with sausage fingers) :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

basspoundermatt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basspoundermatt » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:07 am

Im a big believer in as few knots as possible. so i do not run any leaders on my reels. I use either straight braid or straight flouro. I do use a backing but that doesnt matter cause the knot stays on your reel. Why do i want a knot in the water? Its weaker than just straight line and i dont like to have that risk.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 am

I never run a leader. For braid, I use Samurai in #55 on the frog rod and that is it. It will also go on a flipping stick when I get one. Just don't like flipping, but I need to learn it.

Went through a lot of FC and settled on Sunline. I like the Sniper FC. I have no issues with a palomar on FC, but it needs to be properly tied.